Will HAL follow now?? NCL changes Covid policy

DaveOKC

4 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

NCL just released new policies for Covid testing and vaccination.  It appears to me to be effective Sept 3, 2022 and most (not all) sailings are included.  It seems that cruises that include Canada are not included at this time.  PLEASE REVIEW THIS LINK AND MAKE YOUR OWN ASSESSMENT.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

And the reason Canada is not included is that CANADA ( not the cruise lines) requires tests for cruises touching Canada. 

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And the reason Canada is not included is that CANADA ( not the cruise lines) requires tests for cruises touching Canada. 

Perhaps Canada will now lift that requirement - we can only hope!  I purposely booked our Alaska to sail out of Seattle instead of Vancouver to minimize restrictions, but I of course that did not work out totally.

• Like 1

The travel professionals of Canada are already seeking adjustments one of which is getting rid of ArriveCan and the random airport testing.  Perhaps they will add this to their list.  I sort of doubt it because they will probably wait to fight that battle next year. 

Edited by Mary229

23 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The travel professionals of Canada are already seeking adjustments one of which is getting rid of ArriveCan and the random airport testing.  Perhaps they will add this to their list.  I sort of doubt it because they will probably wait to fight that battle next year. 

The random airport testing also applies to land borders.  I, too, hope that goes away, as I am apparently a target for “random” testing.  🙄

I don’t think you’re going to see ArriveCAN going away but I do see it morphing into a conduit/data collection point for advance customs declarations and e-pass.  (Where “e-pass” consists of facial recognition, trusted traveler and passport information, arrival & departure records, alerts & flags, and financial transactions.)

43 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Perhaps Canada will now lift that requirement - we can only hope!  I purposely booked our Alaska to sail out of Seattle instead of Vancouver to minimize restrictions, but I of course that did not work out totally.

I doubt Canada will be lifting that restriction in 2022.  Agreed that your only course is to hope.  😂

I don't know.  I personally don't like the idea of being in close contact with the unvaxxed.

But, hey, I & my cruise friends got Covid on our Alaska cruise in June, and we were all vaccinated (and boosted) and had negative tests.

So if the protocols aren't keeping us from catching the virus, I guess it really doesn't matter.  My brain says it does (or at least, it should!), but the evidence seems to say otherwise.

But I won't be unhappy if all the unvaxxed head over to NCL.  🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Come on HAL - lets hear your plans for us!

I am not inclined to push, a few hours or a few days may be enough to nudge them in our direction.    If NCL issues a public statement about their lines lighting up with bookings it will be more than CCL can stand 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am not inclined to push, a few hours or a few days may be enough to nudge them in our direction.    If NCL issues a public statement about their lines lighting up with bookings it will be more than CCL can stand 

According to my travel agent, NCL is lighting up with bookings today. Of course, that is only one tiny data point.

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Hold tight. I suspect Canada will life the requirement. 

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I doubt Canada will be lifting that restriction in 2022.  Agreed that your only course is to hope.  😂

Respectfully disagree. I believe Canada will follow the money. Time will tell. I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong should it turn out otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Respectfully disagree. I believe Canada will follow the money. Time will tell. I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong should it turn out otherwise. 

Its August. I don't see a lifting of the restrictions would change the money situation much this summer.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its August. I don't see a lifting of the restrictions to change the money situation much this summer.

I agree.  They think they have the money that is to be had in their pocket already.  I would love it to change but it suits Ottawa if they keep the mandate and not lose money 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its August. I don't see a lifting of the restrictions to change the money situation much this summer.

The occupancy on Alaska sailings in the fall is dismal. If Canada doesn't change I would not be surprised if cruises ships head back to warmer waters earlier. 

Of course I'm just speculating like everyone else. 🙂 

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

The occupancy on Alaska sailings in the fall is dismal. If Canada doesn't change I would not be surprised if cruises ships head back to warmer waters earlier. 

How can they head back to warmer waters? Its not like they have dock space booked anywhere else, excursions, etc. Many of the cruise lines are working barebones staffing in the headquarters...its not like they could just quickly set up alternate sailing plans. And then the pax who need to be canceled, rebooked, new flights. Ugh...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

But I think it is what it is.  I can’t see it changing much this late in the season.  If air travel were easier then perhaps they could see a rise in bookings but that isn’t improving anytime soon.  I would love to be wrong as I sail in September 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

How can they head back to warmer waters? Its not like they have dock space booked anywhere else, excursions, etc. Many of the cruise lines are working barebones staffing in the headquarters...its not like they could just quickly set up alternate sailing plans. And then the pax who need to be canceled, rebooked, new flights. Ugh...

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

But I think it is what it is.  I can’t see it changing much this late in the season.  If air travel were easier then perhaps they could see a rise in bookings but that isn’t improving anytime soon.  I would love to be wrong as I sail in September 

Both those arguments make sense. Let's see how it pans out. 

Edited to add: I believe it's more likely that Canada will change it's protocols before ships cancel sailings. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Perhaps this has been posted elsewhere, but Princess has posted the following on their FAQs for cruises departing from Southampton:

Update  8/8/2022 - Unless otherwise communicated, all guests ages five and older must take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) within three days prior to embarkation on the ship. This can be done at any time in the three days before on the day of embarkation. Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-cruise testing. (Please note that these updated guidelines apply to the UK and EU but not to the U.S., Canada or Greece).

So at least one CCL line is beginning to change testing requirements, albeit only for the UK/EU countries.  But the shift is coming to HAL too...

2 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health

So they are relying on the honor system?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Kinda like the old days when they asked us on the health questioner if we were feeling ill and everyone answered on the honor system 😉 

I just did a home test today using one of the US government provided ones.  Quick and fairly easy, much less effort than getting an "official" one now and alot cheaper!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I just did a home test today using one of the US government provided ones.  Quick and fairly easy, much less effort than getting an "official" one now and alot cheaper!

I really think the cruise lines need to be reminded that these tests aren’t free anymore and are taking money out of their customers’ pockets.  Money they could have used on the cruise ship. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I really think the cruise lines need to be reminded that these tests aren’t free anymore and are taking money out of their customers’ pockets.  Money they could have used on the cruise ship. 

I'm just going to add, they never were free. Taxpayers paid for them. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm just going to add, they never were free. Taxpayers paid for them. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. 

That is true.  Since I rarely use my Medicare benefits I considered the Covid testing something for my $150 a month. 🤣

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2