Skagway Landslide today?

Tippyton

I have not seen any news about an actual rockslide since last month. There was a geological study that was released that showed there was the potential for a major rock slide above the front berth of the railroad dock.  They closed the front berth of the railroad dock last week after the study was released.

Some ships have been going to other ports . Ships docking at rear berth of the railroad dock have been using tenders to take passengers to a different location to meet excursions and get to downtown.

Edited by JT1962

2 hours ago, Ockatty said:

Skagway News posted about it today on their Facebook page. Encore had to use tenders from another ship to return their passengers from another pier. No injuries were reported.

The other ship was HAL's Noordam. Curious why Encore couldn't/didn't use theirs?

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The other ship was HAL's Noordam. Curious why Encore couldn't/didn't use theirs?

I was on the Discovery Princess when the slide happened in June, the Encore probably did the same we did.  Since they were already tied up to the dock, they could only drop the tenders from the one side.  They probably used some of their own and borrowed some from the Noordam.  We used 3 of our own and then Holland America lent 3 from the Nieuw Amsterdam.

31 minutes ago, jerseygirl629 said:

I am on Ovation next week and we are supposed to dock at the Railroad Dock but the "Aft" section. Wonder what they will do for our sailing. Doesn't seem too safe to have 4,000 passengers walk by the rock/land slide zone. Ack...

They likely will use tenders to take passengers to a different dock near downtown. That is what most have been doing recently.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just read on another thread that the Encore does not have any tenders, thus why they needed to use another ships.

19 hours ago, Jase0581 said:

Just read on another thread that the Encore does not have any tenders, thus why they needed to use another ships.

No tenders? Huh? Only life boats?

If it was an issue of being tied to the dock, and could only use tenders off one side, they could pull off the dock and use tenders from both sides.

Anyway, good job by HAL.

It didn't make any sense to me either as they are clearly in the photos of the ship. 

Another link said they are ok for lifeboats but not certified in US waters for tenders because of lack of certain extra equipment and personal quals. 

sightcrr. 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:08 AM, Jase0581 said:

Please provide a link to that other thread.  All cruise ships have tenders.  Tenders = lifeboats.  Lifeboats = tenders.

DON

45 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Please provide a link to that other thread.  All cruise ships have tenders.  Tenders = lifeboats.  Lifeboats = tenders.

DON

Not really. Tenders have easier access, and have different capacities when functioning as a lifeboat versus a tender...usually marked on the side, for example 150 people as a Lifeboat, 100 as a tender. Lifeboats are pretty much, due to lack of ease of access, intended for one time use.

If you look the next time you are onboard, you can clearly see the differences on many ships. 

We are booked on the Discovery scheduled to be in Skagway on the 18th.  Received an e-mail from Princess today which said we would dock at the aft berth and a "ship to shore water shuttle" would be used since the walk on the dock is closed.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 5:25 PM, Kansas Gal said:

We are booked on the Discovery scheduled to be in Skagway on the 18th.  Received an e-mail from Princess today which said we would dock at the aft berth and a "ship to shore water shuttle" would be used since the walk on the dock is closed.

FYI - we did the Majestic (a sister to the Discover) to Cabo in the Spring, had to take the water shuttle to shore there, and had a 2 hour wait for the shuttle off the ship.  I'm not sure if that's a function of the port, the class of ship, dumb luck, or some combination of those - but I wanted to give you a heads-up as you plan the day.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jeremiah On a Cruise said:

FYI - we did the Majestic (a sister to the Discover) to Cabo in the Spring, had to take the water shuttle to shore there, and had a 2 hour wait for the shuttle off the ship.  I'm not sure if that's a function of the port, the class of ship, dumb luck, or some combination of those - but I wanted to give you a heads-up as you plan the day.

I am assuming that Jeremiah is referring to tendering at Cabo San Lucas.  If so the distance from ship to tender dock is much, much longer in Cabo San Lucas than from the Skagway aft railroad berth to the Skagway small boat harbor.  The tender ride in Skagway is very short.  

But be aware that the walkway from the Skagway small boat harbor to shore can be very steep depending on the tides.  We tendered in Skagway in June and some folks with mobility issues struggled.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jeremiah On a Cruise said:

There is almost always a crush to get on the tenders at the start of tender operations.

55 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

We are supposed to dock at the closed RR forward dock.  No word from Celebrity.  Leave 8/12 Seward.

I can't imagine any ship docking at the forward RR berth.  My husband is not an engineer but is a geologist.  We both have read the Shannon and Wilson structural engineering report on the slide issues.  The major concerns are the older slide area -- not the side in June.  

Remember that there are other docks in Skagway, and if you are leaving from Seward you are on the Millennium which is one of the smaller ships in the Celebrity fleet.

I was onboard and ended up waiting in the rain for about 1 1/2 hours (got in line at 5:50). Thankfully, things remained very peaceful with little complaining even though the line was moving very slowly. They could only take 50 people at a time. Crew members, including senior officers, were handing out free ponchos which they had originally charged $3 for when we were disembarking in the rain in Juneau.

I did start to wonder why there were some people who were taken to a secondary line even though they were not needing wheelchair assistance. This did result in some "friction" as most people had been waiting around an hour in the rain at this point. I didn't realize that they were Haven guests or I would have been more upset. I was very close to the front of the line when this happened and the line suddenly came to a standstill for at least 10 minutes for no apparent reason. Around 7:30, they were finally able to also utilize shuttle busses so that they could use both busses and tender boats concurrently. Once that happened, the line moved much faster and somehow we managed to leave Skagway only about half an hour later than scheduled.

I jist read that another rockslide occurred 2 days later on Friday, 8/5. Skagway has officially closed Railroad Dock where Encore and Discovery Princess dock for remainder of 2022. They will reroute to Icy Strait Point or Sitka.

13 hours ago, gvgseg said:

I jist read that another rockslide occurred 2 days later on Friday, 8/5. Skagway has officially closed Railroad Dock where Encore and Discovery Princess dock for remainder of 2022. They will reroute to Icy Strait Point or Sitka.

We are on Discovery next week and have not heard anything about rerouting to Icy Strait or Sitka.