ArriveCan app. Is this needed going to Canada?

The way I interpret this is that if you arrive "by sea in a private boat" then you don't have to be tested, but because cruise ships are "petri dishes of COVID" you must be tested. 

Edited by rudeney
typos

14 hours ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

How far in advance can you fill this out? My cruise is 60 days away.

Canadian here.

ArriveCan is needed.  It's super easy and takes minutes as you can scan you passport.

Yes  most of the information can't be filled out until 72 hours before but you can download the app and get your info prefilled any time.  I did mine months before the cruise because I did it for my entire family.  Then when you go to fill it out when you are entering Canada it's super easy and fast because everything is all ready to go.

22 hours ago, Arubamoose said:

I downloaded it and filled it out for our cruise in three days.  Received an email from them and printed out the QR code just as a back up.

Having just traveled to Canada 3 weeks ago (not buy cruise but by air) I can verify that they definitely require you fill out the ArriveCan app and need the "QR CODE" (either paper or electronic).  

Another option for people who would prefer not have their phone tracked by the Canadian govt. is to use the website and print out a hard copy.  Most discussion about Arrivecan revolves around the app.  The website works just as well and gives Ottawa no more information than what you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Having just traveled to Canada 3 weeks ago (not buy cruise but by air) I can verify that they definitely require you fill out the ArriveCan app and need the "QR CODE" (either paper or electronic).  

Flying into Vancouver you didn't need to show the QR code since it was linked to your passport. There must have been something on the printout from the kiosks that said you were good to go.

We are cruising in Sept. on Adventure on a New England cruise and we board prior to the 72 hours before our arrival in Canada.  I am not sure how this will be handled?  Obviously unless one has internet connection this would have to be submitted somehow on the ship.

13 minutes ago, tannes said:

We are cruising in Sept. on Adventure on a New England cruise and we board prior to the 72 hours before our arrival in Canada.  I am not sure how this will be handled?  Obviously unless one has internet connection this would have to be submitted somehow on the ship.

72 hours before boarding the ship:

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

How to use ArriveCAN

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

13 hours ago, rudeney said:

The way I interpret this is that if you arrive "by sea in a private boat" then you don't have to be tested, but because cruise ships are "petri dishes of COVID" you must be tested. 

Exactly. I tried to post again last night but it didn’t submit. Cruise ships are in a different category.

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

Shore excursions in Canada during the cruise

• there is no arrival testing for passengers entering Canada for shore excursions
  • you may be asked to show your ArriveCAN receipt from your initial embarkation
    • you won’t have to resubmit ArriveCAN
  • if you aren’t fully vaccinated due to medical reasons, you’re allowed to join a shore excursion. You must have proof of a valid medical contraindication and a valid ArriveCAN submission.
  • if you aren’t fully vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief, you aren’t allowed to disembark the ship in Canada except in a medical emergency.

Quite a few different answers about pre cruise testing when traveling to Canada. 
People are posting different links and each one says something different.

Of course I pick the 2 places that still require testing. lol

I will be on a Bermuda B2B before the Can/NE cruise. 

I will have to pretest for Bermuda. Will they still need another for Canada?

Will Royal test us for Canada leg?

9 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

Quite a few different answers about pre cruise testing when traveling to Canada. 

There's nothing different between what I posted and what @LB_NJ posted.  You have to be fully vaccinated (or have a medical exception), proof of a negative COVID test, and complete complete ArriveCAN prior to boarding the ship (what I posted), but you don't have to show proof of vaccine or a negative test each time you disembark on a Canadian shorex, though you may have to show your ArriveCAN pass (what @LB_NJ posted).

My guess is that you'll have to do the ArriveCAN while on the first leg.  As for testing, I think, but am not sure, that they will test you while on that first leg.  I seem to recall someone else asking about this recently and that's how it was done.

6 minutes ago, rudeney said:

There's nothing different between what I posted and what @LB_NJ posted.  You have to be fully vaccinated (or have a medical exception), proof of a negative COVID test, and complete complete ArriveCAN prior to boarding the ship (what I posted), but you don't have to show proof of vaccine or a negative test each time you disembark on a Canadian shorex, though you may have to show your ArriveCAN pass (what @LB_NJ posted).

My guess is that you'll have to do the ArriveCAN while on the first leg.  As for testing, I think, but am not sure, that they will test you while on that first leg.  I seem to recall someone else asking about this recently and that's how it was done.

Post #17 says you need to and Post #22 said you don’t need to.

1 hour ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

Post #17 says you need to and Post #22 said you don’t need to.

That statement in post #22 is incorrect.  I'll admit, it is a bit difficult to dig through the Canada.ca website to get this information.  They mention that no testing is required in some places, but it is very clear about cruise ships - you MUST test.  I included the link and the text from that in post #23:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

The only link that matters is the Royal Caribbean link. Which is sometimes different that what you find on country links. Follow what the cruise line wants, else, you will be denied boarding and left on the dock. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The only link that matters is the Royal Caribbean link. Which is sometimes different that what you find on country links. Follow what the cruise line wants, else, you will be denied boarding and left on the dock. 

Yes, of course!  👍  But RCCL has to follow Canada's rules.  And if Canada has a rule like "test within 2 days" but RCCL says "test within 3 days", you need to go by Canada's rule - countries trump cruise lines.  But of course RCCL follows Canada's rules exactly so no worries. 

10 hours ago, tannes said:

I was on a Disney cruise back in May that started in Honolulu and ended in Vancouver.  We filled out the ArriveCan 72 hrs prior to embarking the ship (not arriving in Canada).  They checked to ensure we filled it out as we were boarding the ship (like what someone else noted above - the QR code was checked for the flight). 

any idea if ArriveCan needs go be updated for each port of call or is it just the first port in Canada?

Having a hard time finding out on line.

Then again for Canada it is all about Arriving in their country so perhaps they do not care about port hoping?

17 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

any idea if ArriveCan needs go be updated for each port of call or is it just the first port in Canada?

Having a hard time finding out on line.

Then again for Canada it is all about Arriving in their country so perhaps they do not care about port hoping?

Just for the first port…

Just now, KATHYMAC68 said:

Just for the first port…

wow I am curious how you found this out.  My internet searching left this as an unanswered item.

And if what you say is true, then I am pleased.   

Then again the word ARRIVE could be a clue but one never knows these days what to think.

thanks

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

They have special provisions for cruise ships.  You fill in the info before boarding the ship and that covers all the ports it visits in Canada.  

Rudeney thank you for the correct information,

CBSA has an special arrangement with visiting cruise ships from US ports. We still have to test 48hrs before boarding ( Royal Caribbean requirement also)  the ship and 72hrs before arriving at an Canadian port of entry complete the ArriveCAN app or web site.

If you were driving across the border you would just need to be vaccinated and say you were symptom free on the app or web site which is linked to your passport.

CBSA will do random testing.    

Edited by gc

On 8/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, CruiseWendy said:

It's a Canadian customs form so it does need to be filled out. I downloaded the app and fill out the information prior to our cruise next week. Makes it easier to submit later in the week.

I have the app but can’t fill out till 72 hours prior to arrival into Canada.= Since Canada is our last port (round trip Seattle) we wouldn’t be able to fill out prior to sailing yet I read somewhere you have to have it filled out before boarding the ship. Does the website have a form we can copy and hand fill-out and is that acceptable?

54 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

I have the app but can’t fill out till 72 hours prior to arrival into Canada.= Since Canada is our last port (round trip Seattle) we wouldn’t be able to fill out prior to sailing yet I read somewhere you have to have it filled out before boarding the ship. Does the website have a form we can copy and hand fill-out and is that acceptable?

You can fill out the app info more than 72 hours before you arrive at port.  There are two dates - one for "date of embarkation" for the ship (which must be within 72 hours of filling out the app info) and one for "Date of arrival" in the first Canadian port you will visit, and this must be within 30 days.