Circle Iceland with The Inside Cabin - 24 days on the NIeuw Statendam

St Anthony.   - Sail away in progress.  

Orange Blossom special.;   

552D703B-AA58-4A7B-82AA-474EFA4F5D24.thumb.jpeg.be0fb5da2a4ae757720cd27ebdadf6fb.jpeg

20C915F7-2FB7-4B2E-92E9-C9DD8CBB84CA.thumb.jpeg.08dba1071b71f591aea5e54c6cb01813.jpeg

went ashore around noon.    

browsed gift shop at tender landing.  

took a pass on the museum 

called the only taxi.   He was busy - sent his friend.    

drove us to lighthouse. 

pictures.  Shopped 

Saw Polar bear

back to town

grocecy store for more snacks.   Hard to find munchies on ship

bought lemonade from kids 

saw big puffin

back ship!

great day! 

track

EA819A56-0BA0-459E-BFEE-DE19E97CFF93.thumb.jpeg.2c04ba1cd9848813ec9a485dc5ac168e.jpeg

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:56 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Disagree. Just had towel animals, and other interesting towel creations probably 2/3rds of the 18 nights on our just ended Statendam cruise

Seems to depend on your room steward (or maybe you category of state room?). We were on that same 18-day cruise as you and had towel animals maybe 3 times.

We were also on the previous 18-day cruise, and had towel animals every night; chocolates only on dressy nights.  Whether that was due to us being in the pinnacle suite, having two kids in our stateroom, or just creative room stewards I guess we'll never know.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Agree 100%.  

outstanding room steward, Kadek, gave us the official policy.   

Towel Animals and chocolates on Gala nights are the standard.    Guest can opt out if desired.  

Guests can request Towel Animals and chocolates more often but this requires a supervisors approval.   Generally granted. 

Cabins with children under 12 get daily towel animals automatically. 

Bottom line - let your room steward know your preference and you will probably be accommodated. 

0FB0B73C-7DB0-4192-9FA7-08568C955F10.jpeg

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

46 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Towel Animals and chocolates on Gala nights are the standard.    Guest can opt out if desired.  

Guests can request Towel Animals and chocolates more often but this requires a supervisors approval.   Generally granted. 

Bottom line - let your room steward know your preference and you will probably be accommodated. 

We didn't make any requests...the towel animals just appeared. The cabin stewards were VERY creative, and seemed to really be enjoying their efforts... we certainly did (we even posted  couple of their efforts here on CC)! They were really funny and enthusiastic. And, yes, of course, they were rewarded, both by many comments through Navigator and the post cruise evaluation, as well as additional tips.

One of our attendants approached us a couple of times about playing his ukulele for us. We deferred a few days, then we agreed, and he played one of our favorite songs (Dust in the Wind, by Kansas). Icing on the cake...great crew!!

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We didn't make any requests...the towel animals just appeared. The cabin stewards were VERY creative, and seemed to really be enjoying their efforts... we certainly did (we even posted  couple of their efforts here on CC)! They were really funny and enthusiastic. And, yes, of course, they were rewarded, both by many comments through Navigator and the post cruise evaluation, as well as additional tips.

One of our attendants approached us a couple of times about playing his ukulele for us. We deferred a few days, then we agreed, and he played one of our favorite songs (Dust in the Wind, by Kansas). Icing on the cake...great crew!!

I think the best cabin stewards have a sixth sense about everyone's desires.   If a guest makes a positive comment about towel animals or chocolates - that may be all it takes to increase their frequency.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I asked for chocolates more often on the koningsdam and was told no only on gala nights.  Then it wasn't even then.  I know someone is going to say they didn't have problems.  I'm speaking for my cabin on my cruises.  I just gave up after a while.  And I did ask nicely before someone brings up that nugget.  Thanks for the info on the N.Statendam.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I asked for chocolates more often on the koningsdam and was told no only on gala nights.  Then it wasn't even then.  I know someone is going to say they didn't have problems.  I'm speaking for my cabin on my cruises.  I just gave up after a while.  And I did ask nicely before someone brings up that nugget.  Thanks for the info on the N.Statendam.

It may be the policy of the Executive Housekeeper on each ship or the Hotel GM.   I know I asked on my 35 day South Pacific and didn't see any change.     Probably more to do with the individual Room Steward then anything else...

• Like 4

A few highlights from our visit to St Pierre

Went ashore around 1 PM

Walked waterfront to downtown

A few shops - not a lot of touristy stuff

Took a 1 + 30 minute bus tour - Very nice narrated overview of St Pierre

123916054_EgliseNotre-Dame-des-Marins.jpg.3200129ed7e0c39a8a442d5b1144b4e9.jpg

L'Île-aux-Marins - no year round residents - a few seasonal houses  - Eglise Notre-Dame-des-Marins is most prominent feature.   More HERE

328304227_lighthouse.jpg.941bbc5681d1d77c1d5bac850a1163bb.jpg

Pointe aux Canons Lighthouse

ship_.jpg.f0470788075efaccfbc6736a2a1c2694.jpg

239618679_sightseeingtour.jpg.efbd492c2b63ec0de73c5e7449281fd6.jpg

1858704072_sightseeingtour-2.jpg.4cf56615536eca4ea0ee2ac3eed2fd55.jpg

1994305758_fishshacks.jpg.f074dee1429091539af9c89dc2b6e082.jpg

These sheds lined the waterfront - a few were open selling snacks and souvenirs

1265612820_fishshack.jpg.04e9084b834c7f28c44cee3a00b35c50.jpg 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

123916054_EgliseNotre-Dame-des-Marins.jpg.3200129ed7e0c39a8a442d5b1144b4e9.jpg

L'Île-aux-Marins - no year round residents - a few seasonal houses  - Eglise Notre-Dame-des-Marins is most prominent feature.   More HERE

Cette roche a besoin d'arbres!

(That rock needs some trees.) 😂

It looks like a painting!  Loving your photos.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Treated ourselves to the 36 oz Presidents cut tonight.   The 6 of us at our table enjoyed a great steak!   $75 upcharge.

I've always been curious how many of those they actually sell!

• Thanks 1

Pete, Great photos as usual. We just did VoV so good to relive some of those ports (85' here and no fog, back to summer). Our FC Consultant recommended Neptune suite on NS for 3 adults based on the website advertised layout which shows a separate WC/sink (similar to Prinsendam suites) but I didn't think HAL's Pinnacle ships have this layout. Is there someone in the Neptune Concierge Lounge that you can confirm they have this layout in Neptune Suites?

Screenshot (206).png

11 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Hmmmm.   I'll just  have to bring a bag of chocolate coins and ask my steward to put them on my pillow.  Since I travel solo they've always given me two each night.  Just wouldn't be the same coming back to the cabin and having a 'naked pillow" 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2