P&O strikes again. Cabin upgrade

f1005705

Hello I’m fuming….Booked my mom in an inside cabin around 4 moths ago.  Phoned the agent today to upgrade to an outside with balcony as the price has dropped slightly and better on board spend which meant the differential between the two cabins was around £200.  P&O have advised the only option I have is to cancel and rebook……. This is due to them saying that if I upgrade then the new cabin will be charged at the same price as it would been 4 months ago with low OBC….  This is ridiculous!!!  Anyone had a similar experience?.  P&O are rapidly losing my loyalty 

• Like 1

P&O are notoriously inflexible on this issue. Crazy. If they are offering deals on a particular itinerary, bookings obviously leave something to be desired but they do nothing to help those already booked looking to upgrade...

• Like 1

All part of the flexible pricing policy. If they allowed people to do this, they would lose money hand over fist. Prices follow availability they don’t just do it out of the goodness of their heart. If you bought a tin of beans from a supermarket for 50p, would you take them back and demand a partial refund if they fell to 40p in order to sell them as they approached their sell by date?

• Like 3

We had to do this we cancelled our Caribbean cruise in March lost £300 deposit,  to then rebook 5 cabins down much cheaper and more onboard credit and was £300 or so better off , doesn’t always pay to book early, or maybe book and not look again at the bargains lol 

Deb

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smudgemum said:

We had to do this we cancelled our Caribbean cruise in March lost £300 deposit,  to then rebook 5 cabins down much cheaper and more onboard credit and was £300 or so better off , doesn’t always pay to book early, or maybe book and not look again at the bargains lol 

Deb

There are a lot of people who book early, not just in the expectation of the lowest select fare but in order to have a better chance of getting the cabin they want or grade of cabin when there are few of them. Accessible cabins spring to mind. If the prices fall after booking, at least I know I have booked what I want rather than from a small selection that are left or what P&O choose to give me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pete14 said:

There are a lot of people who book early, not just in the expectation of the lowest select fare but in order to have a better chance of getting the cabin they want or grade of cabin when there are few of them. Accessible cabins spring to mind. If the prices fall after booking, at least I know I have booked what I want rather than from a small selection that are left or what P&O choose to give me.

That is the main rider for us when booking early , we know where we want to be and usually a specific cabin if we have been on the ship previously, it can be disappointing when prices drop but in most cases once we've booked we don't look again

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 10:29 AM, f1005705 said:

Hello I’m fuming….Booked my mom in an inside cabin around 4 moths ago.  Phoned the agent today to upgrade to an outside with balcony as the price has dropped slightly and better on board spend which meant the differential between the two cabins was around £200.  P&O have advised the only option I have is to cancel and rebook……. This is due to them saying that if I upgrade then the new cabin will be charged at the same price as it would been 4 months ago with low OBC….  This is ridiculous!!!  Anyone had a similar experience?.  P&O are rapidly losing my loyalty 

Cancel and rebook is the normal option.

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Maybe not worth doing that and losing deposit

We have done that once, but only after doing the Sums carefully. When we did, we did it over the phone with Southampton and they double checked everything.

I just lost £170 deposit because of a similar issue after rebooking because current price on the Standard balcony was less than what I was paying on my original booking for a single balcony.   

(Originally I'd planned on changing the deposit to another cruise but they weren't open on the Sunday I re-booked & then during the next midweek the terms & conditions changed to say I could only transfer to a more expensive cruise but being a 2 week Caribbean cruise  & my next one being a 1 week med cruise it didn't meet the criteria.)

I found that a cruise I had booked was £1000 cheaper later in the year. So I phoned P&O and the answer was the same as yourself. The only way is to cancel and rebook, losing your deposit. Still worked out I saved £580 so went for it. From recollection in all my 15 cruises with P&O I only once had a refund as a cruise I had booked was cheaper. Prices I have found go up and down all the time. Cabins are available, then they are not, then they are again. This may be due to cancellations or P&O needing to get rid of certain grades of cabin. We have been upgraded a few times but in honesty can't tell the difference.

• Like 1

When we went on princess last year after booking cabin prices went down they upgraded us to a deluxe few weeks before cruise prices went down and again they automatically upgraded us to a premium balcony which had a massive balcony at the stern. Seems some cruise lines do this and others don't.We didn't ask to be upgraded 

So I cancelled the inside cabin lost £100 deposit.  Rebooked the outside balcony and got £330 on board spend so worked out £100 more for a higher grade cabin.  Could of cancelled and rebooked the same inside cabin and would of been £230 better off!!!

• Like 1