Skagway Landslide today?

Tippyton

15 hours ago, gvgseg said:

I jist read that another rockslide occurred 2 days later on Friday, 8/5. Skagway has officially closed Railroad Dock where Encore and Discovery Princess dock for remainder of 2022. They will reroute to Icy Strait Point or Sitka.

Where did you read this?  As I stated above (#16) we had an e-mail on Friday which said we would dock and use tenders.

There seems to be confusion after the additional rockslide on Friday. Some articles are saying they closed the railroad dock for the year, however, I think it is only the Forward Berth and the Aft Berth will still be used with passengers tendering to the small boat harbor. 

Here are a couple of articles. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when ships actually sail in the coming weeks. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/another-rockslide-in-skagway-dock-to-remain-closed-for-2022/78411

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/more-rockslides-hit-white-pass-yukon-dock-in-skagway/

The Anchorage Daily News published an article on their website about an hour ago.  To be frank, it isn't the best written piece of journalism.  As I read the article the forward Railroad dock is closed for the rest of the season while the aft Railroad dock will tender passengers.  The port will remove 24 sailings from their port schedule.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

The Anchorage Daily News published an article on their website about an hour ago.  To be frank, it isn't the best written piece of journalism.  As I read the article the forward Railroad dock is closed for the rest of the season while the aft Railroad dock will tender passengers.  The port will remove 24 sailings from their port schedule.

That’s correct! There are also 2 other docks that are not affected and are fully functional. Only one dock is not in service. Too many rumors saying Skagway closed for the season!

On 8/5/2022 at 12:57 PM, donaldsc said:

Please provide a link to that other thread.  All cruise ships have tenders.  Tenders = lifeboats.  Lifeboats = tenders.

DON

chengkp75 in the following thread indicated there are some US specific rules that apply in when using lifeboats as tenders in US waters.  It is conceivable that different countries have slightly different rules associated with training and what extra equipment has to be in the lifeboat for it to be used as a tender.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2870945-another-landslide-in-skagway-anyone-currently-on-the-encore/

Here is a link to an updated schedule for Skagway. Those at Railroad Aft Dock (RRA) will use tenders from the dock to the small boat harbor. Those using the Ore and Broadway dock will be docked as usual and no tenders will be used.

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/skagway_visitor_department/page/33137/aug_5_2022_update_skagway_cruise_ship_schedule.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0RmSq_aZ3PfkfX1eeTVKjoz3dsMeZx6auBicjL6vxKu6JqQ8ahHv-K3QQ

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fuzzy Slippers said:

We are still scheduled to be at Skagway on 9/27 (NCL Bliss). We'll see if they cancel that stop for us.

Bliss is scheduled to use the Railroad Aft (RRA) dock in 9/27. You will tender from the dock to the small boat harbor. 

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/skagway_visitor_department/page/33137/aug_5_2022_update_skagway_cruise_ship_schedule.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0RmSq_aZ3PfkfX1eeTVKjoz3dsMeZx6auBicjL6vxKu6JqQ8ahHv-K3QQ

I have been keeping up with this since I am traveling on the Encore 9/04. When I signed into my account on NCL yesterday I saw that they had taken away Skagway and were replacing it with Icy Straight Point. This morning I received the official NCL itinerary change email. 

8 hours ago, JT1962 said:

will be looking for further information from upcoming cruises to see how the tendering situation goes. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28029-princess-cruises-makes-more-changes-to-skagway-calls.html

Just saw this today...

Majestic Princess

Princess Cruises has announced it will retain two thirds of its port calls to Skagway, AK through the remainder of the 2022 Alaska season.  

Of the 31 remaining calls to Skagway, 21 itineraries will remain intact and make stops in the popular Alaska port, the company said, in a press release.

However, because the forward dock that has been closed for the season is the primary location where Princess Royal Class ships dock, and because there are no other viable alternatives, Princess is making adjustments to 10 itineraries, including:   

• the August 23 and September 6 sail dates for Majestic Princess and August 25 and September 1 sailings for Discovery Princess will now feature Icy Strait Point 
  • the August 16 and August 30 sail dates for Royal Princess will feature Haines 
  • the August 11, September 8, and September 22 sail dates for Discovery Princess and September 13 sail date for Royal Princess will feature Sitka
  • Thanks 1

What has RCCL Ovation been doing this week for anyone who has docked lately? We are due there 9/20 I believe to dock a RRA...so I'm assuming we will tender to the harbor. If anyone is familiar with the town how far does this put us from walking to Avis for our rental car?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, udamom said:

What has RCCL Ovation been doing this week for anyone who has docked lately? We are due there 9/20 I believe to dock a RRA...so I'm assuming we will tender to the harbor. If anyone is familiar with the town how far does this put us from walking to Avis for our rental car?

Thanks

The tender operations deliver passengers to the small boat harbor so you are closer to the "downtown" (Skagway is very compact and small) than if you walk from the RR aft berth.  If Avis is still located where they were several years ago when we rented for a day then you are about 15 minutes away.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 4:57 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

Google Map for reference -

note the distance from the aft railroad dock to the marina -

Zoooom the map in and out for more or less detail -

thanks for the map. This looks like it would be an extremely short tender. They are basically just taking you up to the front of the pier inside the small boat harbor? That is good hopefully they are getting lots of practice on this before we get there on 9/20 and will be fast and proficient! 

6 minutes ago, udamom said:

thanks for the map. This looks like it would be an extremely short tender. They are basically just taking you up to the front of the pier inside the small boat harbor? That is good hopefully they are getting lots of practice on this before we get there on 9/20 and will be fast and proficient! 

We were on the Solstice B2B in June.  The first leg we were were in Skagway before the June slide, and the second leg were were in Skagway after the June slide.  So we tendered the second leg of our B2B.

The tenders will run from your ship to the small boat harbor.  Very short distance and extremely quick ride.  Just be aware that depending on tide conditions the walk on the ramp from the small boat harbor to land can be very steep.  We are in excellent condition but it will be an issue for folks with ability issues.  Solstice pool butlers were really having to push some folks up that ramp.

+

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, udamom said:

Thanks

I was on the 08/12 Ovation sailing, docking in Skagway on 08/15. They made announcements the day before that tender tickets would be available starting at 8am the morning of 08/15. The app said 7:00am so there was some confusion. My Dad and I went to the wine bar around 7:30am (Figured we would be late...or early..lol), as he was told by a staff member that one person from each stateroom had to be there to get tickets (ie: he could not get all 4 for our family). That ended up being incorrect, at least for us. I asked for 4 tender tickets, they gave me 4, while my Dad just stood next to me. They did not even ask for our stateroom numbers. 

There was a cruise passenger at the wine bar that started taking people's names down and assigning them a number because people started to congregate and it was unfair for those who got there first, second, third, etc. to be cut in line by people just arriving when they started handing out tickets. This worked out perfectly and it was extremely helpful and kind of him to do so, it kept the chaos to a minimum. Basically, he was sitting in the lounge with a laptop and an excel sheet. When you arrived, he took your name and gave you a number. He told me I was number 21. He made it very clear he did not work for RCI but was doing this to keep things organized; it was greatly appreciated by all who arrived early, as when the staff came down to hand out tickets it became a zoo of people. He then read everyone's names and numbers aloud and people got in a single file line in number order. He gave out 43 numbers then everyone who arrived after those with numbers just filed in line behind us. 

We were given tender group # 2 and were on the tender by 9:55am (earlier than our 11am expected arrival time into Skagway!). The ride took about 10 minutes once everyone was on board and to get docked. We were at Avis by 10:20am! They let us pick the car up early as we were not scheduled until 11:30am but had a "24 hour rental" scheduled.

On our way back to the ship, we got in line for the tender around 5:30pm (Last tender was 7:30pm I believe). The line moved pretty quickly, and we were back on board by 6pm!