MSC Relaxes Testing Requirements for US Cruises

JT1962

Just now, Vegasgreg19 said:

Its sure is confusing. Called my local CVS and Walgreens and was told that unless it is for medical purpose, their test now cost $128 at Walgreens and $208 at CVS. 😲

Yes, since the government is no longer paying for the tests it's become quite expensive, which is why many people were looking to the self administering proctored tests which are much less expensive and less of a hassle.

20 minutes ago, Vegasgreg19 said:

Its sure is confusing. Called my local CVS and Walgreens and was told that unless it is for medical purpose, their test now cost $128 at Walgreens and $208 at CVS. 😲

Will your health insurance cover it? 

CVS billed my health insurance each time we were tested even during the height of the pandemic when I had to get tested weekly for work.
My insurance paid $25 each time and I never saw a bill from CVS for the balance but I wonder if that will change now. 

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

As you said I too have not heard of a“lab administered antigen” test.

Also note that they are recommending that testing not be done more than one day in advance if possible. Saying that at the same time they essentially rule out rapid testing makes no sense.

I think we're all in agreement that the guidance is confusing, MSC doesn't do a good job at communication, and it will all change again and again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Will your health insurance cover it? 

CVS billed my health insurance each time we were tested even during the height of the pandemic when I had to get tested weekly for work.
My insurance paid $25 each time and I never saw a bill from CVS for the balance but I wonder if that will change now. 

I hadn't had to pay anything at all up until now. The pharmacist I spoke to said "it has to do with how you fill out the online health questionnaire as to if you get charged as insurance won't cover it if it is for travel or a cruise". So maybe there is a way to take it for like work or something in the questionnaire. But we are kind of in that grey area window where we cruise Sept. 3rd so it's getting down to the wire and just want to know what we can do to provide that negative test and how much that's going to cost us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vegasgreg19 said:

I hadn't had to pay anything at all up until now. The pharmacist I spoke to said "it has to do with how you fill out the online health questionnaire as to if you get charged as insurance won't cover it if it is for travel or a cruise". So maybe there is a way to take it for like work or something in the questionnaire. But we are kind of in that grey area window where we cruise Sept. 3rd so it's getting down to the wire and just want to know what we can do to provide that negative test and how much that's going to cost us.

Good luck to you I hope you can find an acceptable test that isn’t too expensive. 

If MSC will still be accepting CVS/Walgreen then I can't then proctored tests should be ok since IMO

CVS/Walgreen tests are not "lab-administered". In fact, the last time I went to Walgreens for cruise Covid test the associate handed the test kit to without even asking for my ID. 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:17 PM, styles27 said:

Hopefully by the time you cruise there will be some further clarification. Knowing MSC they probably just forgot to add that paragraph about the at home proctored tests from emed that had been there since before our Divina 11/21 cruise. 
I agree with you I’m not comfortable waiting to test in Miami at the pier. We are flying in the day before our 12/30 cruise so we would have to find a test site or test at the airport if they’re still doing it. 
Of course everything could change again by then.  I guess we just have to adapt. 

Miami & Fort Lauderdale have testing sites by the baggage claim area. Rapid tests are $59. We were in & out in a half hour with paper results in hand.

Perhaps other airports offer the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The CDC has just significantly relaxed many COVID related protocols in light, they said, that about 95% of the public has at least some level of immunity at this point.

This could be an impetus for further changes from the cruise lines.

CDC streamlines COVID-19 guidance to help the public better protect themselves and understand their risk | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

NCL is ending testing.   Hopefully MSC will follow!

NCK IS NOT ending testing. If you are cruising to Canada or other locations you must test before boarding.

36 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Thank you.  Didn't want to post any article from another cruise line since some people think we should only address MSC on here.

Well- I kind of figured best way to answer the question would be by quoting the direct source for info!! 😀

The era of the fact checkers.............. LOL🤣

• Thanks 1

With almost all other lines significantly relaxing testing requirements if not required by the country and the recent CDC guidelines change, I’m sure MSC will follow suit soon starting in September. At least, I’m hoping they do before we cruise in October! Not that I mind testing…it’s just become more of a hassle now than it was before with testing sites closing and the government no longer paying. I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

With almost all other lines significantly relaxing testing requirements if not required by the country and the recent CDC guidelines change, I’m sure MSC will follow suit soon starting in September. At least, I’m hoping they do before we cruise in October! Not that I mind testing…it’s just become more of a hassle now than it was before with testing sites closing and the government no longer paying. I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks!

It's not the testing, it's the uncertainty of the result and if your whole vacation gets cancelled.  Especially when you're travelling overseas to catch the cruise.

I sure hope MSC catches up with their protocol adjustments.  And then there's Greece to contend with.

• Like 1