Changes Needed?

friendlyfifer

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

It all comes down to how it pencils out for your style. Whatever works best for each couple. It works best for many not to purchase SSP. 

The decision comes down to If you like the included wines or if you would prefer options? Additionally how many cocktails/wine you enjoy on vacation?  Viking pours are very reasonable to pay for, totally agree. And there are some good offerings in liquors in those reasonable offerings. 
At $19.95/pp it is a very fair cost for a cruise line. We prefer choices in wines and would end up paying more, because those included often do not work for us. So for us, SSP saves us money. We save money, is my point.

I too would love to see the payment in advance be more flexible as it was at one time. I would be pleasantly surprised if that occurred. Not holding my breath. 

Fair cost perhaps. Comparing to other lines is not really appropriate. Hitting it hard enough to beat the cost of the package at Viking prices may be viewed as a triumph by some. If you want to spend your vacation in a alcohol induced haze why not go with Carnival, Princess, etc.?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Selion said:

Missing the point.  Other cruise lines make the hours in ports readily available on their websites.  Viking doesn't.  How we book the cruise is not the conversation.

Nope, not missing the point.

The point was that Viking don't publish ETA/ETD's, which for me isn't an issue, as I make preliminary bookings. For me, this works better than researching websites. Might not work for you, but it does for me

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Nope, not missing the point.

The point was that Viking don't publish ETA/ETD's, which for me isn't an issue, as I make preliminary bookings. For me, this works better than researching websites. Might not work for you, but it does for me

Right...  And I thought the spirit of this thread is to discuss changes we, the customers, would like Viking to make.  Kind of a wish list, if you will.

Since you don't use the websites for your cruise planning, why does it bother you that some of us want to see the port times listed on the website?

Actually, don't answer that.  We've strayed off-topic too far already.  I'm gonna drop this topic and see what else we can add on to the wish list.

Edited by Selion
  • Like 2

Many thanks to you all for running with this topic. There are a number of areas where change would be appreciated by us, the loyal Viking passengers. Hopefully, Viking will be reading our suggestions and will make changes where possible and in time.

No one has backed me up with my suggestion for liquid hand wash rather than bars of soap. There must be a mountain of half used bars at the end of every cruise. What happens to them?
With this in mind, I would appreciate it if Viking could quantify the environmental /damage cost per passenger of each cruise. The cruise line and the passengers could then work to reduce this figure so that our impact on this fragile earth is diminished. 
Keep the suggestions coming.

38 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Viking is perfect.  There is no need for any changes.

Mr. Hagen- Does that qualify me for a free cruise?

No. You just get to be the co-moderator on the Viking FB board with Steve R. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

At least some cruise lines (Crystal back in the day) send leftover soap bars to a place that melts, purifies and reforms then as I recall they are donated to those in need. 

That said it would be less trouble to just use pumps. 

Conscious of wasting resources, I always take home any toiletries from our stateroom that are opened.  I assume those unopened will be reissued. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gincolo said:

Maybe you already know this, but one way to get this info is to find a ship on the cruisemapper website and select “all itineraries”, for instance https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Viking-Jupiter-1980?tab=itinerary#itinerary

Also, in the calendar section of my viking journey, the arrival and departure times are marked with a line.

30 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Makes for very objective reviews, I’m sure. 😉😎

I don't use FB but this seems ridiculously unfair. Perhaps someone should set up 'The Non-biased Viking Discussion Group' on FB, let folk really have their say. Need to make sure that the person managing is not getting back handers though!

• Like 1

I posted a very acerbic complaint about Viking home office booking in that group a couple years ago and had no problems. Since then I've read many other threads posted that were critical, and several quite unreasonably so in my opinion. The blanket statement that criticism is forbidden there is inaccurate. Threads can get closed to further comments if people keep attacking each other just like here on CC.

• Like 1

I quite enjoy that page and have also seen some critical postings.  Steve seems to post some really useful tips and reviews.   On this board there are various views ranging from the cheer leaders to those who are very acerbic.  

Often makes interesting reading.

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I quite enjoy that page and have also seen some critical postings.  Steve seems to post some really useful tips and reviews.   On this board there are various views ranging from the cheer leaders to those who are very acerbic.  

Often makes interesting reading.

They don’t put you in the Owner’s Suite and set up parties for 35 - during COVID - when I give a balanced review!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:46 PM, beach bunnie said:

I would like to be able to search cruises by ship.  We like to book B2B cruises.  Can't find an easy way to do this on Viking's site.

I've been advised that Viking does NOT want folks to focus on the particulars of any ship, but rather wants them to be interchangeable cogs.  Look at Viking brochures and the cruise "schedule" that you can get onboard -- minimal to non-existent mention of what ship is doing any particular cruise.  Because they don't want you to view all ships as equivalents.

8 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

They don’t put you in the Owner’s Suite and set up parties for 35 - during COVID - when I give a balanced review!! 

I understand.  However other 'paid' reviews have been highlighted on here.  Nevertheless there is still useful factual information about Viking and the ports visited.

We must all use our 'sensible heads' when reading anything on any sort of media, including this board.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 5:22 PM, duquephart said:

Fair cost perhaps. Comparing to other lines is not really appropriate. Hitting it hard enough to beat the cost of the package at Viking prices may be viewed as a triumph by some. If you want to spend your vacation in a alcohol induced haze why not go with Carnival, Princess, etc.?

Have tried both Carnival and Princess.  And a few others.  Viking best suits our style.  Whilst spending our vacation in a  alcohol induced haze we prefer a bit of quiet with the occasional chamber music.  😜

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:46 PM, beach bunnie said:

I would like to be able to search cruises by ship.  We like to book B2B cruises.  Can't find an easy way to do this on Viking's site.

Although not readily available on the Viking website, CharTrav, one of our regular posters on the Viking Board, maintains an exceptional Excel spreadsheet of the entire Viking schedule. Her spreadsheet is updated as the schedule changes, or Viking add new cruises. You can easily query by specific ship, with minimal Excel skills.

Here is a link to her spreadsheet thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2651194-viking-ocean-combined-cruise-schedule/page/13/#comment-63611193

• Thanks 1

I wish Viking would allow to get the Silver Package for just one passenger per stateroom when a medical reason is in play. You'd think they would have a way to accept medical exemptions. 

I'd love to get it for my husband on the next cruise. $20 per day for an 17 day cruise sound great, $40 per person per day, not so much. I like to get the packages just because I can't help to add up cost in my head and this is for my personal sanity. But I can't justify this on a cruise where drinks are included with food. 

• Like 5

On 8/18/2022 at 3:51 AM, Heidi13 said:

Personally, I find the Viking model way easier for my research. Takes a few minutes to make a dummy booking and Viking send you the Pax Statement that has everything list on 1 to 3 pages. Way easier than researching on some cruise line websites.

If I want to book, I let the option lapse and have my TA call them to commence the negotiations prior to a booking.

I wish we could do dummy bookings in Australia but the only option for us is to click on the cruise we want and then send an enquiry to the Australian office. Who lately have been taking a week to reply. Covid staffing stuff. It gets a little worrying when you are after a particular category and you can see the terminology change from availability, then limited etc while you wait for an answer. 

I detest liquid soap and we always take or buy a large soap block whenever we travel. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1