Food

A much more important topic FOOD

As I ahve said, we are visiting 

Denmark

Norway

Greenland

Iceland

When we travel we always try to, at least, sample some of the 'local' food to really get a flavor of where we are.

We have been to Copenhagen before, but only on a cruise day, now we will be spending 3 nights there. Last time we had the most delicious chocolate eclair from a local bakery shop. We still remember it. 

So from some of the experts what should we try while in Denmark, Norway, Greenland and Iceland?

Our only negative thing is we do not eat meat but do eat seafood.

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated, be it regular food, sweets, even quick snacks.

(We will be in Tivoli Gardens for one day, anything in particular we should try there (food wise)?

Cheers

Len

in Norway, creamy fish soup is popular, and everyone has their own take and taste. Bergen in particular is known for it.

Cod is historically the lifeblood of the west coast and the primary trading good (before oil). Most of the dried cod is exported, but fresh cod shows up here and there.

With the widespread salmon farms, if you like salmon sashimi, there are sushi shops all over selling buttery farmed salmon. The other sashimi is very hit or miss depending on the shop, but the salmon is nearly always good to great. Even grocery store and convenience store salmon nigiri tends to be pretty okay.

Freia milk chocolate is delicious, and the factory was the inspiration for Willy Wonka.

Waffles are an iconic snack/dessert in Norway, but I tend to find them bland and ordinary most of the time. However, eating them with sour cream and jam is the standard and often a surprising choice to foreign visitors.

Another option on the baked goods front is boller. Cardamom buns (plain or with raisins baked in) are the croissant of Norway and sold at every kiosk alongside morning coffee. They are definitely better fresh, so best purchased in the morning.

For a portable sweet snack, I’d recommend picking up some prepackaged lefse at the grocery with butter and cinnamon (kanel). And for a savory snack, chili nuts (breaded lightly spiced peanuts) are an addictive chip alternative that always disappear quickly.

• Like 1

As is the case in Norway, Denmark is also a large fishing nation.  
Some examples of good fish restaurants in Copenhagen

Havfruen, Nyhavn 39
  Fishmarket, Hovedvagtsgade 2,
  Fiskebaren, Flæsketorvet 100
  Krogs Fish Restaurant, Gammel Strand 38

And a little challenge - either for breakfast or lunch - try marinated herring (spegesild/marineret sild) 

- other good fish for lunch/open sandwich (smørrebrød) are fried herring, mackerel or fried plaice fillet. Might be something for Tivoli - have a look at ‘Fru Nimb’, ‘Søcafeen’ .

Also visit ‘Tivoli Food Hall’ (No entrance fee).

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. WE ARE fish eaters and LOVE Salmon and Cod, so we should have no trouble enjoying our meals.

Is Ice Cream a big favorite in these countries? My DW has to have her ice cream 'fix' most days. Any specialty flavors?

Cheers

Len

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. WE ARE fish eaters and LOVE Salmon and Cod, so we should have no trouble enjoying our meals.

Whilst visiting several Greenlandic ports we mostly saw fresh seal meat for sale.  And one time we thought we were looking at whale meat (or it could have been blubber).  Whichever it was, it was vastly outnumbered by the amount of seal meat we saw on display.

I think I remember reading that in winter they eat cooked seabirds but there are perhaps fish dishes available.

Very little choice of dining-in spots in Q, more likely to have more options in Nuuk. Looking rather incongruous in Q we spotted a THAI takeaway/tiny restaurant which was a bit of a surprise, but we saw some of the  Asian crew heading in there so it must be quite authentic and tasty. (if it is still in business)  Don't actually remember seeing an other  restaurants as such in Q.

Do have a wander around a supermarket in Q.  Really quite interesting to see what local shopping consists of.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Lunch or dinner? Smoked fish is normally for lunch - restaurants for dinner see post #4

LOL, either.  I will even eat for breakfast!

I have checked the menus of the restaurants you provided and can't wait to try.

We are at the Imperial Hotel for 3 nights, if this helps.

3 minutes ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

I will even eat for breakfast!

Then you should try pickled herring (marineret sild). Smoked salmon is very common for breakfast.

For lunch I can recommend open sandwiches (smørrebrød) with Smoked herring, eel or mackerel.

Try Torvehallernes Smørrebrød, Tivoli Food Hall or some of the more expensive restaurants for lunch:

Slotskælderen hos Gitte Kik, Fortunstræde 4; Aamanns Deli, Øster Farimagsgade 10; Restaurant Schønnemann, Hauser Plads 16 or Restaurant Kronborg, Brolæggerstræde 12 - just few examples.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Is Ice Cream a big favorite in these countries? My DW has to have her ice cream 'fix' most days. Any specialty flavors?

In Copenhagen I Can suggest

Isobar, Havnegade 51 (Nyhavn) - Sit in front of the shop and enjoy your ice cream and the view of the Opera and Knippelsbro - it doesn't get much better than that.

Confecture Copenhagen, Overgaden Oven Vandet 40a - Also the most delicious handmade chocolate.  The shop is right next to Christianshavn's canal, so it is almost obvious to enjoy the ice cream by the canal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

In Copenhagen I Can suggest

Isobar, Havnegade 51 (Nyhavn) - Sit in front of the shop and enjoy your ice cream and the view of the Opera and Knippelsbro - it doesn't get much better than that.

Confecture Copenhagen, Overgaden Oven Vandet 40a - Also the most delicious handmade chocolate.  The shop is right next to Christianshavn's canal, so it is almost obvious to enjoy the ice cream by the canal.

That is exactly what we want.  Thanks

Cheers

Len

No seafood in Iceland makes things difficult, but I had the best lampchops I've ever had in Iceland.

You can get Horsemeat there, if you look hard enough.  I had some horse jerky, didn't really like it and I like most jerkys.  Puffin is available, but I didn't try it.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

No seafood in Iceland makes things difficult, but I had the best lampchops I've ever had in Iceland.

You can get Horsemeat there, if you look hard enough.  I had some horse jerky, didn't really like it and I like most jerkys.  Puffin is available, but I didn't try it.

Thanks, but no thanks. LOL

I'll stick to regular fish.  

Cheers

Len

On 8/13/2022 at 7:07 PM, Giantfan13 said:

The only special flavor that comes to mind is licorice (lakris). I have seen brown cheese (brunost) at some touristy locations before but found it uninspiring.

Oh my! How did I leave brunost off of my original post?! You have to try brunost! Not because it’s amazing, but because it’s local and unique. Although it’s literally “brown cheese” it tastes nothing like cheese. It’s more like slices of slightly savory, not very sweet dulce de leche. It’s typically served sliced on a piece of buttered bread (we love our open-face sandwiches in Scandinavia) or on a waffle. And it really sticks to the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. But worse because it’s more solid! 😂

And if your venturing into questionable fish products, pick up a tin of «makrell i tomat»Makrell_i_tomat,_boks_2013.jpg

It’s a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. It took me years to try it because it smells very fishy and looks disturbing (people affectionately nicknamed it “plane crash”) but I actually think it tastes pretty good.

Edit to add: I forgot you’ll be in Oslo. Fiskeriet on Youngstorget is a good place to eat. It’s gotten touristy in the last few years but it’s still reasonably good. Sushi City Wok (https://sushicity.no/) on Skippergata is our go-to for take away sushi. It’s worth ordering ahead of time because the shop is tiny and full of teenagers ordering bubble tea. Sushi Asia by the city hall is also a decent choice with a convenient location and seating space. They do a brisk lunch traffic which means fresh turnover on ingredients but potentially a long wait.

Edited by kaisatsu
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

And if your venturing into questionable fish products, pick up a tin of «makrell i tomat»Makrell_i_tomat,_boks_2013.jpg

It’s a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. It took me years to try it because it smells very fishy and looks disturbing (people affectionately nicknamed it “plane crash”) but I actually think it tastes pretty good.

Since I don't eat fish, I won't comment the taste, but when questionable fish products are mentioned, one of the first things that pops into my mind is the Icelandic national dish Hákarl. And then another classic in that category is of course the Swedish delicacy of surströmming, although Sweden was not on original poster's itinerary, but I suppose it would be possible to hop on a train in Copenhagen and make a short visit to Southern Sweden (eg. Malmö).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Thanks, but no thanks. LOL

I'll stick to regular fish.  

Cheers

Len

I totally misread your original post.

The Char there is excellent.  Also the Whale.  I know, I know.  We made friends with a family and went to dinner with them at SeaBaron, which is large tables.  They ordered their food, we ordered ours.  One of the things they got was whale and they offered me a bite.  NO ADDITIONAL WHALES WERE KILLED TO FEED ME.  It tasted like a smoky and dense steak.

What they call lobster is not what I, in New England, would call lobster.  It isn't bad, but it is langoustine.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

In Reykjavik go to Valdis for ice cream. We were there in July 2020 on a land trip and it was very popular with locals. Salted liquorice is a very “local” flavour. Didn’t try it though - there was an abundance of flavours on offer.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, Scottishclover said:

In Reykjavik go to Valdis for ice cream. We were there in July 2020 on a land trip and it was very popular with locals. Salted liquorice is a very “local” flavour. Didn’t try it though - there was an abundance of flavours on offer.

Where about Reykjavik is this place? That sound interesting?

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. Some appeal to us, while we would probably pass on others, but I'm sure we will find something so we can go home and say we ate something special in each port.

Cheers

Len