Guarantee cabin assignment

zebra

4 minutes ago, marvelous35 said:

I have a guaranteed balcony.  I have been checking daily for a cabin assignment.  Check in is this Thursday.  If I don't have an assignment by then, I will try  the bar code trick.

Does anyone know the cabin number in the barcode, is that final or still subject to change?

Subject to change until you get it formally assigned.  I can find mine through the barcode and of course when I call with a question, they tell me int's not assigned yet.

I checked the barcode and saw my "cabin number" and then 2 days later the exact same cabin showed up on my App.  It took just over a week from booking till cabin was assigned.  I guess the length of time depends on how far out or close you are to your sailing.  We booked 3 and a half weeks from sailing.

59 minutes ago, marvelous35 said:

I have a guaranteed balcony.  I have been checking daily for a cabin assignment.  Check in is this Thursday.  If I don't have an assignment by then, I will try  the bar code trick.

Does anyone know the cabin number in the barcode, is that final or still subject to change?

Theoretically any gty assignment can be changed anytime, but the the cruiseline very rarely changes them.

The scan-with-a-phone trick worked for us.  At first it showed up as GYT, but we learned our cabin number about 6 weeks out; the cabin number showed up officially about two weeks later.  

For what it's worth, I'm thrilled with our assignment.  Had I chosen the room, I couldn't have made a better selection within our category!  This isn't my first time using a guarantee, and I've never been disappointed -- though I've never been quite this happy either.  

Just now, Mum2Mercury said:

The scan-with-a-phone trick worked for us.  At first it showed up as GYT, but we learned our cabin number about 6 weeks out; the cabin number showed up officially about two weeks later.  

For what it's worth, I'm thrilled with our assignment.  Had I chosen the room, I couldn't have made a better selection within our category!  This isn't my first time using a guarantee, and I've never been disappointed -- though I've never been quite this happy either.  

Thanks for that, I'm at 5 weeks out today.  I guess it can't hurt to check daily 🙂

• 1 month later...

May I ask for those who added to wallet and saw GTY but kept checking until you see a cabin number… did you have to re-add the Seapass to the wallet each time you check or did you just check the barcode that is already downloaded to the apple wallet? Meaning does the barcode that is already added to apple wallet automatically update when cabin is “assigned”?

3 hours ago, jujuyu211 said:

May I ask for those who added to wallet and saw GTY but kept checking until you see a cabin number… did you have to re-add the Seapass to the wallet each time you check or did you just check the barcode that is already downloaded to the apple wallet? Meaning does the barcode that is already added to apple wallet automatically update when cabin is “assigned”?

I have posted that I was done of Cruise Critic but I feel like a hypocrite if I just read all of the posts and knowledge shared by so many people without trying to contribute just a little to the positive ones (they know who they are, I do not need to list the names I keep seeing time and time again).

THE main change that signals a GTY room number is the issuance of a muster station, even if the room number still states GTY. Your Set Sail Pass will change automatically when you log into your account and check it online or in the APP. In order to get a muster station, the cruise line has to assign you to a room which is covered by that muster station. In most cases, this is a section of the ship which covers a maximum of three decks in the same general quadrant. They have in most cases, assigned you the room you will be in unless you take action to change it. Many will argue that you should just accept the room assignment for that is part of the contract. Others will say that they have been able to change it. I have no dog in the race. The worst thing that can happen to a request is "No." Nothing lost since you just get the assigned cabin. Many a good salesman believes that every "No" is one "No" closer to a "Yes."

Biker, MP, and so many others keep patiently answering everyone's questions about GTY without attitude. There are many posts and threads which seem to keep repeating the same question but now I know that each and every question can be different.

I hope this helps a bit towards the enjoyment of your cruise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

They have in most cases, assigned you the room you will be in unless you take action to change it. Many will argue that you should just accept the room assignment for that is part of the contract. Others will say that they have been able to change it. I have no dog in the race. The worst thing that can happen to a request is "No." Nothing lost since you just get the assigned cabin.

Put me in the camp as one who has successfully moved my GTY assignment for free as recently as July. More importantly, can't imagine how one argues with your main point of "there's nothing to lose by asking."

Anecdotally, I have a GTY for a sailing in 9 days, got my official assignment 14 days out. It's fine but not my preferred location and there is only one cabin in my category I could switch to and it's in a very similar spot so no point. We have a RoyalUp in and I check several times a day for other cabins in my category to appear but if we wind up in our current cabin, we'll still have a great cruise!

P.S. Your muster station advice is of course accurate and helpful to those not as well-versed in all things GTY.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

We have a RoyalUp in and I check several times a day for other cabins in my category to appear but if we wind up in our current cabin, we'll still have a great cruise!

This is the essence of GTY. When this option is selected, the passengers must be prepared for being booked on any cabin available in their category. I use GTY to extend my cruising budget so I get more private time with my wife. One person's cabin from hell is another person's heaven. I have read some cruisers calling "Deck 2" steerage like it was a third class cabin in the 1930s. Those same cabins can be highly desirable for people with motion sickness for they offer the least movement. The moment a person leaves their room, they are the same as any passenger on the ship. A cabin does not define our existence, it accommodates our basic needs so we can go about and enjoy our fellow cruisers and activities.

Everyone has different desires and needs. Life is short, enjoy it.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

One person's cabin from hell is another person's heaven.

This has always been my response when someone says GTY's get the "undesirable" cabins. Your deck 2 motion sickness example is a good one. Deck 2-3 is honestly the only place I personally don't want to wind up, only because I'd rather be somewhere in between the promenade and higher decks so I'm not too far from either. After that, I prefer aft to forward, but obviously others prefer forward or midship.

3 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

There are many posts and threads which seem to keep repeating the same question but now I know that each and every question can be different.

Not really. It is very rare that some issue has not already been discussed/answered, sometimes many times. Some folks can't be bothered to search and perhaps like the personalized answers given by posters.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Not really. It is very rare that some issue has not already been discussed/answered, sometimes many times. Some folks can't be bothered to search and perhaps like the personalized answers given by posters.

Understood. I have seen you patiently answering the same question multiple times. 😉

6 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have posted that I was done of Cruise Critic but I feel like a hypocrite if I just read all of the posts and knowledge shared by so many people without trying to contribute just a little to the positive ones (they know who they are, I do not need to list the names I keep seeing time and time again).

THE main change that signals a GTY room number is the issuance of a muster station, even if the room number still states GTY. Your Set Sail Pass will change automatically when you log into your account and check it online or in the APP. In order to get a muster station, the cruise line has to assign you to a room which is covered by that muster station. In most cases, this is a section of the ship which covers a maximum of three decks in the same general quadrant. They have in most cases, assigned you the room you will be in unless you take action to change it. Many will argue that you should just accept the room assignment for that is part of the contract. Others will say that they have been able to change it. I have no dog in the race. The worst thing that can happen to a request is "No." Nothing lost since you just get the assigned cabin. Many a good salesman believes that every "No" is one "No" closer to a "Yes."

Biker, MP, and so many others keep patiently answering everyone's questions about GTY without attitude. There are many posts and threads which seem to keep repeating the same question but now I know that each and every question can be different.

I hope this helps a bit towards the enjoyment of your cruise.

Thank you so much for answering my question, I’m not trying to ask for a change of room. I am fine with any room I just didn’t want to keep checking my apple wallet thinking the barcode would change. Now I know to check the app instead and have to redownload the seapass to see any changes. 

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Generally, no.

Thanks for precise answer! I tried searching and couldn’t find this specific answer of whether the barcode in apple wallet will change or if I have to keep checking the app / redownload into apple wallet to see changes in barcode.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:06 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Put me in the camp as one who has successfully moved my GTY assignment for free as recently as July. More importantly, can't imagine how one argues with your main point of "there's nothing to lose by asking."

Anecdotally, I have a GTY for a sailing in 9 days, got my official assignment 14 days out. It's fine but not my preferred location and there is only one cabin in my category I could switch to and it's in a very similar spot so no point. We have a RoyalUp in and I check several times a day for other cabins in my category to appear but if we wind up in our current cabin, we'll still have a great cruise!

Not that anyone cares, but after switching twice, we are now 4 cabins away from the cabin we had on Indy in July and we loved the location. I'm done checking and we decided to cancel the RoyalUp. 5 days and counting...

Even though I'm not that picky, I really appreciate the option to move cabins within your category for free.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 3:56 PM, OCSC Mike said:

I've booked many GTY's. It can be any time, but there's a trick to finding out your assignment early that usually works.

Method 1. If you have an apple device, add your set sail pass to your apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

Hope this helps.

How does one do this before the check in period opens?  I've been on RCCL many times, but not since 2019.  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

How does one do this before the check in period opens?  I've been on RCCL many times, but not since 2019.  Thanks.

You can't because you won't have your set sail pass until after check-in.