Which side is port and starboard?

phabric

22 hours ago, phabric said:

Is port side the even number cabins and starboard the old number cabins?

Yes. And the numbers increase as you move from bow to stern. Makes it easy to tell at a glance on the cabin decks if you are in the right hallway and headed in the right direction.

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

I've never really understood why this seems to be an issue for folks. It's really not a complex thing...

Going along with what you posted.

A few years ago as the ship was leaving harbor the Captain announced that there was a pod of whales off the Starboard side.  I watched several people milling around yelling at each other, what side is Starboard.  So, being the helpful person that I am I told them......Its the side that the whales on are on. 😆

Bob

On 7/28/2022 at 9:22 PM, phabric said:

Lots of responses to the title of your post.  Here is the answer to the question in your post: ODD numbered cabins are on the starboard (right) side and EVEN numbered cabins are on the port (left) side. 

For any cabins not on the port or starboard side (i.e. forward and aft facing and some insides), the numbers follow the same rules based on location relative to the ship center line. If the cabin splits the center line, all the ones I have seen are ODD, but there may be exceptions.  

17 hours ago, SFSailaway said:

There's half a bottle of port left.🍾

Or you might ask 'Is there any Red Port Left'

When sailing if you see a Red light, you must give way, if Green (Starboard) you have right of way.

30 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I have quoted the question for you.   Any answer that doesn't address cabin numbers is wrong.

Well, actually you don't answer the question, either.  Because they are asking whether the the port side is the even cabins, not whether the even cabins are on the port side.  And, that makes a difference, as many cruise ships do not have evens on port and odds on starboard.  Carnival Corp's brands tend to follow this convention, but NCL and RCI don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Because they are asking whether the the port side is the even cabins, not whether the even cabins are on the port side.  And, that makes a difference, as many cruise ships do not have evens on port and odds on starboard.  Carnival Corp's brands tend to follow this convention, but NCL and RCI don't.

I believe my answer #31 is accurate for all of the current Princess ships.  Given this was asked in the Princess forum, I did not qualify my answer for other lines. So if the OP was looking for other ships, then the suggestion to look at the deck plans should work across all lines. 😁

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:22 PM, phabric said:

port 4 letters left 4 letters if you want to know which side the red light is on. Port wine is red.

As with your vehicle sitting in the drivers seat.. It is when facing the bow (front) of the ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

port 4 letters left 4 letters if you want to know which side the red light is on. Port wine is red.

As with your vehicle sitting in the drivers seat.. It is when facing the bow (front) of the ship.

Same thing works for odd and even side of the ship. Even numbers are port and odd are starboard.   

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

Same thing works for odd and even side of the ship. Even numbers are port and odd are starboard.   

Wish I could agree. Not all cruise lines are the same. Some are odd for port and some are even. Carnival is even Princess is also Celebrity is odd for Port. Royal ships are mixed. Odds and evens on both sides. I would have to look at the others to know. These we cruise on the most.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You need to check different cruise lines. Not all the same.

We are talking Princess on this board. Different cruise line, different board. For instance some Disney cruise ships use even # on either Port & Starboard, the odd # are reserved for inside cabins.

Theo

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Renmar said:

We are talking Princess on this board. Different cruise line, different board. For instance some Disney cruise ships use even # on either Port & Starboard, the odd # are reserved for inside cabins.

Theo

For pete sakes. I was just giving other info. I can read yes it is a Princess boared. What about the carpet? Bet youi do not know about its design meaning.

On 7/28/2022 at 7:17 PM, 4x4bob said:

This reminds of an old joke.

A crew man while walking past the Capt's cabin look in the port hole into the cabin.

He saw the Capt kneeling down in front of his safe.

He was reading a piece of paper.

Port is Left.    Starboard is Right.

Well it is a slow day.

Bob

I was watching a show on cruise ships and the captain showed his socks to the camera - red on his left foot, green on his right. He started wearing them as a joke, but over time it became his trademark and now he always wears them. The captain had a good sense of humor and seemed like a great boss to have. 

From www.boat-ed.com:

"Sidelights: These red and green lights are called sidelights (also called combination lights) because they are visible to another vessel approaching from the side or head-on. The red light indicates a vessel's port (left) side; the green light indicates the vessel's starboard (right) side."

Edited by SantaFeFan

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Why is this thread still open?

Congratulations!!

You have posted twice on this thread, and both are criticisms that provide absolutely zero value to the discussion. How in the world could we have gotten along without you???? SMH.