HEATHROW airport baggage mess ??? yikes!

DONNAKG

hello!

We fly into London LHR airport for our upcoming , British Isles with Princess ,cruise, arriving on Sept15th.

I READ THE AIrPORT IS TRYING TO STOP so many people from coming in.

I am a bit concerned about the baggage fiasco.

I really hate to  take a carryon and backpack for almost 16 days.

Normally , my hubby and I each take a large one.

Any one been there lately?

THANK YOU

DONNAKG

We returned from our two week Regal cruise two weeks ago into Heathrow and we had no problems whatsoever.

Flight landed 10 minutes early from Barcelona. Passport control was a breeze and all three cases arrived on the conveyer belt in better time than we can remember when we flew in from Madrid in May.

Don’t believe all the scaremongering!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DONNAKG said:

hello!

We fly into London LHR airport for our upcoming , British Isles with Princess ,cruise, arriving on Sept15th.

I READ THE AIrPORT IS TRYING TO STOP so many people from coming in.

I am a bit concerned about the baggage fiasco.

I really hate to  take a carryon and backpack for almost 16 days.

Normally , my hubby and I each take a large one.

Any one been there lately?

THANK YOU

DONNAKG

If the airport managers are trying to limit the number of passengers using the airport, the way they would do it is be limiting the number of flights in and out of the airport, not limiting the amount of people taking a scheduled flight. 

Couple of factors that will help how you feel:

1) The airport is limiting the short-haul flights to alleviate congestion.

2) By mid-September the summer travel season will be over which will naturally reduce congestion.

I've been watching this too as we're arriving at LHR on October 4.

• Like 2

Flew into T5 Heathrow at 5.30pm on the 20 July from Athens.  
Took no longer then 10 mins to get through passport control and when we arrived at the baggage belt our cases were on it.  We couldn’t believe our luck having heard so many “horror stories”.   

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

If the airport managers are trying to limit the number of passengers using the airport, the way they would do it is be limiting the number of flights in and out of the airport, not limiting the amount of people taking a scheduled flight. 

That's not true. Heathrow have imposed a cap of 100,000 passengers per day and are asking airlines not to fill their planes. They are not limiting the number of flights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We fly to LHR this weekend.  14 days with cruise and  pre trip days.  I’ve read the real problems are with connecting flights.  We are taking one checked bag, and a carry on each.  We packed items we absolutely need in the the 2 carryons using compression bags.  If we lose the checked bag, will file an insurance claim, buy new stuff and make do.  We will also use ship laundry services.

We returned home using LHR in June, it was crazy, but got home with our luggage.  

Other tips (if possible) 

Use a bag that is not black. 

Allow plenty of time for your bag to be processed at check in

Take  pictures of your bag and it’s contents before leaving home, put your name and contact information inside the bag, as well as out. 

Don’t attach ribbons or other items to the handles as bags can get caught in the belts.

Use tracking devices such as Apple’s AirTag. You  can also track your  bag with the airline’s app.  Not sure all Airlines offer this feature. 

I don’t think LHR has near the problems seen all over the US almost every weekend.  

Will try and report back next Sunday. 

Edited by milolii
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We flew from Budapest to LHR to Montreal on July 22nd. 

We were very apprehensive, but finally no problems at all.

Going through security was less than 10 minutes. Had time for a beer and fries before boarding.

Luggage travelled with us all the way to Montreal.

• Like 2

thank you everyone for the encouraging posts.

On 8/7/2022 at 7:01 PM, milolii said:

We fly to LHR this weekend.  14 days with cruise and  pre trip days.  I’ve read the real problems are with connecting flights.  We are taking one checked bag, and a carry on each.  We packed items we absolutely need in the the 2 carryons using compression bags.  If we lose the checked bag, will file an insurance claim, buy new stuff and make do.  We will also use ship laundry services.

We returned home using LHR in June, it was crazy, but got home with our luggage.  

Other tips (if possible) 

Use a bag that is not black. 

Allow plenty of time for your bag to be processed at check in

Take  pictures of your bag and it’s contents before leaving home, put your name and contact information inside the bag, as well as out. 

Don’t attach ribbons or other items to the handles as bags can get caught in the belts.

Use tracking devices such as Apple’s AirTag. You  can also track your  bag with the airline’s app.  Not sure all Airlines offer this feature. 

I don’t think LHR has near the problems seen all over the US almost every weekend.  

Will try and report back next Sunday. 

MILOLI--

THANKS FOR YOUR INFO!

Could I ask where you are getting your covid test to board your cruise ship?

Princess asked for antigen 3 days prior at the earliest. We are flying in 3 days early  to London, have a hotel. Having trouble finding an antigen test at Heathrow.

Have you or anyone used the BinoxNow /emed proctored??

THANKS AGAIN

DONNAKG

39 minutes ago, DONNAKG said:

thank you everyone for the encouraging posts.

MILOLI--

THANKS FOR YOUR INFO!

Could I ask where you are getting your covid test to board your cruise ship?

Princess asked for antigen 3 days prior at the earliest. We are flying in 3 days early  to London, have a hotel. Having trouble finding an antigen test at Heathrow.

Have you or anyone used the BinoxNow /emed proctored??

THANKS AGAIN

DONNAKG

As of August 9, 2022, Princess updated the pre-boarding Covid test required for sailings from the UK. Here’s a quote from their website:

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests ages five and older must take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) within three days prior to embarkation on the ship. This can be done at any time in the three days before on the day of embarkation. Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-cruise testing. (Please note that these updated guidelines apply to the UK but not to the U.S., Canada or EU).”

We went though LHR this past weekend. No real issues. We got our checked  bag OK.  
One of the main issues I saw( and we got caught up as well) was the liquids and creams in a clear baggie.  This means all products. 

We had a small tube of hand lotion from the hotel and a travel size tube of toothpaste.  I didn’t think about three items.  Our other stuff(mouthwash, etc) were properly removed and prepared in the plastic baggies.  We passed  through LHR un June, but I think these items might of been in our checked luggage.

Before us, two people waited as a large number of cosmetics were removed from their carryons and tested. If I had to guess this is a major contributing  factor to long security lines. We informed the security agent he could discard the items  and replied he still had to test them.  We used the fast track lanes.  

Local news was reporting the passenger cap is working and has been extended. 

We don’t need the test, but we are sailing with NCL this time.

Hello!

thanks again for all  your help!

I did call Princess and he said he think a self administered  Antigen test is what you need to do.

What ? Do you  show them the stick with the pink line?

After some research i found under Cruise health:

* Effective on voyages departing on Sept 6 , 2022 & beyond...

Departing from USA, United Kingdom and Europe..

voyages up to 15 days, fully vaccinated .... Testing not required*

Guess I will wait and see who is correct???

19 minutes ago, alidor said:

Don’t believe what you hear.  Came through Heathrow on August 3.  Got through passport control and got our bags and were out in 20 minutes.

This I want to believe.  🤞  Flying into Heathrow next week.  What time of day did you arrive and what terminal?  I'll arrive T3 around noon.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

On 8/15/2022 at 1:43 PM, DONNAKG said:

Hello!

thanks again for all  your help!

I did call Princess and he said he think a self administered  Antigen test is what you need to do.

What ? Do you  show them the stick with the pink line?

After some research i found under Cruise health:

* Effective on voyages departing on Sept 6 , 2022 & beyond...

Departing from USA, United Kingdom and Europe..

voyages up to 15 days, fully vaccinated .... Testing not required*

Guess I will wait and see who is correct???

Testing is required but self test antigen is permitted. So test & report, no certificate required. You will get an email 2 weeks before your cruise explaining this

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

Testing is required but self test antigen is permitted. So test & report, no certificate required. You will get an email 2 weeks before your cruise explaining this

Oops. My cruise is Sept 2nd so its got different rules?? Anyway you'll get a very clear (IMHO) email 14 days before embarkation.

I just want to get through e-gates and out to the bus station in hopefully an hour. Carryon only

Edited by Ombud

On 8/21/2022 at 7:07 PM, Ombud said:

I just want to get through e-gates and out to the bus station in hopefully an hour. Carryon only

Today was my turn.  From landing at T3 to the Central Bus Station was just under 40 minutes.  Carryon only.  Those immigration gates were great.  Walked right up to one.  There are lots of them.  I'm glad I'd seen those mentioned here on CC.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SomewhereGirl said:

Today was my turn.  From landing at T3 to the Central Bus Station was just under 40 minutes.  Carryon only.  Those immigration gates were great.  Walked right up to one.  There are lots of them.  I'm glad I'd seen those mentioned here on CC.

Recently Virgin Atlantic has been landing early and my flight next week is only 2/3 full so I should make the bus (giving myself 1.5 - 1.75 hrs)

hello,

just checking to see how the luggage situation has been. Some of you have posted no problem with carryon only.

Anyone recently at LHR with checked baggage???? Just wondering if the bags are still piled up to the ceiling,, YIKES???!!

. Our flight is Sept 14th CVG to BOS and then onto LHR.

thanks for the info,

DONNAKG