American Diner Is Wasted Space

Nobody was ever there on our cruise other than embarkation day lunch.

Why pay extra for a burger when you can get one elsewhere for free?

Why not convert to a fast food and complementary Mexican restaurant.

Call it Salsa and have a salsa bar. Why not also have it be a place with a huge variety of tequilas and margaritas.

What ideas do you have for this wasted space?

• Like 6

I quite agree, I do not understand the idea of "extra cost" burgers and fries on a cruise ship. On our cruises on the Joy and the Encore I don't recall seeing a solitary soul in there👻

It seems that every other mainstream cruise line (even the older NCL ships) has a pool deck grill with burgers and dogs and fries that is complimentary, along with a bar so you can purchase  a beer 🍺

The only place to get pizza was in the buffet (meh, have had worse)  - or pay extra in the Italian restaurant 😞 so maybe a pizzeria / burger joint instead?

My $0.02

Edited by Brian V
typos
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Bring back the Uptown Bar and Grill..they had an amazing meatball sandwich back in the day

Agree!  Also loved the same venue on the Flamingo Grill (Getaway) that had Cuban food.

And, both the Getaway/Breakaway open air venues had good breakfast food available.

• Like 6

Just now, davencl said:

Margaritaville was also such a huge success.  🙂 🙂  Maybe they need this dedicated space for restaurants that are doomed....

So maybe just go back to a complimentary venue that so many of us would enjoy.  They were open-air breakfast and lunch spaces we loved.

• Like 5

I agree Flamingo and Uptown Grill/Bar were awesome and completely complimentary.

Why can't NCL provide an upscale burger experience and make it "Free" like Guy Fieri's on Carnival? I haven't been on Carnival forever but hate to say that I'm envious looking at all those tasty burger offerings with fries to boot, all complimentary and FREE. 

Cruising Article:

https://cruiseradio.net/guys-burger-joint-1000s-of-burgers-served-menu/

Menu PDF

https://www.carnival.com/-/media/images/explore/dining/menus/guys-burger-joint-menu.pdf

I think it's all about the money....

Bit of history, The first Buffet Margaritaville launced on NCL Escape and was originally intended to be completely complimentary/free. That all change I believe after the first few sailings when NCL opted to make it a "Food for a Fee" ala carte restaurant.

Seems that added revenue thing always rears it's head on NCL..

Edited by Warm-Water Diver
  • Like 2

I was on the Bliss in December and never saw a guest at American Diner - 

I agree it should not be an extra charge venue - even if they change then menu and it simply turns into an open-air version of The Local at least it would get utilized.

• Like 4

Echoing all of this. Flamingo Grill was 💯 the best on Getaway…free Cuban food for the Miami vibe, and even outdoor quick breakfast that wasn’t as crowded as the buffet. It was so nice.

And yep…was just on Encore, and never saw people there. I think everyone agrees it’s silly to pay for that when it’s free at the buffet.

I do think a free 24-hour (or at least into late-night) pizzeria would be a good idea. I jumped ship from Carnival years ago, but I have to say, they still win the pizza game to this day out of any line. It’s 24-hour, quick, and GOOD. I feel it would be a hit on NCL.

I would say they don’t want to put something free there to keep extra money-makers, but it’s not like American Diner is making them any money 🤣 if that’s the case, and another “specialty” restaurant…I’m sure they could figure out another cuisine to advertise other than diner food.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, brad0576 said:

I was on the Bliss in December and never saw a guest at American Diner - 

I agree it should not be an extra charge venue - even if they change then menu and it simply turns into an open-air version of The Local at least it would get utilized.

I was on Bliss two weeks ago never saw anyone in there and I passed by frequently

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

I agree Flamingo and Uptown Grill/Bar were awesome and completely complimentary.

Why can't NCL provide an upscale burger experience and make it "Free" like Guy Fieri's on Carnival? I haven't been on Carnival forever but hate to say that I'm envious looking at all those tasty burger offerings with fries to boot, all complimentary and FREE. 

Cruising Article:

Menu PDF

https://www.carnival.com/-/media/images/explore/dining/menus/guys-burger-joint-menu.pdf

Bit of history, The first Buffet Margaritaville launced on NCL Escape and was originally intended to be completely complimentary/free. That all change I believe after the first few sailings when NCL opted to make it a "Food for a Fee" ala carte restaurant.

Revenue producing or not, I think it's more the location that is its undoing.  Even when it was a free venue (they used to serve free breakfast there, too), there were never many people there. Although the views are good, it's always very windy there because it's at the top of the ships.

I can see it working as a burger/dog/fries to go place, where there are cafeteria lines and benches to sit.  But, as a sit down dining venue?  Not so much!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

Call it Salsa and have a salsa bar. Why not also have it be a place with a huge variety of tequilas and margaritas.

Yesssss please! Get a job with NCL, recommend this so we all have it. Tacos, quesadillas, all the fake Mexican food that can be had! Mmmm, I'd love it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Revenue producing or not, I think it's more the location that is its undoing.  Even when it was a free venue (they used to serve free breakfast there, too), there were never many people there. Although the views are good, it's always very windy there because it's at the top of the ships.

I can see it working as a burger/dog/fries to go place, where there are cafeteria lines and benches to sit.  But, as a sit down dining venue?  Not so much!

We have eaten at American Diner a couple times and it has been excellent every time. I think it is the location. People complain about the pricing, but it is really good food and I didn't think the prices were crazy...I didn't get a burger ever (because I can't imagine it being that much better than the Local's burger), but did get pork sliders, caesar salad, mozzarella sticks, a couple desserts and everything was good. Used my OBC for it, which I feel like a lot of people have so it wasn't a big deal. 

That being said, Food Republic is even MUCH better than American Diner and I also feel like it suffers from the location, sort of easy to miss. Busier than American Diner but never crowded and most of the time deserted whenever I have dined there (which is every NCL cruise I take, food is so yummy)

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 5

I agree, I have never seen anyone in there on any of my cruises. The location does stink on the Breakaway class ships as it is next to the arcade. But i do like the idea of a grab and go mexican venue, with a mass amount of Margaritas!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

We have eaten at American Diner a couple times and it has been excellent every time. I think it is the location. People complain about the pricing, but it is really good food and I didn't think the prices were crazy...I didn't get a burger ever (because I can't imagine it being that much better than the Local's burger), but did get pork sliders, caesar salad, mozzarella sticks, a couple desserts and everything was good. Used my OBC for it, which I feel like a lot of people have so it wasn't a big deal. 

That being said, Food Republic is even MUCH better than American Diner and I also feel like it suffers from the location, sort of easy to miss. Busier than American Diner but never crowded and most of the time deserted whenever I have dined there (which is every NCL cruise I take, food is so yummy)

Agree about Food Republic.  I've never seen many people there.  Plus, it's one of my favorite restaurants on the ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Agree!  Also loved the same venue on the Flamingo Grill (Getaway) that had Cuban food.

And, both the Getaway/Breakaway open air venues had good breakfast food available.

Aw, I also loved the Flamingo Grill option, but it was kind of a well kept secret,  it seemed like. 

NCL has to do a better job with this type of venue. The poster that laments they can't seem to replicate the Guy Fieri Carnival thing or RCI's Johnny Rockets is right. If you want to do a specialty dining venue that has bar food, you have to pick a theme and go at it HARD, with some interesting twists. American Diner is a lame theme and it's a lame menu. 

For gawd sake, people have been yammering about needing better pizza for years. Make it a really creative pizza place and you'd be better off. Or make it one of those fast food "create your own" pizza places like MOD or Pieology.

Edited by weltek
  • Like 5

Does NCL do customer or potential customer surveys when building new ships or redesigning old ones? I feel like people would mention it on CC if they'd received a market research survey -- maybe I just missed it, but I have never heard about them actually asking customers what they want.  (Just the post cruise customer service ones.)

Tex/Mex would be fantastic and it's such an underserved opportunity on the ships. Sit down southern comfort food or upgraded pizza could also be great. (My family would also love a great cheesesteak and fries restaurant, but I'd be worried about the execution turning it into more of a D'Angelos -or worse-- Subway!- at Sea.)  Selfishly, I am sad they took the hotpot restaurant out of the Joy when refurbishing for the American market, because I think that could have been such a special experience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, funfetti said:

(My family would also love a great cheesesteak and fries restaurant, but I'd be worried about the execution turning it into more of a D'Angelos -or worse-- Subway!- at Sea.)

When I lived in CT, D'Angelos and a local pho place were my go to lunch options when in the office. Then I moved to Yellowstone and had...well, Subway or extremely expensive (not very good) local places. I still miss my D'Angelos!

Back to the topic, I failed to mention that I do go to American Diner on embarkation day. It's free that for Haven guests, so we get our mozzarella sticks and something else that looks good on the menu at the time. Also, we purchase the milkshake, oh the milkshake....mmm!! I had a burger which had an odd after taste. My husband had a chicken sandwich that he seemed to enjoy. The dessert was way too much food, so we won't be getting dessert again, even though it's included (but not the dang milkshake). 

There is not a chance we would pay for American Diner, except for another order or two of mozzarella sticks and a milkshake later on in the cruise. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see them install a roller skate path between the tables in American.  Free drinks, roller skating on top deck of a moving ship.   I see no liability issues at all with that, but I think that would be a lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Totally agree about that wasted space, whether its Margaritaville or American Diner. 

"Ghost Town" would be an apt name. I'm assuming that staff assigned there get to sleep while standing up.  I'm also assuming that NCL knows that the place is empty.

Totally love the Mexican nacho idea.  How about a bar, a nacho food thing, and then put in something that's entertainment related, like corn hole?  Seems like a win-win.  May be able to reduce staff and actually use the space for guest fun.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

Great idea and I know my family, especially my two young adult children, would love it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Cruising Article:

Menu PDF

You are giving Guy's burgers way too much credit. It's very average. They have toppings (that frequently are cold bc they are sitting out too long), but it's still very average. 

12 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Echoing all of this. Flamingo Grill was 💯 the best on Getaway…free Cuban food for the Miami vibe, and even outdoor quick breakfast that wasn’t as crowded as the buffet. It was so nice.

And yep…was just on Encore, and never saw people there. I think everyone agrees it’s silly to pay for that when it’s free at the buffet.

I do think a free 24-hour (or at least into late-night) pizzeria would be a good idea. I jumped ship from Carnival years ago, but I have to say, they still win the pizza game to this day out of any line. It’s 24-hour, quick, and GOOD. I feel it would be a hit on NCL.

I would say they don’t want to put something free there to keep extra money-makers, but it’s not like American Diner is making them any money 🤣 if that’s the case, and another “specialty” restaurant…I’m sure they could figure out another cuisine to advertise other than diner food.

CCL's pizza isn't always fast. I have waited 30+ minutes for pizza.