Internet package for FaceTime?

I wasn’t planning on getting the internet package for my upcoming cruise to Alaska on Quantum, but we have some family stuff going on and I’d like to stay connected. Ideally I’d like to have the ability to FaceTime. Has anyone done this with the basic package? Or do I need to get the stream package? Thanks for any help!

Well, most stops on an Alaskan cruise is either in Canada or Alaska, so this is the one cruise where getting a wifi package is really not needed.  Everyday you are in port, and your phone should work with no additional costs.  (Canada may or may not depending on your rate plans). 

• Like 2

We did the Alaska cruise in May.  We had good 5g coverage each Alaska port.  The coverage lasted at least an hour after leaving each port.  Canada did OK on DW Apple phone.   If you feel you have to be connected when away from port you will want surf and stream.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, most stops on an Alaskan cruise is either in Canada or Alaska, so this is the one cruise where getting a wifi package is really not needed.  Everyday you are in port, and your phone should work with no additional costs.  (Canada may or may not depending on your rate plans). 

That's why i wasn't planning on getting a package in the first place, but it's actually our first 3 days (which one is a full sailing day) that there's some really time sensitive stuff that i need to be available for. Maybe i'll just get a one day pass for that particular day.

If you find internet in your cabin to be crappy.     Try going to a different area on the ship.   I find the library/computer room on deck 6 of Quantum class (2nd floor of 270) usually has a strong signal.    

Some posters say that if you disconnect from internet and reconnect in another location that can help too.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jennianne said:

I wasn’t planning on getting the internet package for my upcoming cruise to Alaska on Quantum, but we have some family stuff going on and I’d like to stay connected. Ideally I’d like to have the ability to FaceTime. Has anyone done this with the basic package? Or do I need to get the stream package? Thanks for any help!

We sailed Quantum in May and internet on the ship was terrible for the first two days.  It improved as the week went on but was definitely spotty.  Cell service in port was great in Juneau but not good in Icy Strait Point or Skagway.  

• Thanks 1