Can you take food back to your cabin?

thermal

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Great choice,  but why not just order it medium rather than butterfly it ?

If they butterfly the filet they can then cook it medium rare and it's perfect. I can't take credit for the idea. I can't remember who it was but someone here on CC suggested I do that when I complained that the outside bit was perfect but the majority of the meat was mostly raw. It was such a simple fix and I hadn't even though of it. I've since used it in the local steak place with great results as well. It seems the way the filet is cut makes it pretty difficult for them to cook it properly but, when they butterfly it, it's then easy to do.

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If they butterfly the filet they can then cook it medium rare and it's perfect. I can't take credit for the idea. I can't remember who it was but someone here on CC suggested I do that when I complained that the outside bit was perfect but the majority of the meat was mostly raw. It was such a simple fix and I hadn't even though of it. I've since used it in the local steak place with great results as well. It seems the way the filet is cut makes it pretty difficult for them to cook it properly but, when they butterfly it, it's then easy to do.

Understood . I like my medium rare steak to be rare in the middle. 

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Good guess, but who carries a sharp kitchen knife on board so as to cut up a cold piece of meat ? 

You do realize there’s a kitchen on the ship.  Right ?     They usually wrap them up in a napkin.    Same one they give you to cut your roll.   
Come on.  Are you new to cruising. Lol. 

me personally I have a multi tool with a knife  I carry in my checked toiletry bag  

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Good guess, but who carries a sharp kitchen knife on board so as to cut up a cold piece of meat ? 

I have a large Swiss Army Knife that often travels in my Dopp kit. It goes in checked luggage so it's not a problem. I do agree that thin sliced cold beef on a roll can be a delight. I'm just too lazy to bother on a ship and I also lack the mayo, salt, and pepper I would put on it at home. I just order less so I can finish it all and then, if I want something later, there is always an abundance of food available.

Dang. It's almost time to go fix dinner. Tonight will be pork chops with crinkle cut french fries. Not only do I have to prep and cook the food there will be (ugh...) cleanup afterward. One of the joys of cruising is not making my own food and not having to clean up afterward.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

You do realize there’s a kitchen on the ship.  Right ?     They usually wrap them up in a napkin.    Same one they give you to cut your roll.   
Come on.  Are you new to cruising. Lol. 

me personally I have a multi tool with a knife  I carry in my checked toiletry bag  

So, the kitchen slices your beef up, you then keep themin your fridge for a while and then eat the dried up slices on a roll ?

Personally, I'm off to the buffet ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on a RCL Ship.  We had a specialty dining meal.  We each had the cheesecake, the pieces were HUGE ( 2x the size of Princess’s). I am sure the 4 of us had a whole cake.  After the meal, we could only each take a few bites of the cheesecake.  The waiter said “I can wrap them up for you”, our reply “when would we eat it when there is so much food offered”. 

Edited by phabric

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, the kitchen slices your beef up, you then keep themin your fridge for a while and then eat the dried up slices on a roll ?

Personally, I'm off to the buffet ! 

Wow. You really can’t read.  
Makes sense now.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Or your explanation  is  not clear. 

Still, if you want to throw abuse around,  carry on. 

What abuse. Lol.  
Here I’ll let you ready yours and my comments again.  

added some clarity for ya. Lol. 

You do realize there’s a kitchen on the ship.  Right ?     They usually wrap them (kitchen knife)up in a napkin(right next to the plates in the buffet).    Same one they give you to cut your roll.   

me personally I have a multi tool with a knife  I carry in my checked toiletry bag 

On 8/19/2022 at 5:03 PM, Purple Gallinule said:

Getting back to the original question, one thing to consider is the specialty restaurant policy. I am particularly speaking of Crown Grill. If you have any food at the end of your meal, they do NOT provide doggy bags, but WILL send the food to your stateroom. My wife will often only eat half of her steak and we send the rest to our room and put it in the refrigerator.

You will see people all over the ship carrying food. It may be from the burger bar, the buffet, the International Café, or any other venue. Just treat them the way you would like to be treated. Too many folks in the elevator? Wait for the next one.

Last month my daughter asked if she could bring her meal back to her cabin from the Crown Grill and was told "no".  There was no offer to send it to the cabin.

Okay,  talk about a thread going sideways!!!  Hahahaha!

Just a thought.  An actual sharp kitchen knife could be considered prohibited, like a weapon on a plane....  I know somebody who had a pocket style knife. (don't know the details, how big?) and had to leave it at embarkation and pick it back up after the cruise.  

Even the staff told him,  well, there are plenty of knives onboard,  but policy.

Anyhow, I know that people disagree, but I think that there are time and place for everything.  Open plates of food in a dining room (with possible spills, drops, drips, etc... to be expected.   In crowded indoor public areas, maybe not so much.   Cant be to hard to cover a plate.

We bring storage container plates with covers, and they might even be placed in a carry bag.  Makes is so much easier than trying to juggle plates of open food! 

4 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Okay,  talk about a thread going sideways!!!  Hahahaha!

Just a thought.  An actual sharp kitchen knife could be considered prohibited, like a weapon on a plane....  I know somebody who had a pocket style knife. (don't know the details, how big?) and had to leave it at embarkation and pick it back up after the cruise.  

Even the staff told him,  well, there are plenty of knives onboard,  but policy.

Anyhow, I know that people disagree, but I think that there are time and place for everything.  Open plates of food in a dining room (with possible spills, drops, drips, etc... to be expected.   In crowded indoor public areas, maybe not so much.   Cant be to hard to cover a plate.

We bring storage container plates with covers, and they might even be placed in a carry bag.  Makes is so much easier than trying to juggle plates of open food! 

I’ve taken my multi tool with me on a dozen or more cruises that has a knife.    
the ship is filled with knives and forks. Guess there not prohibit on the ship, just bringing them on. Lol

What now are we replacing all those with sporks and plastic knives ??   

there’s open plates all over ships.   From the pizza place.  From the hot dog place you name it.     What about all the ice cream all over the ship.   What about all the coffee and foods in the coffee shop that people walk around with.  If the ship was so worried about it.  Maybe the ship should supply some type of covers for those..huh what an idea.           

bringing food storage container seems like a lot of work.  I have 2 of them in my cabinets.  
But Now your cleaning dishes in you cabin bathroom sink.   YUCK.  Lolol 

1 hour ago, bjkTX said:

I just have to laugh that it takes 65 responses to answer a simple question on CC.  Ooops - make that 66!

Actually it was answered with the first post.    By me.   But that’s ok.    

29E96755-1E29-4156-A9B5-BF52BFE9CBA8.png

Edited by Ptroxx

58 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Actually it was answered with the first post.    By me.   But that’s ok.    

29E96755-1E29-4156-A9B5-BF52BFE9CBA8.png

But not really. I think it varies by ship and the venue you want to take the food from.

18 minutes ago, suzyed said:

But not really. I think it varies by ship and the venue you want to take the food from.

Actually.  Really.   They said.  Especially the pizza and the Buffett.   So yes it was answered.  Many times.  
and others commented on the specialty restaurant's and the mdr.   

Edited by Ptroxx