How was your cruise experience post pandemic?

50 minutes ago, davekathy said:

So does my wife and that was one of the food items the Explorer ran out of on our March B2B cruise. 

Sad. I had them every night on 7 cruises (RCI and Celebrity) since restart. Oasis X 2, Anthem x 3 and Enchantment.

Interesting that on RCI quality is better!

The only item that RCI has discontinued on our watch was Beef Wellington lately. We caught it in buffet on Oasis once in June though.

41 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks, I tried searching there but couldn't find anything.  I really am anxious about starting a new thread as this seems to be a subject that causes some arguments and snarky comments.  I may have to post the question and just ignore the negative comments.....

1 minute ago, wednesday said:

Thanks, I tried searching there but couldn't find anything.  I really am anxious about starting a new thread as this seems to be a subject that causes some arguments and snarky comments.  I may have to post the question and just ignore the negative comments.....

Don't be intimidated by others. Just ignore those posts. 

• Like 2

We've done 5 cruises since restart.  b2b on HOTS in Nov/Dec (14 nights), b2b on EN in April (20 nights) and a 6 night on EN last week.  higher numbers onboard with each cruise.  The most disappointing thing for us was this last week on EN.  There were NO RANGER COOKIES onboard.  LOL.  We had them in April on EN so expected them again.  I'm sure it's a supply issue.  Food was decent.  No alcohol shortage that I know of last week.  Masks required in the very small terminal in Bermuda.  So, we wore them for about 30 feet through a building.  Bermuda port employees/security standing at each open doorway, no one in the building for the most part except cruisers.  All security screening was done on the ship so literally it was a quick 15 second walkthrough of an open building.  Oh, and we haven't come home with Covid from any of them.  I came home with a sinus infection in April but was neg on both a rapid and PCR test in the midst of my symptoms which included fever so sinus infection (which I already knew) was the diagnosis.

Edited by BND

Had a completely 'normal' cruise in June.  Wouldn't have known there was ever a pandemic except for having to test before the cruise, showing our vax cards at embarkation and the crew wearing masks.  Otherwise, no different to our previous cruise in January, 2020.  Thank goodness.  Life goes on.  Live it up!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Had a completely 'normal' cruise in June.  Wouldn't have known there was ever a pandemic except for having to test before the cruise, showing our vax cards at embarkation and the crew wearing masks.  Otherwise, no different to our previous cruise in January, 2020.  Thank goodness.  Life goes on.  Live it up!

I keep hoping crew can lose the masks.  On our April b2b, our first leg was Apr 2 and Bobby told DH and I that they were supposed to get rid of masking that day, but it got changed.  Once numbers started going up again, they tabled removing them.  It's hard to understand some of the crew and if it's loud, it's virtually impossible to figure out what they're saying as you can't even begin to read their lips.

2 minutes ago, BND said:

I keep hoping crew can lose the masks.  On our April b2b, our first leg was Apr 2 and Bobby told DH and I that they were supposed to get rid of masking that day, but it got changed.  Once numbers started going up again, they tabled removing them.  It's hard to understand some of the crew and if it's loud, it's virtually impossible to figure out what they're saying as you can't even begin to read their lips.

I agree.  I couldn't understand a word any of the crew said, which was embarrassing.  Having to ask our waiter to repeat something 2 or 3 times, good grief!  I think having to wear a mask (or two as we saw in some cases) is awful, especially with their effectiveness (which I won't discuss since that would invite a post removal). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

For an old guy, like me, a little hard of hearing, masks, and usually the crew is from a foreign country, it's very hard for me to hear/understand far too many of the crew.  Sometimes at very critical times.  I'd hope the masks come off during actual emergencies.  But, it's even a shame when not during an emergency.  Sometimes you just like to know what is going! 

8 minutes ago, BND said:

Me too, I feel bad for them having to wear those things for long periods of time.  Also my husband has lost most of the hearing in one of his ears and really struggles with understanding people in masks (most of the time he can't,)  I have good hearing and even I struggle understanding them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

So does my wife and that was one of the food items the Explorer ran out of on our March B2B cruise. 

Yup, and bananas, and half way through...ALL the fresh fruit!!  😮  Plus my favorite wine, and many liquors.  Favorite bartender Bruno in VCL was very frustrated.  Bucky's favorite Hendricks Gin was short lived.  😞 

Bucky loves his Raisin Bran cereal...they ran out of that as well...then started putting raisins on plain Bran Flakes.  No fresh mushrooms at all either.  

It ended up being..."OK...what DO you have available?"   Poor crew was bummed.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup, and bananas, and half way through...ALL the fresh fruit!!  😮  Plus my favorite wine, and many liquors.  Favorite bartender Bruno in VCL was very frustrated.  Bucky's favorite Hendricks Gin was short lived.  😞 

Bucky loves his Raisin Bran cereal...they ran out of that as well...then started putting raisins on plain Bran Flakes.  No fresh mushrooms at all either.  

It ended up being..."OK...what DO you have available?"   Poor crew was bummed.  

Agree we adjusted accordingly. Thanks for the memory jog about the wine NZ SB I think for us and mushrooms. First leg I wanted a side of sautéed mushrooms with my breakfast. Sorry, only in an omelet. Second leg, sorry no mushrooms. Agree the wait staff was very concerned with the "so sorry, we don't have... No problem, not your fault and always found something else. 

As you know our biggest challenge was just getting to the ship. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

As you know our biggest challenge was just getting to the ship. 

Yikes...we were just talking about that yesterday when we were discussing changes in the airlines...and of course your experience!    Wow...I can't think of a worse flight nightmare..short of crashing of course!  😱

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yikes...we were just talking about that yesterday when we were discussing changes in the airlines...and of course your experience!    Wow...I can't think of a worse flight nightmare..short of crashing of course!  😱

Hopefully no Deja Vu for our September Delta flights. 😱🤞 But the song Deja Vu by Crosby, Stills and Nash is a good one. ✌️

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hopefully no Deja Vu for our September Delta flights. 😱🤞 But the song Deja Vu by Crosby, Stills and Nash is a good one. ✌️

Hopefully Delta treats you better.  😉  I have never had a problem with them...American...yes...Delta no.  Though there could always be a first time!  Hope I did not jinx myself.  

We fly American up to Maine...since they seem to have almost total control over Bangor airport.  But the service has indeed been lacking.  

• Thanks 1

People forget how bad 2020 was... and sweat small stuff again.

Same problems are everywhere.. in A/I, US based hotels etc. But stays are much more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

People forget how bad 2020 was... and sweat small stuff again.

Same problems are everywhere.. in A/I, US based hotels etc. But stays are much more expensive.

Speaking for yourself. An experience out of the norm is not sweating, whining or complaining about stuff. Of course I'm speaking only for myself. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

We had three cruises since restart and many more scheduled for the next year and a half.

The first was Alaska onboard Serenade Aug 21, then Liberty Dec 21 and finally Odyssey Feb 22.  All were excellent.  The first one I went with expectations that there would be inconveniences but to my surprise it was a spectacular cruise. I felt like the entertainment was a little weaker but that was not a big deal to me. Capacity was low and staff tripped over themselves to be accommodating.  Both of the following cruises my expectations were raised and with reduced capacity all my expectations were met.  Odyssey in particular was an outstanding cruise. However, that might not be fair to Liberty since Odyssey was our first time on Quantum class and we had the unlimited dining package so our dining experience was upgraded.

I haven't been on cruise since they returned to full capacity but I have Ovation in 24 days and Navigator a couple of weeks after that.  I'm going with an open mind and an expectation I need to be flexible.  I'm sure I will have a great time.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Speaking for yourself. An experience out of the norm is not sweating, whining or complaining about stuff. Of course I'm speaking only for myself. 

What is norm now? At least one aspect that is 100% like it was? I hope it will return to norm, but I see all signs that it won't. Unfortunately I am seeing bigger picture. Cruising has not deviated that much.I hope next year we still have cruising. 

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

What is norm now? At least one aspect that is 100% like it was? I hope it will return to norm, but I see all signs that it won't. Unfortunately I am seeing bigger picture. Cruising has not deviated that much.I hope next year we still have cruising. 

I won't even ask my Magic 8 Ball that one. I (we) hope we aren't living the new norm. There's a lot of things in our life we enjoy we hope to still have in the following years. Time will tell. I'm still going to wear my rose colored glasses and my wine glass is always going to be full. Sometimes we have to vent and then adjust accordingly and move on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Sad. I had them every night on 7 cruises (RCI and Celebrity) since restart. Oasis X 2, Anthem x 3 and Enchantment.

Interesting that on RCI quality is better!

The only item that RCI has discontinued on our watch was Beef Wellington lately. We caught it in buffet on Oasis once in June though.

One size doesn't fit all. Gave my wife the option of having her other favorite appetizer. Shrimp cocktail. We'll see in September on the Summit. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I won't even ask my Magic 8 Ball that one. I (we) hope we aren't living the new norm. There's a lot of things in our life we enjoy we hope to still have in the following years. Time will tell. I'm still going to wear my rose colored glasses and my wine glass is always going to be full. Sometimes we have to vent and then adjust accordingly and move on. 

Trust me, I am the biggest fan of not changing anything after living through decay of Soviet Union, moving here and building life here (as well as my whole family) from scratch. 😉 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

Trust me, I am the biggest fan of not changing anything after living through decay of Soviet Union, moving here and building life here (as well as my whole family) from scratch. 😉 

But we do need to change a lot of the current changes, but that's getting political and I'm going to shut up about that.

Speaking of cruises, I now have to decide on how to do our pre cruise covid testing for September. We  hope that is not the new norm and that requirement goes away! 

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Speaking of cruises, I now have to decide on how to do our pre cruise covid testing for September. We  hope that is not the new norm and that requirement goes away! 

I am waiting for my friend to cruise in August. She is planning to use hometests and OnePoint or similar. If this works I will do the same. We have many tests from government. Otherwise we will order Emed tests.

Edited by Tatka