Dress code question - European cruises

GCS15/15

Hi all.

I’m  asking as we’ve only cruised once before (with Royal Carribean) and got a bit mixed up with the dress code then, being more formal than the FAQs seemed to imply.  
We are looking at a late deal in around a week’s time on Silhouette and noted the ‘evening chic’ dress code.  Does this apply as it is written on Med cruises?  I have a feeling the way it’s written is really for the US / Caribbean market, but do we take it at face value for a European cruise as well?

I’ll take my black tie,  but do I go and get my teen sons (15 and 18) suits (or at very least, jackets)?

TIA

Edited by GCS15/15

• GCS15/15 changed the title to Dress code question - European cruises
31 minutes ago, GCS15/15 said:

I’ll take my black tie,  but do I go and get my teen sons (15 and 18) suits (or at very least, jackets)?

TIA

The European destinations do tend to skew a bit more formal, but it really is still an accurate description and smart pants and and shirt will be perfectly fine for the teens, no need for jackets.

Even the black tie for yourself is really not needed, but you will not be alone if you do decide to wear it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GCS15/15 said:

Hi all.

I’m  asking as we’ve only cruised once before (with Royal Carribean) and got a bit mixed up with the dress code then, being more formal than the FAQs seemed to imply.  
We are looking at a late deal in around a week’s time on Silhouette and noted the ‘evening chic’ dress code.  Does this apply as it is written on Med cruises?  I have a feeling the way it’s written is really for the US / Caribbean market, but do we take it at face value for a European cruise as well?

TIA

Hi

TBH I love Celebrity's "Evening Chic" dress code vs other cruise lines. You will see some in full Black Tie and long evening dresses for the ladies, however I would normally dress how I would go to a nice restaurant. Last few cruises i would wear either trousers or smart dark jeans, smart shoes, a nice collared shirt and possibly a jacket ...... most of the time I wouldn't even see the need for a tie. Its fairly relaxed and you will see a multitude of outfits and I've never felt out of place or uncomfortable. Its a holiday, dress how you like (within reason) and Celebrity is our main choice for cruising these days due to the more relaxed (yet still smart enough) dress codes. The vast majority of the ship will probably be in shirt and trousers or smart jeans (no shorts in MDR) and perhaps 10% in formal attire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi , treat the evening chic like going to a nice restaurant , no need for a suit especially for the boys. My DH usually takes a jacket for such evening and also if it's a little cooler he has something to wear rather than a sweater. he doesn't take a tie unless he takes a suit!! The boys will be fine in trousers or nice jeans and a shirt (long or short sleeve) or a nice polo shirt.

Ladies tend to wear nice dresses a little dressier than everyday wear or a glittery top and nice trousers.

Hope that is helpful

• Like 3

We just returned from the med. We had 3 evening chic nights on a 10-day. I would say there were 2 groups that attended in the MDR - those that enjoyed dressing up for dinner and those that just went business casual ir casual. You see the occasional tux but, for those that dressed for dinner, it was dress pants, a button down shirt and a jacket. My husband only brought one pair of dress pants and regretted it. We brought our teen daughter and she wore a nice dress each night - not an evening gown but a nice dress. Your boys will be fine with dress pants and a golf shirt or button down. BUT - if you want to go all out, please do…I think those that do are fun!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will wear on the Reflection next month the same I wear for non-Chic nights, long comfortable golf type pants and a short sleeve button up shirt or a nice golf shirt. I haven't taken a coat and tie on a cruise for the last 10 years. Summer months in the Mediterranean are too hot for designer jeans or a tux. My DW will wear most likely a lightweight summer dress and blouse. We will be in Italy and Greece for over a month so we have packing room for anything more.

• Like 4

We sailed the Med in May and saw very few people dress up. Not many coats or ties and less tuxes and evening gowns……actually I don’t even recall seeing any tuxes or evening gowns on any of the 3 chic nights. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I decided many years ago that I knew no one on the cruise.  I wasn't trying to impress anyone and there was no "best dressed" contest.  Thus, I began packing black slacks and dress blouses.  I can't remember wearing a dress in about 20 at home or on a cruise.

You are cruising for your enjoyment pleasure.  Do what makes you happy.  For me life is to short to worry about what to wear on a cruise.

With airlines charging per bag, I take what fits in what is permitted for free.  If it doesn't fit, it stays home.

Happy Sails

• Like 5

8 hours ago, GCS15/15 said:

Hi all.

TIA

We will be on the same cruise as you I think. We will be “dressed up” for Evening Chic nights, and love seeing other families doing the same. Sort of makes it “special” Equally, if people want to be dress in a more relaxed way that’s fine too. Just do what makes you feel good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just come off the Reflection and their Adriatic Cruise . Very - very few dinner jackets. Some sports jackets  and smart shirts without a tie. Few long dresses.

It has become more casual over the years. I don't know what Cunard's like these days, but they tend to be more "dressy"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

We sailed the Med in May and saw very few people dress up. Not many coats or ties and less tuxes and evening gowns……actually I don’t even recall seeing any tuxes or evening gowns on any of the 3 chic nights. 

Same on our Beyond cruise in May (from Barcelona to Rome).

Long pants and decent polo shirt or short/long arm shirt  (no collarless T-shirts will be fine for your boys and yourself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Michidoeme said:

Same on our Beyond cruise in May (from Barcelona to Rome).

Long pants and decent polo shirt or short/long arm shirt  (no collarless T-shirts will be fine for your boys and yourself.

just noticed that I forgot bracket and this distorts meaning of sentence.  Should be :
Long pants and decent polo shirt or short/long arm shirt  (NO collarless T-shirts)  will be fine for your boys and yourself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michidoeme said:

just noticed that I forgot bracket and this distorts meaning of sentence.  Should be :
Long pants and decent polo shirt or short/long arm shirt  (NO collarless T-shirts)  will be fine for your boys and yourself.

PUNCTUATION

An English professor wrote the words:

“A woman without her man is nothing”

on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly.  

All of the males in the class wrote:

“A woman, without her man, is nothing.”

All the females in the class wrote:

“A woman, without her, man is nothing.”

Punctuation is powerful

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

We just returned from the med. We had 3 evening chic nights on a 10-day. I would say there were 2 groups that attended in the MDR - those that enjoyed dressing up for dinner and those that just went business casual ir casual. You see the occasional tux but, for those that dressed for dinner, it was dress pants, a button down shirt and a jacket. My husband only brought one pair of dress pants and regretted it. We brought our teen daughter and she wore a nice dress each night - not an evening gown but a nice dress. Your boys will be fine with dress pants and a golf shirt or button down. BUT - if you want to go all out, please do…I think those that do are fun!! 

It will be 3 years between cruises when we go in October so I need a refresher. I see you said on your 10 day you had 3 chic nights. Celebrity FAQ's says 6 nights or less 1 chic, 7 nights or more 2. My recollection was that we also had 3 on our October '19 transatlantic. We are on a 9  and 15 night back to back trying to plan. Would the 9 night have 2 or 3?

23 minutes ago, sasset said:

It will be 3 years between cruises when we go in October so I need a refresher. I see you said on your 10 day you had 3 chic nights. Celebrity FAQ's says 6 nights or less 1 chic, 7 nights or more 2. My recollection was that we also had 3 on our October '19 transatlantic. We are on a 9  and 15 night back to back trying to plan. Would the 9 night have 2 or 3?

I dont dress any different on Evening Chic than any other evening. I wear a Polo or collared shirt with black or grey jeans. On one of our cruises we were to have 2 EC nights. The captain added a 3rd Evening Chic. So you never know.  

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

PUNCTUATION

An English professor wrote the words:

“A woman without her man is nothing”

on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly.  

All of the males in the class wrote:

“A woman, without her man, is nothing.”

All the females in the class wrote:

“A woman, without her, man is nothing.”

Punctuation is powerful

👍  👏

• Like 1

We just returned last month from a 2 week cruise out of Southampton on the Silhouette.  We were surprised to see only a few dinner jackets and no kilts.  Many of the ladies were in cocktail attire, but no long gowns.  Most of the men wore coats either with or without ties.  Tom wore a coat and tie, and I wore my little black cocktail dress.  I think your boys will  be comfortable in long pants and a nice shirt. 

Enjoy your trip. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GCS15/15 said:

Hi all.

TIA

What I believe you can gather from the above responses is that the dress code does not change for European cruises.  Even if the customs tend more toward the formal, it is not required.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hampshirelad said:

Just come off the Reflection and their Adriatic Cruise . Very - very few dinner jackets. Some sports jackets  and smart shirts without a tie. Few long dresses.

It has become more casual over the years. I don't know what Cunard's like these days, but they tend to be more "dressy"

We were on the Reflection on a Baltic cruise (3 years ago, may be one of the last visits to St Petersburg).  Passengers were a mix of people from all over the world.  People looked very smart, yet casual in the evenings.  Tuxes and gowns are so rare these days, no matter the cruise.     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sasset said:

We were expecting two chic nights because of the guidelines. Based on our experience, plan for an extra night. We just brought things we could repurpose. For example, a black dress that could be styled multiple ways. Enjoy your trip!!

• Like 1