Tips on how to survive the “new”Seabourn

Love Sea Days

Paper luggage tags! (Really) it is suggested you either tape or staple your paper tags and pray they don’t get torn or wet. So bring a stapler?

Cold water, suggest you bring the little bucket from your frig in your room with you in the dining room!

Want more than a 1/4 glass of wine with your dinner, suggest you get a “Roadie” from the bar to take to the dining room…

Room service now need to call for tray pickup or like some passengers just leave in the hallway!!!! YUCK

Like your soup served hot, suggest sitting in the section near the kitchen.

Take honey in your tea suggest you take your own honey. 

Like your special coffee in the morning, get it in the square and take 2 if you are having breakfast in the Colonade…please return th a paper carriers so that they can be recycled.

Want to write a note on a piece of paper with a pen bring it from the hotel you stayed in before boarding the ship….

If you use the free bag of laundry service (for those with tons of cruises on Seabourn) you will find irons on deck 5 

All in all if you expect the Seabourn before Covid hit you will have to wait until more of the staff is trained properly.

If you don’t get the service you expect please speak up! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Sea Days said:

Paper luggage tags! (Really) it is suggested you either tape or staple your paper tags and pray they don’t get torn or wet. So bring a stapler?

I didn't use their luggage tags.  When the bags got to the pier, I just told them my room number and a large, proper tag was affixed.

Cold water, suggest you bring the little bucket from your frig in your room with you in the dining room!

Learned to say "ice water....with lots of ice"  Then I got water in one glass and a glass of cubes in another.  Oh well.

Want more than a 1/4 glass of wine with your dinner, suggest you get a “Roadie” from the bar to take to the dining room…

Just said "could you pour some more and save yourself another trip."

Room service now need to call for tray pickup or like some passengers just leave in the hallway!!!! YUCK

Stateroom stewardesses won't touch the room service tray.

Want to write a note on a piece of paper with a pen bring it from the hotel you stayed in before boarding the ship….

Notepads and pens were like hen's teeth.  The room got a silver pen and a pad with about 4 sheets of paper, and only the occasional black pen was to be found later.

But otherwise how’s your cruise going?  🙂

1 hour ago, Love Sea Days said:

All in all if you expect the Seabourn before Covid hit you will have to wait until more of the staff is trained properly

We’ve had three post-Covid sailings on Seabourn that have all been great, and overall up to previous standards.  With staffing issues of course mileage may vary, so sorry for your specific issues - we enjoy honey in our tea and never had any issues, nor with many other points you make.  

Our most recent Seabourn cruise was on Odyssey two weeks ago and had none of the problems listed above. Fabulous cruise! And the printed tags fit perfectly into our reusable luggage tag holders with no issue at all. Back to Ovation in December and Venture in February...making the most of life while we're able. When you're served a lemon (or lime), I'd say it's time for a margarita!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Love Sea Days said:

Like your soup served hot, suggest sitting in the section near the kitchen.

Take honey in your tea suggest you take your own honey. 

Like your special coffee in the morning, get it in the square and take 2 if you are having breakfast in the Colonade…please return th a paper carriers so that they can be recycled.

If you use the free bag of laundry service (for those with tons of cruises on Seabourn) you will find irons on deck 5 

All in all if you expect the Seabourn before Covid hit you will have to wait until more of the staff is trained properly.

Which ship were you on and when?

This began pre Covid.

Always carry my own water, and it's not the stuff they want you to drink.

Wine bottle is left on the table.

No guarantee the hotel is stocking pen/paper in the room.  

Lots of the current hiring practice.....recruiting from counties not previously used had begun prior to Covid.

You're swimming against the tide.   You should speak up and things will improve for you during your cruise.  But many of the changes were on the drawing boards prior to Covid and will not be reversed while CCL owns and HAL operates Seabourn.

I've cashed in four $500 future cruise deposits, will avoid SB and do the newest SS ships for awhile and explore Explora.

Do you have a favorite restaurant or two in RNO area?

This past winter my 79 night cruise on the Ovation was wonderful.  I enjoyed it so much that I signed up for the 140 night  2023 world cruise.  I don't care how my luggage tags are printed --I  only care that my luggage makes it to the ship. 

Everything seems to fall into place on the ship-- I love the positive energy on the ship of both crew and passengers, but there is always someone who sees the glass half empty.

• Like 1

Our last cruise in February this year was just as good as ever.  I couldn't fault anything.  The staff were wonderful, as always.  

Water not cold enough... ask for ice.  Luggage labels, do not care, as  @Lois10028says, I'm just glad my luggage gets there!

As far as laundry sent out in the bags... it always comes back absolutely immaculate, my husband's casual shorts even have a front crease in them from pressing!  

Anything that needs recyclying, I am happy to do, we should all be the same on that.

I'm sure Seabourn Square have pens and paper, they did when we were on in February, as we used the notepad in our suite and needed another couple.  My husband is always writing something so we carry a lot of pens anyway! 

The world has changed, everything is different, there may well be some odd minor hiccups with new staff being trained, although we haven't experienced it, I just feel happy and privileged to be able to cruise with the lovely welcoming staff, and fun, interesting passengers we are lucky enough to meet.  

• Like 3

Lest anyone wonder about this poster’s concerns, let’s all breathe a sigh of relief that he/she/they survived.

I mean, in an age of a dangerous pandemic, droughts, famine, wild fires, political scandals, economic dislocation and a devastating war in Europe, we need to make our issues, well, ISSUES. Starting with that point about printing your luggage label and affixing it yourself. “Just say No!”

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't the time (or energy in this heat) to trawl through posts, but I do remember that one of the ships had a lot of new staff on, and a sudden increase in passenger numbers very recently, which was causing problems according to various passengers.

Maybe someone can comment - I agree it is first world problems in view of everything going on, but it did sound as if Seabourn had scored an own goal in this instance.  Which is a shame, as it is the favourite line for many of us.

There's nothing wrong on the Encore at the moment.

Food great service great.

Guests great but only the ones that don't moan and have that certain look about them.

I just sat on deck eleven overlooking the sail away and heard a Scottish couple whose first Seabourn cruise it is.Moan,moan moan.

Perhaps their bagpipes were lost at the airport but you would have thought that the end of the World was approaching.😳

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well you have got some top brass on,  Mr.L.  Bound to be up to scratch.

I have a feeling the service problem due to new untrained staff and a much high passenger number recently is on Quest, but only the person with the original long list of complaints can confirm.

Please people! Someone’s survival is at stake. You read it yourselves!

Lives are at risk, and the bit about stale room service trays is heartbreaking, the roadies are on the loose, and you may have to use your own pen! Goodness knows how everyone will manage. And why, oh why, aren’t there more clothes irons?! The pain, the pain.

No, this is no time to faff about with who/where/why/really questions (although I accept you all are well meaning cruisers in your own right).

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Scottish couple whose first Seabourn cruise it is.Moan,moan moan.

Sounds like the amateur astromers club ... they know the Earth orbits the sun but they haven't twigged that the sun doesn't shine out their @#£% !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I just wish he/she/they would come back to confirm - suspect that they have read all the comments here and prefer no to!!

Sorry it has become a bit of a storm in a tiny teacup - though I do think it is a shame that the Seabourn reputation has been  trashed here.

• Like 1

Those that moan when you are onboard, just keep it to yourselves, and quietly sort it out in a polite and measured way with a member of staff.  They have to realise it impacts other passengers and that's just not fair.    Like Mr.Luxury said... who wants to hear this on a sail away?  

• Like 9

In fairness, I prefer balanced reviews that highlight the great, the good, the not so good and the bad. But this post is just a rant. “How to survive Seabourn”… seriously? Talk about first world problems… 

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, florisdekort said:

In fairness, I prefer balanced reviews that highlight the great, the good, the not so good and the bad. But this post is just a rant. “How to survive Seabourn”… seriously? Talk about first world problems… 

I just don't know how I'm going to survive the day here in Ermoupoli on the Encore

16605449987574826249670860039874.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 8/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mr Luxury said:

There's nothing wrong on the Encore at the moment.

Food great service great.

Guests great but only the ones that don't moan and have that certain look about them.

I just sat on deck eleven overlooking the sail away and heard a Scottish couple whose first Seabourn cruise it is.Moan,moan moan.

Perhaps their bagpipes were lost at the airport but you would have thought that the end of the World was approaching.😳

I will bet the Scots were Silverseas passengers. I remember listening to two Australians moaning constantly and saying SS was fabulous and that SB was only “ business clarrrss dahhling”. They kept us entertained nevertheless, and we were grateful they were never coming back on SB!