Laundry

20 minutes ago, macknmissy said:

I am considering booking a back to back on Symphony of the Seas. What do you guys do for laundry with back to back cruises? 2 weeks total 

My wife is an over packer, which makes me one by default. We also have the CAS wash n fold perk we use (but usually not neded) for socks and underwear.

Royal, as far as I know, doesn't have a laundromat. So, pack a lot or you will have to pay for it to be done on the ship.  It ain't cheap though.  Unless you are top tier C & A and get X amounts of bags free or in Star Class where it's unlimited, you pay a premium for the laundry service.  

The good news:  I had a shirt, one that I really like, that had a stain on it, it was there for several months and several washings.  We tried just about everything available to remove it, including the "HACKS" you see on YouTube and TIKTOK.  I sent it to the ships laundry and they removed it completely.  We were amazed.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Royal, as far as I know, doesn't have a laundromat. So, pack a lot or you will have to pay for it to be done on the ship.  It ain't cheap though.  Unless you are top tier C & A and get X amounts of bags free or in Star Class where it's unlimited, you pay a premium for the laundry service.  

The good news:  I had a shirt, one that I really like, that had a stain on it, it was there for several months and several washings.  We tried just about everything available to remove it, including the "HACKS" you see on YouTube and TIKTOK.  I sent it to the ships laundry and they removed it completely.  We were amazed.  

Correct.  No Royal Caribbean ship has self-serve laundry.

But the goo in the shower (shampoo/conditioner/body wash) is a very good soap for doing laundry in the sink.  😄 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

But the goo in the shower (shampoo/conditioner/body wash) is a very good soap for doing laundry in the sink.  😄 

So true…I’ve done this plenty of times!

8 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

5 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

So true…I’ve done this plenty of times!

Yep, my wife does her unmentionables like that, in the shower.  I speed walk and sweat like no one's business.  I soak my sweaty cloths in the sink with the ship's supplied shampoo.  Hope that doesn't gross anyone out.  But, I clean the sink out when I'm done.  Well, it's not as bad as Airline Attendants cleaning their pantyhose in the hotel room coffee pot.  

• Haha 2

My shirts I wear in the evening I just hang up and wear again.  Two different color slacks and a couple of pairs of shorts work for the trip.  I send socks and underwear to the laundry every 5-6 days just depending on the length of the cruise.  When we did a bus tour for Oktoberfest we used these wash strips in the sink.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Travel-Pocket-laundry/dp/B002BO60JI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=24GHHMMWKSHKD&keywords=travel%2Bwash%2Bsheets&qid=1660705833&sprefix=travel%2Bwash%2B%2Caps%2C271&sr=8-5&th=1

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

22 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, my wife does her unmentionables like that, in the shower.  I speed walk and sweat like no one's business.  I soak my sweaty cloths in the sink with the ship's supplied shampoo.  Hope that doesn't gross anyone out.  But, I clean the sink out when I'm done.  Well, it's not as bad as Airline Attendants cleaning their pantyhose in the hotel room coffee pot.  

I'm also a walker. When I'm done walking I use the gym showers (at least the ships we've been on still have them) and wash my shorts (bathing suit/boardshorts no shirt) in the shower using the shampoo. Clip them to one of the chairs on the balcony and later that afternoon they are dry and ready for the next morning at 6:AM. 

• Like 1

I was just on a B2B on Harmony. I used Woolite in my sink. Our Woolite bottle got confiscated and sent to the naughty room on our last cruise, so I put it in a shampoo bottle this time. I was hoping that they would do the deal that I've heard about where you pay $25 or $30 for a bagful of laundry to get a proper cleaning of things like underwear, but it wasn't offered either week. The sink laundry worked out well. I'd say most things took about 2 days to dry by hanging in the closet. 

I had to do laundry on the first day on board because a bottle of aloe vera got damaged in my luggage, and I suddenly had green underwear. 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, UKWLDCruise said:

Remember that if you let them do any laundry it is washed and dried in industrial machines which are far hotter than domestic appliances.  

Yes, and very very hot water.  I wouldn't send my wife's delicates (lace and such) to the ships laundry.

We used the "boil and fry" free laundry bag...but only for things we could easily part with if necessary, like cotton undies, socks, etc.   

Hand wash light things (and never had a problem with packing my bottle of Woolite).   Drip dry in shower, hang on hook magnets I always have packed with me...from the cabin ceiling. 

20220326_090856.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

We used the "boil and fry" free laundry bag...but only for things we could easily part with if necessary, like cotton undies, socks, etc.   

Hand wash light things (and never had a problem with packing my bottle of Woolite).   Drip dry in shower, hang on hook magnets I always have packed with me...from the cabin ceiling. 

20220326_090856.jpg

Those hooks are a great idea.  I wish I'd found out about them sooner.  I don't have enough time to get them before sail.  Where did you purchase?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

20220326_090856.jpg

Hook magnets are worth their weight in gold.  There must be a thousand uses for them while cruising (for those looking to correct every word that everybody posts, "a thousand" and "weight in gold" is an exaggeration, for effect)!  When not in use on a cruise mine hold up my BBQ Grill utensils (on side of the grills metal body) and lawn care items.  I can't recommend the hooks enough.  Just so practical.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, moposh said:

Those hooks are a great idea.  I wish I'd found out about them sooner.  I don't have enough time to get them before sail.  Where did you purchase?

Amazon can get them to you, if Prime, in a couple days:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Refrigerator-Magnetic-Neodymium-Upgraded/dp/B07QSJ6Q72/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1533GK31SWYS8&keywords=magnetic+hooks&qid=1660740489&sprefix=magnetic+hooks%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-20

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, moposh said:

Amazon...I have quite the collection of them...plus many magnets and clip hooks for the wall for notes, invitations, hanging hats, etc.  

I am pretty sure I have seen them at hardware stores, and yes...even Walmart.  😉 

• Like 3

We pack enough outer clothes for the length of the cruise.  For evening wear, we bring enough for one and wear them twice.  DH can wear a pair of shorts a few times but I can't/don't.  We send in socks, underwear, t-shirts, bras in to be laundered (we each get a free bag on each cruise).  We did 20 nights in April on EN with two 30 inch suitcases and one 28 inch one.   We hand wash swimsuits and roll them in towels to squeeze out water and then they dry overnight while hung up inside.  A/C helps dry things quicker as it removes humidity from the air.

Edited by BND

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Your bro just turned 72 couple of weeks ago...he still does his morning walks for 45 minutes or more each day on the walking track.   🙂 

Happy belated birthday to Bucky. 🍻 As a matter of fact I just got back from my morning walk. I left at 6:00 AM and it was already 80 degrees. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Happy belated birthday to Bucky. 🍻 As a matter of fact I just got back from my morning walk. I left at 6:00 AM and it was already 80 degrees. 

Cold, windy, and raining up here in "Downeast" Maine right now.   But we really need the rain!  Had to cancel Lobster on the dock lunch today.  😮 

We did have some record heat a couple of weeks ago.  They are not prepared for mid 90s temps up here.  Luckily we have A/C here...but many do not.  

And to stay with the topic...have laundry going right now...best time to do it on a rainy day!  😄 

• Like 1

We will usually send in one of those bags with underwear, socks and a few light shirts once per week.  Typically on day 5.  It's $35 ($25 now that we are diamond.). which is about the same as what I would pay for an extra bag.  For my formal night attire I'll typically send in my white shirts to be laundered/pressed after the second formal night so they ready for round two.  Within the scope of the total cost of the cruise having them do a little laundry isn't that expensive and save a lot of hassle.  

These 22-pound magnets are cheap and aren't as heavy in your luggage (if you're flying and have weight limits):  https://www.amazon.com/MHDMAG-Refrigerator-Accessories-Neodymium-Refrigerators/dp/B07N57H5F6   They easily hold a wet garment on a hanger from the ceiling. I've been using them for years now.

When doing hand laundry, I let things drip in the shower, then I lay a towel on the floor and put the wet item on the towel, roll the whole thing up, and walk on it (holding onto the back of the vanity chair so I don't fall and break a hip!).  That forces the water out without stretching/wrinkling the fabric like wringing does.  Hang it up overnight and it's dry the next day.

• Like 2