Guarantee cabin assignment

zebra

We cruise fairly regularly but have not taken the guarantee option till now.  The booking is pretty much last minute and the cruise is in 2 and a half weeks.  We booked 2 days ago and it is still showing on our App as GTY.  My question is:  Is there a chance of being assigned a cabin number soon or is it more likely that it will only be done on embarkation?

Magic 8 ball. Just keep checking every day. Either they will, or they won't.  

You can look at the bar code on your set sail pass - either use a QR scanner, or send it to your Apple Wallet, and look at the last 4 numbers after the dash. That should be your room number.

If it is not assigned by the time you get to the port, you can get one made for you there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zebra said:

Is there a chance of being assigned a cabin number soon or is it more likely that it will only be done on embarkation?

Assuming you checked in, decode the barcode in your SetSail pass - the digits past the dash should be your cabin number, if assigned. You’ll likely get an assignment before boarding. 

2 minutes ago, zebra said:

We cruise fairly regularly but have not taken the guarantee option till now.  The booking is pretty much last minute and the cruise is in 2 and a half weeks.  We booked 2 days ago and it is still showing on our App as GTY.  My question is:  Is there a chance of being assigned a cabin number soon or is it more likely that it will only be done on embarkation?

I've booked many GTY's. It can be any time, but there's a trick to finding out your assignment early that usually works.

Method 1. If you have an apple device, add your set sail pass to your apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I've booked many GTY's. It can be any time, but there's a trick to finding out your assignment early that usually works.

Method 1. If you have an apple device, add your set sail pass to your apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks but rookie question - how do I add my set sail pass to my apple wallet.  I only have apple pay set up in my apple wallet.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, zebra said:

Thanks but rookie question - how do I add my set sail pass to my apple wallet.  I only have apple pay set up in my apple wallet.

Go to your set sail pass in the app and you should see "add to your apple wallet." You can actually then just hit preview to see the numbers if you don't want to actually add it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Go to your set sail pass in the app and you should see "add to your apple wallet." You can actually then just hit preview to see the numbers if you don't want to actually add it.

Eureka! It worked. I had been trying to do it from my MacBook, but of course when I pulled up the set sail on my iPhone there was the "add to your apple wallet" button.  Many thanks for yours and everyones help.

5 minutes ago, zebra said:

Eureka! It worked. I had been trying to do it from my MacBook, but of course when I pulled up the set sail on my iPhone there was the "add to your apple wallet" button.  Many thanks for yours and everyones help.

Well, don't leave us hanging!!  Do you have an assigned cabin??

• Like 1

Yes I have an assigned cabin on Deck 9 towards the aft, not too far from the elevators. Perfect position for us ..... we choose to be close to the aft elevators usually, so this is great!  So very pleased.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

When you open it in the app, the bottom right, under the bar code should have a little icon that says Add to Apple Wallet.  Click it, then go to your wallet and you should be able to see it.

59 minutes ago, zebra said:

Yes I have an assigned cabin on Deck 9 towards the aft, not too far from the elevators. Perfect position for us ..... we choose to be close to the aft elevators usually, so this is great!  So very pleased.

I’m glad your first guarantee experience was a happy one. 
We have booked a fair number if guarantees over the years.  As we are flexible, not prone to motion sickness and not particularly noise sensitive, they have worked out well for us overall….and sometimes really well. 

Edited by Starry Eyes

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’m glad your first guarantee experience was a happy one. 
We have booked a fair number if guarantees over the years.  As we are flexible, not prone to motion sickness and not particularly noise sensitive, they have worked out well for us overall….and sometimes really well. 

This is how we feel!  We love the mystery and build up of excitement.  And we don’t get sea sick and don’t have any sensitivities to any noise whatsoever.  

But…we also looooooooooove to book as close to the port dock access as possible (like deck 2!) so I guess everything is an upgrade from that, for most.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, janetjulie said:

If you don't use the barcode trick, when does it show up in the booking?

A week or so ago I booked my first GTY cabin, so I have been wondering the same thing. From what I have read, I am guessing it can vary by many factors with it happening weeks ahead and others not knowing till boarding day.     I headed one person say that they got theirs a month ahead and later they learned through talking with fellow passengers that their reservation was tied to another person who had an accessible cabin and they wanted to be nearby so they got their GTY assigment quick. 

1 hour ago, janetjulie said:

If you don't use the barcode trick, when does it show up in the booking?

It can be any time from months in advance to the day of your cruise.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillOh said:

I headed one person say that they got theirs a month ahead and later they learned through talking with fellow passengers that their reservation was tied to another person who had an accessible cabin and they wanted to be nearby so they got their GTY assigment quick. 

LOL, the person you heard certainty could have “wanted” their gty cabin to be near fellow passenger, but if it happened it was good luck.  They could have been assigned the furthest away cabin in that category (or higher).  I do not believe there is any mechanism to make requests for gty cabins (be it a high deck, close to elevators, or a location close to/far from😉a linked reservation).  Nor do C&A member get (or deserve) better treatment than newbies.  

Those of us who book gty all seem to roll the same set of proverbial dice.  I’m pretty flexible and have overall been happy with gty cabins over the years; sometimes just satisfied, sometimes very, very happy.  Sometimes I have swapped cabins within categories.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

LOL, the person you heard certainty could have “wanted” their gty cabin to be near fellow passenger, but if it happened it was good luck.  They could have been assigned the furthest away cabin in that category (or higher).  I do not believe there is any mechanism to make requests for gty cabins (be it a high deck, close to elevators, or a location close to/far from😉a linked reservation).  Nor do C&A member get (or deserve) better treatment than newbies.  

Those of us who book gty all seem to roll the same set of proverbial dice.  I’m pretty flexible and have overall been happy with gty cabins over the years; sometimes just satisfied, sometimes very, very happy.  Sometimes I have swapped cabins within categories.

I have always understood guaranteed selection means you will get the category you book, say inside, OR better. RCI agent told us if you book inside guarantee, you will only get inside. Is this now true?

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

No need to laugh out loud, that isn't what I said or what implying.  The cabin the person got became open because another person got moved out of it to be near a person with an accessible cabin.  

44 minutes ago, BillOh said:

No need to laugh out loud, that isn't what I said or what implying.  The cabin the person got became open because another person got moved out of it to be near a person with an accessible cabin.  

Sorry if I misunderstood.  So, party A moved from one available cabin to another available cabin on the ship.  Of course somebody else would end up in that vacated cabin; it happened to be assigned to party B via the gty process.  But why did they imply the movement resulted in a “quick” gty assignment for party B? Royal could theoretically have held that cabin (or any other) and released the assignment just before the cruise.  

3 hours ago, Six-Eleven said:

I have always understood guaranteed selection means you will get the category you book, say inside, OR better. RCI agent told us if you book inside guarantee, you will only get inside. Is this now true?

I think you are correct: the cruiseline can still chose to place you in a higher category if they wish.  With RoyalUp, the odds that they will do so are probably lower now.  Certainly I would expect an inside cabin assignment if I booked an inside gty.

3 hours ago, Six-Eleven said:

My understanding was always that you would get your exact cabin type, but it can vary within that level. For example, I got a virtual balcony once when I booked an interior GTY. It's still an interior cabin but they do charge more for it than a standard interior.

Edited by OCSC Mike

On 8/3/2022 at 5:46 PM, zebra said:

Glad that you are pleased with your guarantee - so what guarantee category were you in and what category were you assigned - Thanks and have a great cruise!

22 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Sorry if I misunderstood.  So, party A moved from one available cabin to another available cabin on the ship.  Of course somebody else would end up in that vacated cabin; it happened to be assigned to party B via the gty process.  But why did they imply the movement resulted in a “quick” gty assignment for party B? Royal could theoretically have held that cabin (or any other) and released the assignment just before the cruise.  

The person had a GTY and was assigned that cabin. If I remember correct the person who originally had that cabin stopped by to see if his bags got delivered there. 

I have a guaranteed balcony.  I have been checking daily for a cabin assignment.  Check in is this Thursday.  If I don't have an assignment by then, I will try  the bar code trick.

Does anyone know the cabin number in the barcode, is that final or still subject to change?