Why did they stop giving you your S&S when you

ThaNectar

3 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

and then answer questions about said card. See the difference? 

i remember back in the day the worker had to give me a talk about how the card works like you use to get into your cabin, used this make purchases onboard the ship, blah, blah, blah. sometimes they know the meaning of the color cards and if they know you cruises before sometimes they skip the talk 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 12:03 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Reason #2 was to preserve the integrity of FTTF by preventing people who weren't FTTF, Platinum, or Diamond from going to their rooms before they time when they were officially ready.

This is why I think they stopped it. When they used to give you your card at check in, many people learned that Carnival was not willing to enforce the no access to your cabin until called. Lots of people just got onboard, walked past the sign and went right to their cabins and Carnival was trying to sell this benefit. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

The system as it now exists works very well. Having done many cruises before and after,  we can attest to that. Why there has been two threads in the past week implying otherwise seems fishy to me. Laid off shore staff maybe?.....😎

Must be people who shorted CCL hoping to sink the stock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

This system has been in place now for years (and as mentioned it is in place on other cruise lines as well) and if it weren't working Carnival would have changed it. It has made the check in process more efficient for the contracted staff in the port. It has cut down on the number of people trying to get into their cabin before they are ready. The passenger loses nothing in the process and enjoys less time at check in (and while each passenger may only save a couple of minutes if you have 100 people in front of you in line that couple of minutes per passenger adds up to get you through the line quicker as well). I can't say that no sail and sign card has ever been tampered with, but I have seen no reports of it on CC, so even with all of the doomsday scenarios that were rolled out when this was implemented have not come to pass. I believe that it is time to accept it as it is and move on to another topic. 

AMEN!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Say they have 20 cabins (or whatever number you want to make up) and all the envelopes are on their cart. As they finish each room and walk out, they place the envelope in the mailbox. Ten seconds per room. Or say they wait till all rooms are finished and make one sweeping pass down the hall placing envelopes in boxes. About 1-2 minutes total. Now compare that to the dockside scenario where each time a passenger steps up to check in, the worker needs to step away from their desk, walk a fair distance to the central location for cards, locate the correct ones and walk back, ensure the passenger is receiving the correct card, and then answer questions about said card. See the difference? And virtually two minutes added to the cabin attendants week.

Princess has you checkin by alphabet and the keys were literally ten feet away. It does little to slow you down at all. This is a big much a do about nothing

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, notplatinum said:

Princess has you checkin by alphabet and the keys were literally ten feet away. It does little to slow you down at all. This is a big much a do about nothing

On Princess, you select your arrival time via the Medallion app - nothing to do with alphabet.

Princess doesn't use keys. They use Medallions and you can have them mailed to you before the cruise if you like.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, notplatinum said:

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

On Princess, you select your arrival time via the Medallion app - nothing to do with alphabet.

Princess doesn't use keys. They use Medallions and you can have them mailed to you before the cruise if you like.

Not to mention, but this is NOT Princess.  This process works, why are we beating it up three or more years after it started???

• Like 4

6 hours ago, shof515 said:

i remember back in the day the worker had to give me a talk about how the card works like you use to get into your cabin, used this make purchases onboard the ship, blah, blah, blah. sometimes they know the meaning of the color cards and if they know you cruises before sometimes they skip the talk 

I'm not old enough to have used metal keys for cabin doors, but I remember back in the day when on the Holiday class you had a VingCard for your cabin door and S&S card for everything else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, asalligo said:

This is why I think they stopped it. When they used to give you your card at check in, many people learned that Carnival was not willing to enforce the no access to your cabin until called. Lots of people just got onboard, walked past the sign and went right to their cabins and Carnival was trying to sell this benefit. 

Still happens without keys. Hasn’t changed anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, notplatinum said:

Well, even if the later posts didn’t negate this argument, suppose there are 50 people ahead of you in line and it takes only one extra minute for each of them. Can you compute how long that would keep you in line unnecessarily? 

It works for Carnival. It works for me—and 98% of others- so end of discussion.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 10:03 AM, 1kaper said:

Sounds like an easy way to get a quick disembarkation before the trip even starts. And fraud charges. 

With all the cameras around it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who used the card unauthorized.  

A slight inconvenience for the victim but a lot of trouble for perpetrator.  I doubt you could get enough to really make it worth it. 

The ships don't have as many cameras as you think they do and there are many blind spots. 

I found this out the hard way when theft occurred in my room (unrelated to the card issue)

3 minutes ago, DrSea said:

The ships don't have as many cameras as you think they do and there are many blind spots. 

I found this out the hard way when theft occurred in my room (unrelated to the card issue)

I'm not sure I want cameras in my stateroom. 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Still happens without keys. Hasn’t changed anything. 

Not since they stopped selling FTTF with the restart and haven't publicized very much that Plats and Diamonds can drop their bags after boarding if their room isn't ready yet.

32 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Not since they stopped selling FTTF with the restart and haven't publicized very much that Plats and Diamonds can drop their bags after boarding if their room isn't ready yet.

Millions already know the dirty little secret 

Didn't early cabin availability and priority luggage start with FTTF and then become perks for P/D?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Didn't early cabin availability and priority luggage start with FTTF and then become perks for P/D?

Not based on the empty hallways when I dropped my bags on my last cruise.  The signs on the fire doors say rooms not available until 1:30 and don't mention any exceptions. Early access for P/D is an unspoken secret.

As I recall it was a P/D benefit first. Then they figured out how to monetize FTTF but kept early cabin access as a P/D benefit so it wouldn't look like they were taking it away from P/D just to make them pay for it like the unwashed masses.

3 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Not based on the empty hallways when I dropped my bags on my last cruise.  The signs on the fire doors say rooms not available until 1:30 and don't mention any exceptions. Early access for P/D is an unspoken secret.

The signs existed precovid.

3 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

As I recall it was a P/D benefit first. Then they figured out how to monetize FTTF but kept early cabin access as a P/D benefit so it wouldn't look like they were taking it away from P/D just to make them pay for it like the unwashed masses.

You may be correct. I know there were two perks FTTF received that migrated to P/D, though. I like having my perks subsidized by others 

Edited by BlerkOne

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

That is correct. P/D didn't get "official " early cabin availability and priority luggage until FTTF was introduced.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, notplatinum said:

This is a big much a do about nothing

And you are the one making it a big much a do about nothing. Carnival analyzed a practice, saw changes that could be made that would make the process more efficient, tested it and implemented it. That's what a good business does. They aren't changing it now because some people (who don't have the same amount of data available as the company) can't understand the change.

• Like 2

Honestly, anything that saves me time on the check in process is fine with me. I think as Carnival started building bigger and bigger ships they probably had to look at other cruise lines and see what they were doing and how they made check in efficient with that many people. I’m sure several tests and studies were done before they implemented it fleet-wide. But honestly, it may seem insignificant to have someone go grab your cards and come back but like stated above, even if it’s just 1 minute, multiply that 1 minute by every family in line and you’ve got a serious delay. 

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

That is correct. P/D didn't get "official " early cabin availability and priority luggage until FTTF was introduced.

P/D were going to their cabins early long before FTTF was introduced. As for officially being introduced. Priority Luggage is a joke these days.