Does Anyone Know How Full Ships are Since the Loosening of Covid Restricticions?

Let Me Travel!

Just wondering if anyone knows how full (percentage) the ships are right now? When I cruised on another cruise line to Alaska in June, the ship was only 50% full and their restrictions had been dropped earlier than Viking loosened theirs. How full are the ships now? I do notice that it seems that the excursions are sold out…is this because Viking is holding back some? Or are they hiring fewer groups/guides? Does anyone know?

• Like 1

We just recently returned from a Viking Homelands cruise.  We had 710 guests and 450 crew.  The ship holds 930 guests.   We were told by crew that the ship would be full to capacity with guests on the sailing after we disembarked.

I personally don't think there is any intentional limiting happening now.

• Like 1

Just back from British Isles Explorer and the captain, in his welcome comments, mentioned 860+ passengers.  Ship was full and in almost  ten ocean cruises I must admit it was the first one that at times felt crowded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We just recently returned from a Viking Homelands cruise.  We had 710 guests and 450 crew.  The ship holds 930 guests.   We were told by crew that the ship would be full to capacity with guests on the sailing after we disembarked.

I agree.  I think Viking will sell to capacity minus the 10 or 11 (?) Veranda cabins they hold for quarantine on deck 3 portside.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Our cabin guy told us 540 on the same cruise.

• Like 1

I wonder if some ships have staffing issues, and have reduced passenger capacity to match?

It would not surprise me if many veteran on board service people found shore side employment during the two year pause. At the same time, the hospitality training facilities were not educating new staff.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

I wonder if some ships have staffing issues, and have reduced passenger capacity to match?

It would not surprise me if many veteran on board service people found shore side employment during the two year pause. At the same time, the hospitality training facilities were not educating new staff.

And it shows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Our cabin guy told us 540 on the same cruise.

The Captain stated in both the welcome his final address that there were 710 on the ship.  540 is the amount of crew.  Your cabin guy was wrong or you were not listening to the Captain.  I put my bet on the Captain.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

The Captain stated in both the welcome his final address that there were 710 on the ship.  540 is the amount of crew.  Your cabin guy was wrong or you were not listening to the Captain.  I put my bet on the Captain.

Never heard the captain. That's why I asked the steward. He also said they were "booked solid" for subsequent cruises. Were we on the same cruise? 540 is the crew? Heard several other numbers from other cruisers who "heard."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Since that information is posted on the Bridge, my bet is also with the Captain and any of the Deck Officers. It is also updated, when pax are disembarked for medical, or other reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Never heard the captain. That's why I asked the steward. He also said they were "booked solid" for subsequent cruises. Were we on the same cruise? 540 is the crew? Heard several other numbers from other cruisers who "heard."

If you want to ask one of the Stewards a question regarding the ship's operation, best one to ask is the "Captain's Tiger", not a regular cabin steward. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, molymoo said:

Just back from British Isles Explorer and the captain, in his welcome comments, mentioned 860+ passengers.  Ship was full and in almost  ten ocean cruises I must admit it was the first one that at times felt crowded.

I wonder why?  We have been doing onboard when it was completely full (including the Owner’s Suite) and the only time it felt crowded was reboarding in a couple of Chinese ports but that was due to port security, not Viking. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If you want to ask one of the Stewards a question regarding the ship's operation, best one to ask is the "Captain's Tiger", not a regular cabin steward. 

I have not heard this term.  Can you tell me what, or who, would be the "Captain's Tiger".  (Not the individual's name)     Thanks

Edited by FetaCheese
addl info
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

I have not heard this term.  Can you tell me what, or who, would be the "Captain's Tiger".  (Not the individual's name)     Thanks

The Captain's Tiger is the Captain's Steward. They know everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 2:41 PM, Clay Clayton said:

I wonder why?  We have been doing onboard when it was completely full (including the Owner’s Suite) and the only time it felt crowded was reboarding in a couple of Chinese ports but that was due to port security, not Viking. 

Not sure what the difference was but we have noticed that each cruise has it's own "vibe".  This one had a "everyone wants to do everything" vibe and I'm guessing that is has to do with the fact that for many (us included) it was the first significant trip "post-COVID".  The restaurant was hopping every night ... many nights the reception area was full and one night it took more than twenty minutes to get to the podium and then there was a wait after giving our name to the maitre d.  Thorshaven was hopping nearly every night and it was often a challenge to find a seat.  The world cafe was packed most mornings but this was the first time we had an occasion where we literally couldn't find any seating during our first "circle".  This was the first time we were not able to book Manfredis onboard.  There was no availability for two for any night, any time for the entire cruise!  

This is all mentioned not to complain ... we had a wonderful trip and the Viking quality of service was top notch in every way!  Just an observation that things did feel a bit different this time around.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

Just an observation that things did feel a bit different this time around

Absolutely.  We were on the July 1 British Isles trip and everywhere seemed busy or crowded. Nothing like prior trips.

Currently on the Jupiter. 850 passengers. The only places it has felt crowded was in the Star Theater and on the pool deck for the blue nose/crossing into the arctic circle ceremony. 

On 7/20/2022 at 1:12 PM, sarclar said:

On the Venus currently there are 864 passengers.  

We were supposed to be on your sailing but came down with Covid just before the sailing date in addition to some other issues.  Any stories to share?  Is there much quarantining going on?

Sure was nice onboard this past winter when the ship was about 1/2 capacity!!!  We ate regularly at the Chef's Table and Manfredi's, had window seats in the main dining room and could could always get a table for breakfast in Mamsen's. You could walk in the theatre at show time and get a good seat and the few times we tendered we walked on!  Great seats at the bar or the windows in Explorer's Lounge were almost always available.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, molymoo said:

Not sure what the difference was but we have noticed that each cruise has it's own "vibe".  This one had a "everyone wants to do everything" vibe and I'm guessing that is has to do with the fact that for many (us included) it was the first significant trip "post-COVID".

Your t observation makes perfect sense. folks are ready to make the most of their  vacation  after a long drought.  I do feel lucky I chanced it and did two cruises in 2021 when the ships were less than half full. Good to see ship are now full again. Glad you enjoyed your cruise overall.