EU Flight Delay Compensation

iancal

Our late June return flight from Faro, Portugal was delayed for 7 hours.

In accordance with the EU regulations (that were handed out on paper when we finally boarded), we were entitled to 600Euro each in compensation for the delay.

This week, five weeks after we submitted the claim to AIr Transat, we received an apology and were advised that a cheque for the full amount claimed was being processed and mailed us.

Very pleased.  We were expecting some pushback or at the very least the offer of a credit instead of a cash payout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've claimed a few times from British Airways for 600 Euros. The first time they pushed really hard and I had to file with small claims court before they caved and issued an eVoucher for the full amount entitled (plus costs), which for me was as good as cash since I fly BA a fair amount.

Subsequent claims were paid out right off the bat, I don't know if that was because they have record of me claiming before...

European regulation 261/2004 is very clear when it comes to flight delays or cancellations - this applies to all flights within the EU (plus certain other countries) and flights to and from the EU.  Flights to the EU, however, only for airlines established in the EU, while from the EU it also applies to non-EU airlines.
Many airlines offer a voucher for double the amount of the mandatory compensation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

European regulation 261/2004 is very clear when it comes to flight delays or cancellations - this applies to all flights within the EU (plus certain other countries) and flights to and from the EU.  Flights to the EU, however, only for airlines established in the EU, while from the EU it also applies to non-EU airlines.
Many airlines offer a voucher for double the amount of the mandatory compensation.

Our understanding is this compensation schedule also applies to EU based airlines on flights from North America to Europe.

For us, this means there is a consumer protection advantage to select and be ticketed on a Lufthansa, KLM, TAP, etc when buying air from  North America to Europe  rather than from a NA carrier such as Air Canada or United. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:48 AM, iancal said:

Our late June return flight from Faro, Portugal was delayed for 7 hours.

In accordance with the EU regulations (that were handed out on paper when we finally boarded), we were entitled to 600Euro each in compensation for the delay.

This week, five weeks after we submitted the claim to AIr Transat, we received an apology and were advised that a cheque for the full amount claimed was being processed and mailed us.

Very pleased.  We were expecting some pushback or at the very least the offer of a credit instead of a cash payout.

Thanks, OP, for starting this thread and sharing good news. I just filed a claim for my cancelled SAS flights (due to early July pilot strike), and wondered about the chance of successfully getting some compensation (to offset loss from purchasing last-minute replacement air tickets). If and when I receive my check, I shall report.

iancal, I shall keep in mind about your advice regarding booking EU flights in the future.

• Like 1

We had seven hours to google eu flight regs while patiently waiting at Faro Airport.  This was one data point that we found.

https://onemileatatime.com/guides/europe-flight-compensation-eu261/

The carrier handed out a sheet with similar info but written in a more technical manner.  

It took me five minutes to fill out the airlines on line claim form.  I did mention that I wanted compensation per EU261 so that they would be aware that I knew what I was entitled to.

If you read through this, and other data, you will note that there are parameters concerning when you can claim for buying an alternate ticket, etc.  Also, the compensation is not limited to the fine.  My understanding is that it can include lodging, etc.   The fines for delayed departures are tiered, with 600eu being the highest compensation limit.

One other surprising detail.....the compensation applies to reward ticket as well as revenue ticket passengers.

Compare these regs to the pitiful airline consumer protections rule that are in place in North America.

Good luck.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Thanks, OP, for starting this thread and sharing good news. I just filed a claim for my cancelled SAS flights (due to early July pilot strike)

Right now you’ll probably not get any respond from SAS due to the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection. You might need to wait for the protection to come to an end. 

Save all messages, receipts and what you have received in connection with your flight.  If you do not hear anything now, you can apply for compensation at a later date.
In Denmark, the limitation period is three years, so you can make claims within those three years. Then you can start making claims again when the bankruptcy protection is over.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 1:17 PM, iancal said:

Our understanding is this compensation schedule also applies to EU based airlines on flights from North America to Europe.

I can attest that we received compensation due to flight delay EWR-OSL from SAS. That was preCovid, by a week. No compensation for getting home early on one of the last flights to the US out of CPH.

Whenever possible, we fly a European airline ticketed by that airline, not a codeshare on a U.S. line, to Europe.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@iancal, thank you for this thread.  I am just about to file for a cancelled flight by KLM booked through Delta.  As this happened within minutes of my father-in-law passing away, this morning, my brain is a little scattered so I am hoping for clarity by posting here.  Here are the details:

- Flight booked through Delta:  IAD-MAN with a connecting flight in AMS.

- Connection AMS-MAN cancelled, with no options, 7 days to flight.  (Originating flight Wed, Sep 28th; connection on Thurs, Sep 29th.)

- Delta tells me KLM has cancelled all flights that day so there is no option to reschedule.  (KLM refused to speak with me since I booked through Delta.)

- Delta rescheduled me IAD-JFK-MAN, with Virgin, on the TA leg.

- $$$ paid to KLM for seat upgrades.  Delta says I must contact KLM for refund.

When I look at KLM’s website there are options for compensation as well as refunds.  Do I file twice?

To file, you can choose only the IAD-AMS flight or the AMS-MAN flight.  Does it matter which one I choose?  Obviously the seat upgrade cost less for the IAD-AMS leg but it was actually the AMS-MAN flight which was cancelled.

I probably have more questions but if anyone can offer advice or share their experience I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Edited by *Miss G*

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

To file, you can choose only the IAD-AMS flight or the AMS-MAN flight.  Does it matter which one I choose?  Obviously the seat upgrade cost less for the IAD-AMS leg but it was actually the AMS-MAN flight which was cancelled.

Always a problem when it comes to Code Share.
 You can only raise compensation claims against KLM.  For cases of official codeshare agreements, claims for 261 compensation can only be made against the company responsible for operations.  

Compensation only depends on how much later you arrived at MAN than originally scheduled. If re-routing did not cause a delay, you are not necessarily entitled to 261 compensation for delay.
You are of course entitled to a refund from KLM regarding the seat upgrade.

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

Always a problem when it comes to Code Share.
 You can only raise compensation claims against KLM.  For cases of official codeshare agreements, claims for 261 compensation can only be made against the company responsible for operations.  

Compensation only depends on how much later you arrived at MAN than originally scheduled. If re-routing did not cause a delay, you are not necessarily entitled to 261 compensation for delay.
You are of course entitled to a refund from KLM regarding the seat upgrade.

Correct, only KLM as they were the ones who cancelled the flight.  I wouldn’t have arrived at MAN, at all, because they cancelled all flights that day.  There was no re-routing and no further options; just a list of links to claim refunds and compensation.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Correct, only KLM as they were the ones who cancelled the flight.  I wouldn’t have arrived at MAN, at all, because they cancelled all flights that day.  There was no re-routing and no further options; just a list of links to claim refunds and compensation.

Yes, but you booked with Delta and they rescheduled you IAD-JFK-MAN. Did you pay any additional costs for rescheduled flight and were you arriving into MAN later than originally scheduled. You might not get compensation for a cancelled flight if you are scheduled at no costs and arrive on time. You try to file a claim but the you should do it on two separate claims - one for cancelled flight and one for the paid seat upgrade. 

• Thanks 1