Hawaiian Shirts for Chic Nights

Just because you can it does not mean you should. There is nothing Chic about dressing like you are going to the Friday night fish fry at the local VFW. I look and wonder if this is what they wear to their bowing banquet at home. We only have one or two Chic nights, you are on a beautiful ship eating in a fine dining room (they have AC) why dress sloppy?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:
Just because you can it does not mean you should. There is nothing Chic about dressing like you are going to the Friday night fish fry at the local VFW. I look and wonder if this is what they wear to their bowing banquet at home. We only have one or two Chic nights, you are on a beautiful ship eating in a fine dining room (they have AC) why dress sloppy?

I am in total agreement with you.  I feel sorry for the lady who obviously likes to dress up for dinner or for chic night and her partner is dressed very informally.  Seems like an insult to the lady.  (Just my humble opinion)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’ve been wearing them around 20+ years now…

I recall the first time I attended the annual awards banquet held each summer for public safety personnel here in town many years ago.  I've never seen so many Hawaiian shirts in one room - it was nice to blend right in.  One of the best concealed carry shirts ever invented.  Our climate really doesn't allow for 365 use, though!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, southernbreezes said:

Who said anything about dressing sloppy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

I am in total agreement with you.  I feel sorry for the lady who obviously likes to dress up for dinner or for chic night and her partner is dressed very informally.  Seems like an insult to the lady.  (Just my humble opinion)

Feel sorry…perhaps they are just a couple who love one another and don’t worry about something that is no one else’s business 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, southernbreezes said:

So, not joking then...got it...

Cunard has a table for you!  (BTW, I sail Cunard and love 'em...)

• Like 3

I love to wear a bow tie so I can saunter up to the bar, and as I order my Martini, shaken not stirred, I pull my bow tie loose. And as I give it my Best British I’m-so-cool look, my wife looks over rolls her eyes and says, ‘No You are Not James Bond!’. I’m afraid I have more in common with Peter Sellers…oh well.

I once bought a Filipino Wedding shirt to wear more formally…..loved it. 

Den 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

No.  Nor am I surprised at the pettiness, which is why I said what I said.

Pettiness?  Are people not allowed to have an opinion?  Must we now say, flip flops, shorts and ripped tshirts are fine for dinner?  I guess you can call me petty then.  Sorry to ruin your day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

Silk Tommy Bahama yes but not chic night for me but we love to dress nice every night.  Never would I be caught dead in a Hawaiian shirt or cargo shorts that some old men love. Save your Hawaiian **** for Hawaii. 

Who said anything about cargo shorts. Please don't mix the two together.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Pettiness?  Are people not allowed to have an opinion?  Must we now say, flip flops, shorts and ripped tshirts are fine for dinner?  I guess you can call me petty then.  Sorry to ruin your day.

Opinions are fine - everyone has them.  IMO, there are ways to express opinions without pettiness.  I understand it might be difficult to refrain though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

So, no dressing like people who are members of an organization that requires it's members to have served in hostile areas, usually under threat of fire.

Got it...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dlh015 said:

So, not joking then...got it...

Cunard has a table for you!  (BTW, I sail Cunard and love 'em...)

I stopped wearing a Tux years ago. Stopped wearing ties also. I really did not know they even sold those 80's Hawaiian shirts anymore maybe buy on line? When you get older and get out of shape with a beer gut it seems the untucked shirt is the way to go I get it. There is lots of dress shirts you do not have to tuck in that are Chic. I am not saying wear a suite and tie. My wife loves to dress nice and she is the best or one of the best dressed women on the ship. appearance is important to us, but that's us . Celebrity is perfect for me but I do not want it to turn into a Carnival Cruise line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, Oklahoma Cruiser 2012 said:

Hi, 

I have a few Hawaiian Shirts (button up short sleeve) that I got from Hilo Hattie's on my last trip to the Islands. Would one be acceptable on a Chic Night on a Caribbean Cruise?  It'll be on the Millennium in March.  First cruise on Celebrity FWIW. 

Thanks 

I just LIVE in Hawaiian Shirts while on-board!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Opinions are fine - everyone has them.  IMO, there are ways to express opinions without pettiness.  I understand it might be difficult to refrain though.

If we’re going to get rid of the pettiness I think we could also get rid of the sarcasm.  Just my opinion.  /s

15 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I’m a fan of the Hawaiian shirt and enjoy seeing them any night in any venue. One person’s opinion, yours may differ. Evening chic can be expressed in a lot of ways. Why is it ok for women to choose a colorful print silk top to wear but men can’t? 

Maybe 30 years ago I had a colorful Malaysian shirt.  My husband is from there.  I wore it once to a dinner for someone’s grandmother.  It didn’t go with anything else.  Eventually I gave it away.

I even had a Hawaiian shirt but gave it away.  Women don’t tend to wear blouses in a million different colors.  Men do.  Maybe we’re trying to imitate animals?

21 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I’m a fan of the Hawaiian shirt and enjoy seeing them any night in any venue. One person’s opinion, yours may differ. Evening chic can be expressed in a lot of ways. Why is it ok for women to choose a colorful print silk top to wear but men can’t? 

Oh you and your logic

2 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

I stopped wearing a Tux years ago. Stopped wearing ties also. I really did not know they even sold those 80's Hawaiian shirts anymore maybe buy on line? When you get older and get out of shape with a beer gut it seems the untucked shirt is the way to go I get it. There is lots of dress shirts you do not have to tuck in that are Chic. I am not saying wear a suite and tie. My wife loves to dress nice and she is the best or one of the best dressed women on the ship. appearance is important to us, but that's us . Celebrity is perfect for me but I do not want it to turn into a Carnival Cruise line.

Go to Hawaii. 🤣 

No need to tell us why you don't tuck in your shirt. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1