Lobster

zukecruiser

Will be on Princess cruise from New York to Quebec this September.  Looking for any suggestions or recommendations for a lobster dinner or lunch in any of the ports that we will visit on this cruise.  Have done this cruise before but never had the dinner experience.

Mike

19 minutes ago, zukecruiser said:

Looking for any suggestions or recommendations for a lobster dinner or lunch in any of the ports that we will visit on this cruise.  Have done this cruise before but never had the dinner experience.

It really depends on what ports you are going to. Anywhere along the Atlantic Coast will have good lobster options. 

In Boston Neptune Oyster in the North End has a fantastic lobster roll-- would say its one of the best I've ever had. James Hook & Co on the waterfront does a great traditional cooked whole lobster by the pound. 

Outside of Halifax, The Shore Club near Hubbards does a pretty solid lobster dinner and there is usually live music-- timing might not line up if you have a normal port call without a later departure. Some others might have a recommendation in Halifax proper-- haven't had a lobster dinner there before.

I wouldn't wait until you are in the St Lawrence in Quebec though-- the fresh stuff will be on the Atlantic coast.  

45 minutes ago, zukecruiser said:

Will be on Princess cruise from New York to Quebec this September.  Looking for any suggestions or recommendations for a lobster dinner or lunch in any of the ports that we will visit on this cruise.  Have done this cruise before but never had the dinner experience.

Mike

If going to Halifax we enjoy very much Salty's along Harbor Walk.

We go on each visit and looking forward this September 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:44 AM, princeton123211 said:

Also Barking Crab on the way into the city from the cruise terminal. 

True, but if you go that far I'd just go to Hook, if it's lobster you want.

If it's Young Urban Professionals, then Barking Crab is your spot!

On 7/23/2022 at 8:48 AM, Nitemare said:

Yankee Lobster is a short walk from the Boston cruise port

You have to get their lobster mac and cheese. You're right about the short walk, only 3 blocks. Then visit Harpoon Brewery. You'll pass it on the way back to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 11:46 AM, zukecruiser said:

Mike

Mike, you don't say what ports you will be visiting? I live on Cape Cod in MA, and while our lobsters are good--they don't compare to the lobster in ME. IMHO, the colder the water the better the lobster. Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 11:46 AM, zukecruiser said:

Mike

Mike,

Hi from Brooklyn, NY....... We are sailing on the Queen Mary 2 and will be seeing you about two times on our sailing at Quebec & Saguenay.

Sorry I don't have somewhere at those ports to suggest a Lobster meal. As mentioned before, we enjoy ours at Halifax. Hope you do find somewhere. Having Lobster in Halifax proves Cold Water Lobster is GREAT!. The meat is so sweet and delicate.

Bon Voyage! 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, zukecruiser said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  Will probably check out lobster in Halifax, have read favorable comments in this and other posts.

Mike

Our favorite Seafood Restaurant in Halifax is Salty's along the Harborway Walk. We repeat our visit each time. And friends love it.

• 2 weeks later...

we are currently on NYC to Quebec City and doing the return Quebec City bathisck to NYC - total 20 days.  All of the stops are repeat, except once in Newport, RI, once in Saint John going, not hitting those stops coming back.

Newport RI - we ate at the Newport Lobster Shack.  when you get off the tender boat go to the left - there will be a portable food truck, but we walked to the main eatery, the lady can give you directions

one 3 oz lobster roll is $20.00 and one 6 oz is $29.00 

We did not eat in Bar Harbor - we will hit somewhere when we return next week.

Did not eat in Saint John

Halifx - we got off and walk to the right and followed down the port - we were at pier 22, go past 21 and continue to the walk along the water.  In the middle about 1/2 mile is a bunch of different eateries.  One was Dave's Lobster.  For $29.00 CAD it was a 4 oz lobster roll with chips (comes is about $22.00  US) - very good - had it warm with melted butter

Sydney - get off the ship go past the big Fiddle - walk up the hill to the street "Esplanade" cross at the light to the other side and continue to walk down the street (going to right) a few buildings down is the Governor's Pub - a black building.

Lobster roll lunch is $29.00 CAD with fries - again about $22.00 US

not as good as Davey's but okay

will report more stops when we have more lobster rolls

• Like 1

today was Port Charlottetown

plenty of places for lobster as you get off the ship.  We walked around and ended up at the Peake's Wharf area, not too far walk to the left of ship.

Saw a Davy;s Lobster

4 oz lobster roll and chips were $29.00 CAD - for a few dollars more (don't know how much a few dollars more) they will give you 5 oz.

We ordered it warm with butter - very good

again you will see lots of places and they are pretty much the same price.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, roxievegas said:

we are currently on NYC to Quebec City and doing the return Quebec City bathisck to NYC - total 20 days.  All of the stops are repeat, except once in Newport, RI, once in Saint John going, not hitting those stops coming back.

Newport RI - we ate at the Newport Lobster Shack.  when you get off the tender boat go to the left - there will be a portable food truck, but we walked to the main eatery, the lady can give you directions

one 3 oz lobster roll is $20.00 and one 6 oz is $29.00 

We did not eat in Bar Harbor - we will hit somewhere when we return next week.

Did not eat in Saint John

Halifx - we got off and walk to the right and followed down the port - we were at pier 22, go past 21 and continue to the walk along the water.  In the middle about 1/2 mile is a bunch of different eateries.  One was Dave's Lobster.  For $29.00 CAD it was a 4 oz lobster roll with chips (comes is about $22.00  US) - very good - had it warm with melted butter

Sydney - get off the ship go past the big Fiddle - walk up the hill to the street "Esplanade" cross at the light to the other side and continue to walk down the street (going to right) a few buildings down is the Governor's Pub - a black building.

Lobster roll lunch is $29.00 CAD with fries - again about $22.00 US

not as good as Davey's but okay

will report more stops when we have more lobster rolls

Was the lobster roll at the Governor's Pub a special, or is it on the main menu? I've been looking at restaurants in Sydney and haven't seen lobster roll on any of the website menus. 

I have a vague memory of food trucks or shacks at Sydney, but maybe that was somewhere else. I was hoping for a quick lunch before my tour leaves. 

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Was the lobster roll at the Governor's Pub a special, or is it on the main menu? I've been looking at restaurants in Sydney and haven't seen lobster roll on any of the website menus. 

I have a vague memory of food trucks or shacks at Sydney, but maybe that was somewhere else. I was hoping for a quick lunch before my tour leaves. 

The Governor's Pub was the only place we saw lobster roll - not many easting places. The have two menus - the lobster roll and other lobster dishes were on a separate menu.   We will not go back there after having to great Lobster Rolls in Charottletown and Halifx - will be going back there on the return trip.

The only food truck we saw was in Newport, RI

1 hour ago, roxievegas said:

The Governor's Pub was the only place we saw lobster roll - not many easting places. The have two menus - the lobster roll and other lobster dishes were on a separate menu.   We will not go back there after having to great Lobster Rolls in Charottletown and Halifx - will be going back there on the return trip.

The only food truck we saw was in Newport, RI

Thanks. My itinerary doesn't have a lot of lobster roll ports. It looks like Boston and Halifax may be the only places I'll get lobster roll this time.  

18 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thanks. My itinerary doesn't have a lot of lobster roll ports. It looks like Boston and Halifax may be the only places I'll get lobster roll this time.  

We've mentioned Salty's in Halifax. That's where we have on our bucket list to return to. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

5 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We've mentioned Salty's in Halifax. That's where we have on our bucket list to return to. 

I'm planning on Dave's, one of the food shacks, followed by one of the ice cream vendors. The problem is the friend who is on for the second week is vegan. So the plan is for her to get something to go from a vegan cafe along our walk after the gardens, then we'll head to the water where I'll get my lobster roll, and we'll find a picnic table or bench somewhere. I just hope the weather cooperates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...