Are pesos needed?

redsox1584

Are pesos needed?  No usually.  Are using pesos smart?  Yep.  We live in Puerto Vallarta part of the year and never use dollars (nor do any of our friends who live in PV).  On the other hand, you can certainly use dollars most places and accept the exchange rate.  I have often said that there are 3 sets of prices in most Mexican cruise ports.  1. the normal Mexican price  2.  Gringo prices and 3. prices for those off of cruise ships.  And you can guess who gets the worst price :).

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Are pesos needed?  No usually.  Are using pesos smart?  Yep.  We live in Puerto Vallarta part of the year and never use dollars (nor do any of our friends who live in PV).  On the other hand, you can certainly use dollars most places and accept the exchange rate.  I have often said that there are 3 sets of prices in most Mexican cruise ports.  1. the normal Mexican price  2.  Gringo prices and 3. prices for those off of cruise ships.  And you can guess who gets the worst price :).

Hank

Good to know…thank you!  I think I may bring some with me just in case!

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

For the couple of things I might purchase..it's not worth it. $8.00 for the two of us to get from cruise ship to the Malecon sounds fine to us.

For those spending months there of course pesos are a better deal....but I don't think the OP is one of those.:classic_wink:

• Like 3

If I remember to get them I will but I’m not going to worry too much about it. I was more concerned about tipping our tour guides and also if we take a taxi somewhere and it sounds like USD are fine for that purpose. 

thank you both for your input 😀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, redsox1584 said:

If I remember to get them I will but I’m not going to worry too much about it. I was more concerned about tipping our tour guides and also if we take a taxi somewhere and it sounds like USD are fine for that purpose. 

Tour guides are happy to accept US Dollars.

Hank

• Like 3

23 hours ago, redsox1584 said:

While not necessary, you can simply get pesos at a Bank ATM during you first stop.  I would stick to the machines at true banks - BBVA, Banamex, Banorte, Santander, etc - and see what is cheapest in terms of fees with respect to your bank at home.  ATM's in bars and restaurants I wouldn't touch in either the US or Mexico.

BTW - ATM's have been my default exchange method for many years regardless of destination although I do tend to buy pesos before entering Mexico from the US when visiting Baja.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

Most of the stores, taxis, restaurants, etc are happy to take dollars, but the exchange rates are often bad.  After all, the store keeper needs to make a trip to the bank to get the US $ exchanged, because he/she probably doesn't have a US dollar account.  It costs him/her time and money and subjects him/her to the risks of market fluctuations.  So you have to pay what I call a convenience factor.

Compared to the cost of a cruise vacation, this is nothing, a mere bagatelle.  

Although I dismiss the lousy exchange rate as a trifle, I admit that before my last Mexican cruise, I bought a few hundred dollars worth of pesos at a commercial exchange rate.  The interest rate is so low that I still have the excess pesos in my sock drawer waiting for my next Mexican cruise.

By the way, when  using US bills, be prepared to pay in small bills.  Don't pay for a couple of t-shirts with a hundred dollar bill and expect to get change in US twenties.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 4:31 PM, SelectSys said:

BTW - ATM's have been my default exchange method for many years regardless of destination although I do tend to buy pesos before entering Mexico from the US when visiting Baja.

When using an ATM be sure to decline the banks conversation rate and let your bank do it.  It's usually the last option on the screen before it spits out the pesos.  Most people think if you decline it cancels the transaction, which it doesn't.  If near Baja at San Diego the Costco in Chula Vista on Broadway sells pesos for a no fee and high exchange rate.  When we cross we go there or we buy them at the ATM at the grocery store we shop in Puerto Nuevo.  Also keep in mind the local merchants can set their own exchange rate if you pay in USD.  The current bank rate is about 20 pesos to the USD.  I see merchants giving 17 or 18 if you pay in USD.  Again, not a big deal for what most people buy on a shore excursion, but when we buy two weeks groceries or a TV it makes a difference.  If you have a Wells Fargo account they use to FedEx you pesos.  I did it a couple of times until I figured out the exchange rate was terrible.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 4:46 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If near Baja at San Diego the Costco in Chula Vista on Broadway sells pesos for a no fee and high exchange rate

Costco knows their customers.  This almost reminds me of their deals on chicken and hot dogs!  Get the people coming in!

ATM at the grocery store we shop in Puerto Nuevo

Is this ATM inside Calimax?  Who owns the machine?  

f you have a Wells Fargo account

Wells Fargo is the worst for exchange services from my experience too. I used their service to send money to Mexico a couple of times and it was better to simply go to the local market to send money south.

Edited by SelectSys

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Is this ATM inside Calimax?  Who owns the machine?  

Yes, there are 2-3 bank ATM's just to the right as you walk in.  They are all different banks ATM.  I can't recall which banks.  I know one is Santander and might be an HSBC.  The instructions are in both English and Spanish.  There are also 4-5 inside the Soraina by city hall in Rosarito.  They are near the exit by the security guard.  Again all bank owned BBVA, Santander, etc.  

On 8/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Yes, there are 2-3 bank ATM's just to the right as you walk in.  They are all different banks ATM.  I can't recall which banks.  I know one is Santander and might be an HSBC.  The instructions are in both English and Spanish.  There are also 4-5 inside the Soraina by city hall in Rosarito.  They are near the exit by the security guard.  Again all bank owned BBVA, Santander, etc.  

Thanks - I was just curious about Calimax.  Calimax is a nice addition to the area for people that live/visit to the south and don't want to go all the way to Rosarito.

26 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Thanks - I was just curious about Calimax.  Calimax is a nice addition to the area for people that live/visit to the south and don't want to go all the way to Rosarito.

We do all our major grocery shopping at the Calimax at Puerto Nuevo.  The one in Playas is suppose to be even nicer and newer.  

• Like 1

If you plan on things like eating in a restaurant, buying a few trinkets and tipping a tour guide, U.S. dollars are fine unless you can easily access pesos and exchange them back easily.

If you are planning on buying $1,000 worth of silver jewelry then exchanging into pesos is worth the effort.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you are planning on buying $1,000 worth of silver jewelry then exchanging into pesos is worth the effort.

Especially since the merchant can set their own exchange rate.  We have a couple of places we like to eat and when we first moved here we paid a little more (tourist rate) than we do now (local rate).  Many times the bill comes showing both USD and Pesos.  I do the math some times just to see and I have seen merchants set their exchange rate at 17 to 1, when the going bank rate is closer to 20 to 1.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Especially since the merchant can set their own exchange rate.  We have a couple of places we like to eat and when we first moved here we paid a little more (tourist rate) than we do now (local rate).  Many times the bill comes showing both USD and Pesos.  I do the math some times just to see and I have seen merchants set their exchange rate at 17 to 1, when the going bank rate is closer to 20 to 1.  

I don't think I've ever used pesos in Ensenada, Rosarito or Tijuana. Before Lipitor went generic I used to get my prescription refilled at Costco TJ because it was $30 for a 90 day supply vs $300 in San Diego.

When I go to MX for more than a day or two, I do get pesos from an ATM from Santander.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, scottca075 said:

I don't think I've ever used pesos in Ensenada, Rosarito or Tijuana. Before Lipitor went generic I used to get my prescription refilled at Costco TJ because it was $30 for a 90 day supply vs $300 in San Diego.

When I go to MX for more than a day or two, I do get pesos from an ATM from Santander.

Most RX's here are cheaper, others aren't or you can't even get them here.  I just checked for one of mine and I'm actually switching to the Amazon Pharmacy.  It's $100 cheaper for 90 day supply.  Roma is a big pharmacy in the area and like most pharmacy's they have a MD office connected, usually right next door.  Quick consult with the MD ($30) and walk next door for your RX.  Most of the expats in our complex do that.  In Baja Norte just about everybody takes USD it just depends how much you want to get ripped in the exchange.  We use which ever bank ATM has the shortest line, or is working, for getting pesos or if in San Diego we get them at the Costco.  People who make big purchases here (cars, furniture, etc) will use a couple of different currency transfer services and move money when the exchange rate is favorable.       

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 5:06 PM, redsox1584 said:

Take small denominations of bills so you wont need any change.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, geomarc said:

Take small denominations of bills so you wont need any change.  

that’s what I ended up doing…I had small bills in US dollars so I could buy a few souvenirs. I also had a credit card that has no foreign fees so I utilized that a few times. 

I also tipped the tour guides in US dollars they were happy to take them 😃 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, redsox1584 said:

I also tipped the tour guides in US dollars they were happy to take them 😃 

Nobody here will turn down USD.  It does put a little burden on the smaller shops to get them exchanged as the MX banks charge them an unreasonable conversion fee for deposits  

• 2 weeks later...

If your bank is a member of the Global ATM Alliance (44,000 cash machines in over 40 countries) you can use your debit card to withdraw in pesos with no surcharge or access fees.  I deal with Scotiabank in Canada and there are a ton of Scotiabanks in Latin America and the Caribbean which makes it cheap, safe, and easy to get local currencies plus I can also use the other Global Alliance banks for free ATM access. 

BTW:

• Bank of America in the U.S. is affiliated with Scotiabank in Mexico.
  • HSBC in the U.S. is affiliated with HSBC Mexico.
  • Santander, in the U.S., is affiliated with Santander Mexico.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:58 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Nobody here will turn down USD.  It does put a little burden on the smaller shops to get them exchanged as the MX banks charge them an unreasonable conversion fee for deposits  

But please remember NO COINS! They cannot be exchanged.