Changes Needed?

friendlyfifer

On 8/19/2022 at 7:35 AM, DGHOC said:

Oh well, if it's balanced that's good!  Comments repeatedly made here suggest it's not.

It is balanced in a way in that negative reviews are published. However the comments that some post to such stories are truly awful. A person has a genuine issue - in one case a fire on their ship the day they arrived, everyone including crew had to evacuate and the ship not able to be sailed so there were multiple alternate arrangements including having to leave their possessions onboard for a night until they could be retrieved by crew. Of course there was compensation provided but for those who'd paid for flights, arranged time off etc, let alone experience a ship fire and evacuation, and dared to comment they were upset - well they were completely piled on by the fanboys. Telling them they'd be compensated. No empathy at all. And others saying they had no issues at all on their cruise. As if that's relevant to the OP?  

Someone coined the phrase 'toxic positivity'. Kinda fits. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the thread.  

I vote for moving towards less single use plastic. Having other ways to provide bottled water than one time use plastic water bottles, changing the shampoo/conditioner/body wash to a dispenser model.  

1 hour ago, rizello said:

I vote for moving towards less single use plastic. Having other ways to provide bottled water than one time use plastic water bottles, changing the shampoo/conditioner/body wash to a dispenser model.  

The dispenser model is probably the most unsanitary option.

The "single use plastic" argument is a drop in the bucket.  It's cover for a way to cut costs, in hotels, ships and other areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rizello said:

Thanks for the thread.  

I chatted with the GM regarding options for alternatives for the bottles of water, not from the perspective of removing single use plastic, but from a cost perspective. I asked why Viking didn't provide re-usable water bottles with Viking logos.

He mentioned it had been considered, but the logistics and most importantly ensuring health & safety requirements and the associated liability were challenges.

Some potential issues were - sterilising between cruises noting TAR day is already extremely busy for the crew, requirement to have additional stock on board to ensure every cabin had 2 at embarkation as these would probably leave the ship in large quantities, and most importantly they would need to have crew filling the containers to prevent the potential for cross contamination.

9 hours ago, angelhelly said:

I wish Viking would allow to get the Silver Package for just one passenger per stateroom when a medical reason is in play. You'd think they would have a way to accept medical exemptions. 

Agreed.  I was able to provide a letter from a physician on another cruise line.  

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

He mentioned it had been considered, but the logistics and most importantly ensuring health & safety requirements and the associated liability were challenges.

FWIW, Oceania now provides two steel water bottles in each room.  No issues on sterilizing, as they are for each guest to have and take home if they wish.  And disposed of if left behind.  Dispensers throughout the ship, with recessed nozzles, so no contact between the bottle and the water nozzle.

Each bottle has a label, where the guest can put their name and/or cabin number.  Plus a caribiner on the stopper.

Seabourn has dropped the individual bottles and replaced them with refillable plastic containers in two sizes.  They are in each room (like the bottles on Viking), but with a screw top.  The smaller ones are put out on a table for guests to take when leaving the ship, with a "returns" table for them to be dropped off for re-use.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

FWIW, Oceania now provides two steel water bottles in each room.  No issues on sterilizing, as they are for each guest to have and take home if they wish.  And disposed of if left behind.  Dispensers throughout the ship, with recessed nozzles, so no contact between the bottle and the water nozzle.

Each bottle has a label, where the guest can put their name and/or cabin number.  Plus a caribiner on the stopper.

We are travelling with Oceania in November - I will be most interested to see if their refill system is actually hygienic (the recessed nozzles notwithstanding) - it sounds promising.

(Can't be worse than the people on another line who filled their bottles by jamming them against the nozzles during a large e. coli outbreak pre-covid 👿)   🍺🥌

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rizello said:

Thanks for the thread.  

Thanks for picking up on the environmental issues. I agree wholeheartedly and always refuse bottles of water as I leave the ship. Shower products also need changing as you say. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I chatted with the GM regarding options for alternatives for the bottles of water, not from the perspective of removing single use plastic, but from a cost perspective. I asked why Viking didn't provide re-usable water bottles with Viking logos.

Some potential issues were - sterilising between cruises noting TAR day is already extremely busy for the crew, requirement to have additional stock on board to ensure every cabin had 2 at embarkation as these would probably leave the ship in large quantities, and most importantly they would need to have crew filling the containers to prevent the potential for cross contamination.

Nothing is simple. Perhaps the answer is simply to stop giving out water at the gangway and encourage passengers to bring their own water bottles or buy a Viking one from the shop.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 4:02 PM, friendlyfifer said:

Gratuities are included with the cruise price here in the UK. That goes for all cruise lines. There must be some some reason why it is not the same in other countries. 

I prefer that gratuities are included from the outset with Viking and other lines, but it is certainly not so with ALL cruise lines here in UK: Cunard is most  definitely not inclusive.

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The "single use plastic" argument is a drop in the bucket.  It's cover for a way to cut costs, in hotels, ships and other areas.

Why is it unsanitary ?  Trouble is there are lots of "drops in the bucket"  Added together they are a real problem for the oceans and the planet.

• Like 4

On 8/20/2022 at 2:44 AM, FlyerTalker said:

If the cruise line saves money and single use plastics are reduced then it’s a win win.

• Like 6

Well this topic seems to be running out of steam. Thank you for all your input. Hopefully, Viking will be reading our suggestions and will gradually change service, where they can. As I stated at the outset, we all love Viking and small changes will encourage us to stay loyal to the cruise line and sail with them for many years to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

Well this topic seems to be running out of steam. Thank you for all your input. Hopefully, Viking will be reading our suggestions and will gradually change service, where they can. As I stated at the outset, we all love Viking and small changes will encourage us to stay loyal to the cruise line and sail with them for many years to come.

With his net worth going from $6+billion pre-covid to $1.5billion now, perhaps Torstein will be more responsive to customer wishes in the future.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

With his net worth going from $6+billion pre-covid to $1.5billion now, perhaps Torstein will be more responsive to customer wishes in the future.

I imagine having to shut down for a year had an impact on his pocket.

I just wanted to comment on the Posts about new routes.  I was on Celebrity and the captain was talking about all the planning time that goes into new and even altered routes.  It takes years of planning to 'create' a new route for a cruise ship, from start to sailing.   So there probably are new routes being 'planned', it's just a matter of time before you see them. 

5 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I just wanted to comment on the Posts about new routes.  I was on Celebrity and the captain was talking about all the planning time that goes into new and even altered routes.  It takes years of planning to 'create' a new route for a cruise ship, from start to sailing.   So there probably are new routes being 'planned', it's just a matter of time before you see them. 

The first Viking Ocean vessel, the Star, made its maiden voyage in 2015. Now we have itineraries in Scandanavia, United Kingdom, the Eastern & Western Mediterranean, Asia & Australia, North America, South America, the Caribbean, Antarctica, and of course, World Cruises. I think Viking has considerable experience in creating new routes! 

Part-way through the pandemic, they created new ways to cruise and new itineraries for that moment. On our last cruise, literally during the cruise they learned our expected final port of Fusina was to be closed for environmental studies.  Viking arranged a new final stop at Ravenna, re-routed existing excursions to Venice, created new excursions in Ravenna (with guides and buses) and arranged challenging transportation to Marco Polo airport for all departing passengers. Sometimes I think they are magicians!

I believe my particular wish for new ports in the Mediterranean will happen eventually, and I just hope we get a chance to see them.

• Like 3