No towel animals

dinoroger

After a few cruises I have decided to ask my room steward that he/she does not need to make me towel animals. I loved them on my first few cruises and if I were cruising with a new cruiser or kids I would still want them. There have been many posts about giving back to the staff. I think an extra 5 minutes to spend elsewhere would be nice for them. On a 8 day cruise that is 40 minutes.

It is more effort for them to remember who does not want one then just setting them up.  They also get to explain to the supervisor during room check why no towel animal.  Heaven forbid, they confuse the "No towel animal" with a "Yes towel animal" then get dinged on the survey. 

The towel animals get delivered en masse to the cabins - they don't make them up in your room "in situ".

You are probably not saving them much time - I bet they can make a towel animal in about 30 sec, since they make dozens of each type every single week (or less).  And maybe they don't make them up - there might be a "towel animal builder" assigned to each deck/section that just spends whatever time required doing them all.

• Like 2

Sort of like asking for no pickles on your Whopper, special requests can actually slow things down. You are the guest so whatever you want they can accommodate, but don't make the request just because you think it saves them time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

I always request no towel animals, not to save the steward time, but because they don’t add anything to my cruising experience.  

For my wife and I they're just extra towels at this point - especially since we no longer get twice daily service!

• Like 1

I sure understand the OP's thinking and would have taken the same approach.   That is before reading why it might not be such a good idea.  

As for the towel animals, I consider them an endangered species, and try to keep them intact as long as possible.  Seriously, I feel kind of guilty destroying what is a nice gesture.  I move them to some safe place.   They are usually gone and replaced by another the following day.    

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ldubs said:

As for the towel animals, I consider them an endangered species, and try to keep them intact as long as possible.  Seriously, I feel kind of guilty destroying what is a nice gesture.  I move them to some safe place.   They are usually gone and replaced by another the following day.    

I do the same thing, mostly because my kids (now 20 and 16) LOVE them (and still do even at their advanced, sophisticated ages😄).  But in addition to setting them aside on a little-used countertop, I attach a post-it note to the first one that reads:

Please don't kill me.  I like it here. 

-  The Towel Animal

The towel animal menagerie accumulates after that, and they are all there together at the end of the cruise with our extra cash tip being held by one of them. (And the post-it changed out to one reading "Thank You!")

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I do the same thing, mostly because my kids (now 20 and 16) LOVE them (and still do even at their advanced, sophisticated ages😄).  But in addition to setting them aside on a little-used countertop, I attach a post-it note to the first one that reads:

Please don't kill me.  I like it here. 

-  The Towel Animal

The towel animal menagerie accumulates after that, and they are all there together at the end of the cruise with our extra cash tip being held by one of them. (And the post-it changed out to one reading "Thank You!")

Now that's pretty cool!😊

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The towel animals get delivered en masse to the cabins - they don't make them up in your room "in situ".

You are probably not saving them much time - I bet they can make a towel animal in about 30 sec, since they make dozens of each type every single week (or less).  And maybe they don't make them up - there might be a "towel animal builder" assigned to each deck/section that just spends whatever time required doing them all.

But, they can get creative once they are in your cabin. DW and I once get a big chuckle out of the towel animal that was wearing DW's sunglasses.

I hate the thought of all of that extra laundry.  In the past, I have said that we don’t need them. But they’ve always brought them anyway so it makes sense that it’s easier for them to just put them in all cabins. I don’t say anything anymore.