Guarantee cabin assignment

zebra

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

You can't because you won't have your set sail pass until after check-in.

That's what I thought, but was confused by some folks saying they were looking 5+ weeks out from their cruise.  Thanks for the reply, was making sure I didn't miss something and seems I didn't.  Can check in for mine soon and will use this trick when I do, thanks.

1 minute ago, dolfan1980 said:

That's what I thought, but was confused by some folks saying they were looking 5+ weeks out from their cruise.  Thanks for the reply, was making sure I didn't miss something and seems I didn't.  Can check in for mine soon and will use this trick when I do, thanks.

No problem.

Not being snarky, but doing the math, check-in opens 45 days out which is 6+ weeks.

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

No problem.

Not being snarky, but doing the math, check-in opens 45 days out which is 6+ weeks.

Even better, only two days to go, thanks for that info.  It just says they'll e-mail me when it's available, didn't say when.  My last few sailings have been on NCL where it's 21 days before.  Nice!  Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

Even better, only two days to go, thanks for that info.  It just says they'll e-mail me when it's available, didn't say when.  My last few sailings have been on NCL where it's 21 days before.  Nice!  Thanks again.

You're welcome again. Check the app, it will tell you check-in is in X days.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I called today to try and move my GTY cabin assignment. I used to be a cruise agent so I know a little bit about what can and can't be done. I'm assigned a 4D and tried to move to a 4D. He said it would be $330 more. After reading some of the comments here, I'm wondering if it's because I would be moving muster stations?  Would calling the Crown and Anchor desk be worth a shot? I will have a great cruise even if I don't move my cabin, but I saw one available where I normally like to stay (lower level and aft). I also have a Royal Up bid in. I'm not sure I've ever sailed forward so maybe it will be a nice change 🙂 

1 hour ago, Jyllie63 said:

I called today to try and move my GTY cabin assignment. I used to be a cruise agent so I know a little bit about what can and can't be done. I'm assigned a 4D and tried to move to a 4D. He said it would be $330 more. After reading some of the comments here, I'm wondering if it's because I would be moving muster stations?  Would calling the Crown and Anchor desk be worth a shot? I will have a great cruise even if I don't move my cabin, but I saw one available where I normally like to stay (lower level and aft). I also have a Royal Up bid in. I'm not sure I've ever sailed forward so maybe it will be a nice change 🙂 

As always, you have nothing to lose by asking politely. I would approach the exchange with no expectations. You will come from the exchange with nothing lost and possibly something gained.

Some will lecture you about how you booked a GTY and should take what you are given per the contract. This is a leisure activity. This is not a corporate takeover with lawyers on both sides sharpening their pencils and spreadsheets protecting their turf.

Ask, if you get a no, nothing lost. You tried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jyllie63 said:

I called back to Crown and Anchor desk. I am reassigned :-).

Good to hear. Got back from an Indy cruise on Friday and I moved our cabin twice within a week of sailing, no problem whatsoever.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Good to hear. Got back from an Indy cruise on Friday and I moved our cabin twice within a week of sailing, no problem whatsoever.

Everyone seems to forget that RCI would like its customers happy and coming back for more. Why would I not accommodate your request and make you a satisfied cruiser if possible?

• 9 months later...

Just a note about using the bar code to learn your GTY room number. It didn't work for me. No numbers showed on my set sail pass until my room was assigned. They did not show on the app or online and a bar code reader would not read it. Don't know why. Maybe I am just jinxed!🙃

I almost always book GTY because it is so much cheaper. I'd rather spend my money on exploring the destinations. I never knew you could request a change after your room was assigned. Unfortunately, it won't work for me for my next cruise. It is all sold out.

I do appreciate all of the posters that share their knowledge here. I have learned so much on Cruise Critic.

I’m following this chat. The information is very helpful! After sailing quite a few times, (D+) we just booked our first guarantee, a Jr Suite guarantee on Liberty that sails in 9 weeks. All balcony rooms were sold out at this point, and I’m not interested in booking a full suite with the minimal perks offered on this ship. It’s actually adding a bit of suspense we’ve never had before— haha! Excited to get our assignment, even though it will be awhile.
I’m sure we will be happy with any cabin we are assigned.

Thanks to all who have patiently answered many questions I’ve wondered about too! I’m learning a lot.

Edited by sixbirches
  • Like 1

We are on the 9/3 Oasis sailing.  The Bar Code trick worked so I think I know what my cabin is.  My question is, when can I expect my documents to reflect this?  As of now, Luggage Tags are blank.  Will they be filled in on assignment or will I fill them in?

24 minutes ago, E&D2004 said:

We are on the 9/3 Oasis sailing.  The Bar Code trick worked so I think I know what my cabin is.  My question is, when can I expect my documents to reflect this?  As of now, Luggage Tags are blank.  Will they be filled in on assignment or will I fill them in?

Once you are officially assigned your cabin, the cruise docs "should" update shortly thereafter. If your official assignment comes very close to sailing, you can fill them in yourself or just ask the porters at the port... they have blank luggage tags.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 12:33 PM, Tall22 said:

Just a note about using the bar code to learn your GTY room number. It didn't work for me. No numbers showed on my set sail pass until my room was assigned. They did not show on the app or online and a bar code reader would not read it. Don't know why. Maybe I am just jinxed!🙃

I almost always book GTY because it is so much cheaper. I'd rather spend my money on exploring the destinations. I never knew you could request a change after your room was assigned. Unfortunately, it won't work for me for my next cruise. It is all sold out.

I do appreciate all of the posters that share their knowledge here. I have learned so much on Cruise Critic.

If the barcode reader you selected played well with the set sail pass barcode, you should have either seen GTY or a cabin number to the right of the -.  If you did not see either of those, perhaps next time try a different bar code reader app.  The barcode trick does not always give early info about the cabin number; sometimes the barcode says gty until the cabin is officially assigned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

If the barcode reader you selected played well with the set sail pass barcode, you should have either seen GTY or a cabin number to the right of the -.  If you did not see either of those, perhaps next time try a different bar code reader app.  The barcode trick does not always give early info about the cabin number; sometimes the barcode says gty until the cabin is officially assigned.

I understand what SHOULD have been there but it wasn't. I am not new to this. I have used this method before and nothing is wrong with my reader. The numbers were not showing anywhere, as I noted, not even on RCI's website.

24 minutes ago, Tall22 said:

I understand what SHOULD have been there but it wasn't. I am not new to this. I have used this method before and nothing is wrong with my reader. The numbers were not showing anywhere, as I noted, not even on RCI's website.

OK, you said the numbers were not there.  Were the letters “gty” there?  If so, RCI simply had not assigned your cabin.  That’s rather common; it is not “jinxed.”🙄

Just now, Starry Eyes said:

OK, you said the numbers were not there.  Were the letters “gty” there?  If so, RCI simply had not assigned your cabin.  That’s rather common; it is not “jinxed.”🙄

NOTHING was there! Jinxed was a joke.

55 minutes ago, Tall22 said:

How nasty. What's your problem?

It was a joke…a classic… kids & tech.  And, by the way, “shouting” with caps in your previous posts is rude.  So look in a mirror when asking, “what’s your problem?”

Edited by Starry Eyes

14 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

It was a joke…a classic… kids & tech.  And, by the way, “shouting” with caps in your previous posts is rude.  So look in a mirror when asking, “what’s your problem?”

My apologies. Not an acceptable reason, but I was in a bad place and let it impact something that was totally unrelated. I am sorry for my response. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tall22 said:

My apologies. Not an acceptable reason, but I was in a bad place and let it impact something that was totally unrelated. I am sorry for my response. 

We all have bad days and I’m sorry if I inadvertently made your’s worse.  Would planning a cruise help?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

We all have bad days and I’m sorry if I inadvertently made your’s worse.  Would planning a cruise help?

😆Thank you! I have one planned and will be sailing on August 31st. One of my issues this week is health related and am hoping I will be able to make it.

• Like 1