Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

11 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

As a passenger on the NJ - Reykjavik sailing (who disembarked in Reykjavik), I have a very easy answer: 20 August 2022 was Culture Night (Menningarnott) in Reykjavik.

Essentially, this is the single largest event in Reykjavik each year, with approximately 100,000 people coming from the entire country into the city for one day. Keep in mind, the aprox population of Iceland as a whole is around 350,000 people, so it's a huge surge into the city. The entire downtown core is blocked off from around 8 am - midnight, with the Reykjavik marathon in the morning, most museums open and free, and Culture Night events starting around noon and running into the evening. 

There is logistically no way a cruise line could provide hotels/transport for anyone arriving early for a cruise to the port, and any sort of city tour would be out of the question. When we disembarked on Friday, there were three ships in port. On Culture Night (Saturday), there were zero. 

Also, having done the Golden Circle, we found it pretty lame (in comparison to the other sites we saw when sailing to other ports in Iceland). Thingvellir was amazing, but Geysir and Gullfoss were awful compared to the natural sights accessible from Akureyri and Ísafjörður... and much more packed with tourists.  

Hi

Thanks for the info.

But I wasn’t talking about hotels but seeing that part of Iceland that to me is most interesting.

I found the Golden Circle tour very interesting,,,the sights from Akureyri to me were a pale imitation.

As you said Thingvellir National Park is the most important and interesting part of Iceland,not being able to see it would be like visiting NY and not being able to see the Satue of Liberty.

I should imagine being on a ship during Culture Day would add to the enjoyment of the place.

ps As for tours……the buses were free and running all day in Reykjavik.

The last time I did the Golden Circle the minibus never touched the city centre.

To miss seeing this,the scene of the worlds first parliament and the example of the tectonic plate and the story told about it is to miss what Iceland is about.

Thingvellir National Park.

CCFCDA9D-D9E3-400E-971A-F7BE367920E9.thumb.jpeg.1cb33bef9ca65712c53c9174abe34135.jpeg

One leg in each continent…

488D86CE-4A65-4039-B9DF-3DA7897FA41E.thumb.jpeg.9a9456fddae2ee9e54a54536934695ab.jpeg

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Cruise Critic should really take the time limited off that 

Also let you delate your post 

That would be a good idea.   Would also be nice if they enabled the messaging system.   I'm just grateful their system generally works so well.  I recall after their big upgrade when things were a bit rough.    I have such great respect for hostAnne

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I should imagine being on a ship during Culture Day would add to the enjoyment of the place.

ps As for tours……the buses were free and running all day in Reykjavik.

We had a great time at Culture Night, but I'd imagine a lot of cruisers would not be happy with the state of things on an overnight. The streets were packed body to body, restaurants were overwhelmed and the noise was crazy until about 1 am. Re: culture night busses, since all the streets are closed to traffic, those are shuttles that run from the burbs to the edge of the central district at Hlemmur, about 3/4 of a mile walking from the main concert venue. 

We still had an amazing day, cheering for the marathon runners in the morning and partying until late, but it's not really conducive to normal operations. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

im with you, where ever you found it it’s probably better to throw it away!  Guess it could have just been the brunch you used to clean all your Diamond so being on the floor wouldn’t matter but ……

we have found pantyhose in original packaging in the drawered night tables, but had to take it apart as we were looking for something else.

also found a pair of smartsocks under the bed but again we had to lift the beds to find that. 

can’t remember what we’re were actually looking for, but we learn to always lift and check the drawers in the night table because we have small items there that could be overlooked as missing! 

Ok.. I think I have you beat.   I was in a hotel once and doing situps on the floor.   I noticed something under the bed only to find it was a USED sanitary  napkin.    I definitely called the front desk  and they changed my room.  

Ok time to catch up -  Lunch yesterday 8/22

I had 2 starters Heirloom Tomatoes an Lobster

67B52D30-7E6B-45D0-ACA2-4C531D412405.thumb.jpeg.c9816c8d855c091bf9bd2b398f671815.jpeg

B10396C9-E8A9-4499-A2E4-A6DBB8AD9741.thumb.jpeg.f841e7aff661d5447780ae3b376ee3d7.jpeg

Iain had the soups and Chicken Sate MDR

DB86FB60-7F9E-4D05-8A6D-EFBA0B63B70E.thumb.jpeg.b1e50fe72af760a0b162ffd6711e6a87.jpeg

Desert

I had Pear Tart MDR and Iain the Macadamia CakeF59148A3-ED9C-42D1-B778-39A57A63BC8A.thumb.jpeg.28432fd88734609ff696e5361ee6d63d.jpeg

464A3784-7A0D-4387-AD66-88964EE485D1.thumb.jpeg.47c77aa9fcb217b05374deab0f83f81f.jpeg

The pictures are a bit blue due to sitting by windows. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

Dinner 8/23

65114159-1B80-4EFE-B5C2-A0CA266C54CF.thumb.jpeg.9ac4a2e04799b35c14b0fbc94db87344.jpeg

861C0001-0EB0-4214-967D-51F9B13F2133.thumb.jpeg.0fb5163aeaf218e53c536db967b13e9d.jpeg

Amuse Bouche

Mini Caprese 

B67957A9-38C1-4217-B533-E9373221F049.thumb.jpeg.808120e6752eb36128465bf42b7acd6a.jpeg

Dinner

I had Crab Cake and Iain the Soup

1B0ADA15-06F9-4435-AA3D-6E94433CA1B5.thumb.jpeg.eb8a33f3403da834ea643544167b24e3.jpeg

9BE8256F-DEEC-494E-8EF5-B48413FF0B10.thumb.jpeg.9f1dc062f32e32fe3171ccd2694b83f5.jpeg

For Main I had the Turkey Parmesan MDR far too much spaghetti and Iain had the  Guinea Hen which he points out is a Cornish Hen.   

7452604B-5CC2-4E96-943B-D2391CDE0452.thumb.jpeg.a5b7c48816eb3ace463e78b51562ae4d.jpeg

68F4F211-C370-4BF5-9B90-777FE3760408.thumb.jpeg.77d3443734177026076254650fe72d57.jpeg

Desert

I had the Chef B Vacherin which came out perfect. 

464EA1B0-C93C-4A41-A045-7C16F0E2BFB4.thumb.jpeg.b42cedfd4d231ba26f7f1e004d48e264.jpeg

and Iain Chocolate Bar

1C874ECC-0B4B-411D-978B-151CA6F4748E.thumb.jpeg.1095fc8dba80e7de0b5ea313bda0cbed.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

Do you know the name of the Beverage Manager? We got to know the Beverage Manager aboard the Summit pre-pandemic. She was great!

I was mistaken. The woman who is getting things done, jumping in and helping, and making things move faster is an Assistant Beverage Manager. Her name is Leigh, she is from the USA, though her accent makes me think she was born/and or raised elsewhere. 
When I paid her a compliment this morning at Cafe Al Bacio, she quickly shared credit with her team. She is my kind of manager! 

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I was mistaken. The woman who is getting things done, jumping in and helping, and making things move faster is an Assistant Beverage Manager. Her name is Leigh, she is from the USA, though her accent makes me think she was born/and or raised elsewhere. 
When I paid her a compliment this morning at Cafe Al Bacio, she quickly shared credit with her team. She is my kind of manager! 

Thanks! The woman we know is Zore from Croatia. We've sailed with her several times. She started as a barista and worked her way up to the Beverage Manager. I'm not sure if she's returned to sailing but we would love to see her. Enjoy Prince Christian Sound today. I think it was my favorite day of the cruise last week.

• Like 2

Hi Jim

Ii want to thank you for your blog about our trip.  I am on the ship with you but confined to cabin after having tested positive for covidon the 17th.
Reading your account of our trip and your beautiful pictures has helped thiscovid prisoner. On a happy note the crew and everyone has been so kind to us.  I know the ship is struggling with not enough help but the world may need to accept these new norms.

Again Jim a big thank you for your posts and what are we all doing tomorrow?

Patty from ATX

ATX is what the young folks call Austin , Texas

• Like 9

14 hours ago, MamaFej said:

@jelayne, I’m guessing you are following this thread. I still haven’t caught up on the earlier pages. 

It took until Night 4, but we finally made it to Martini Bar, and I am currently enjoying my Honorary Jelayne Lycheetini (which is becoming a MOST  welcome tradition). It is absolutely delicious! We look forward to cruising with you again in December! 

Shoutout to everyone who is kindly realizing that I am NOT actually a whiny griping jerk. I am simply being honest about my experiences. I was genuinely concerned that I would be coming across as an entitled bleephole. Y’all are great! 

And, seriously, between being home with countless chores and tasks in 98F heat, making my own bed, cooking, and cleaning, or being on this ship, having  seen and photographed Auroras last night, on a 58 day trip, I am pretty darn happy and grateful to be exactly where I am, with the  Love of My Life! 

I appreciate you critique.     It helps set expectation that labor shortages and product availability will affect cruises and our grocery stores at home for the near future.

I agree in Aqua.   We usually ask them not to leave anything in the evening.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok.. I think I have you beat.   I was in a hotel once and doing situps on the floor.   I noticed something under the bed only to find it was a USED sanitary  napkin.    I definitely called the front desk  and they changed my room.  

I’ve  found strange things behind doors that weren’t visible with the door open, but in the yuk department I’d say you win hands down!  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sdnich said:

I am enjoying all of your pictures!! I am looking forward to that Turbot on our Sept. cruise !! I find myself planning out meals already!! We are 30 days from our first cruise since Nov 2019 and our first on the Summit !!

We have been experimenting and choosing things we have not had before or haven't had in a long time.    What fun to just mix and match.

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

When the glass is lovely Riedel stemware half-full of PBP wine, a take it in stride attitude is pretty easy to come by. 

Where and when do you hang out pre dinner.   Will have to meet you.   We usually don't leave for drinks until 7:00 PM so may have to come out a bit earlier. 

I feel like I know you already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptater59 said:

Hi Jim

Ii want to thank you for your blog about our trip.  I am on the ship with you but confined to cabin after having tested positive for covidon the 17th.
Reading your account of our trip and your beautiful pictures has helped thiscovid prisoner. On a happy note the crew and everyone has been so kind to us.  I know the ship is struggling with not enough help but the world may need to accept these new norms.

Again Jim a big thank you for your posts and what are we all doing tomorrow?

Patty from ATX

ATX is what the young folks call Austin , Texas

So good to hear from you.   And hope you are released from Covid Prison soon.  When I tested positive it was only one day before we were sprung but sure puts a damper on things.

If you need anything just shout will be glad to leave it hanging on your door.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have been experimenting and choosing things we have not had before or haven't had in a long time.    What fun to just mix and match.

And because of your pictures, I may try some new things in October.

Also, do the lunch menus in the main dining room have more than one dessert besides ice cream?  I'm curious, since on the Eclipse in August they'd removed all but one each day.  There were 3 or 4 choices in July.

Edited by abbydancer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Having my morning coffee catching up with Jim’s terrific blog. We cruise again in December. Can’t wait!

Feel better @ptater59

LOL  - I'm probably sipping coffee with you.    I often grab my first cup and spend time posting while Iain is still asleep.

Many complain of the loss of a cocktail table in the SS.   The TV Tray works perfectly good as a portable office. 

117A269C-3A35-4224-A0C5-750247783F56.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3