Shame on Princess - Covid Testing Requirements Clear as Mud!

cruiserdf

Does it have to be this difficult?  Do you need to be a Harvard lawyer to understand the Princess Covid testing requirements?  We are booked on the 9/2/2022 Enchanted Princess trans-Atlantic cruise for which there are specific Covid testing requirements for sailing from Southampton, UK.

The Princess "Health Protocols" page states for fully vaccinated 18 and above, "Self-administered Antigen OR medically assisted PCR within 3 days".  Also it is stated on the same "Health Protocols" section CruiseHealth FAQ: Sailings from the United Kingdom - Updated 13 August 2022, under the "Vaccination and Testing Requirements FAQ #2 - It states "..... Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. ....". 

So just for confirmation I sent Jan Swartz's office an email and received a phonemail response that stated the new changes don't take effect until 9/6, so for our sailing we absolutely WILL HAVE to show a negative Covid test.  This contradicts everything on the Princess "Health Protocols" page.  In fact, it would be after 9/6 they could make the argument the rules change you need the Covid test proof for a "trans-Ocean" cruise.  Also why are we now using "trans-Ocean" versus "trans-Atlantic".  I have never seen a cruse sold as "trans-Ocean".  

This is our 40th Princess cruise and I have never been as frustrated with trying to prepare for a cruise.  You shouldn't need a flow chart and a law degree to determine what the testing requirements are.  This is our 5th post Covid cruise and previously it was easy to just go to Walgreens two days before, get tested and be done with it.  I thought with the self test and "Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate," again it would be easy.  Not so when the Princess representative doesn't read their own rules.  Confusion at it's best!

Shame on Princess .... It doesn't need to be this difficult.  Never mind you can get Covid on your travels to the port after your negative test.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cruiserdf said:

Does it have to be this difficult?  Do you need to be a Harvard lawyer to understand the Princess Covid testing requirements?  We are booked on the 9/2/2022 Enchanted Princess trans-Atlantic cruise for which there are specific Covid testing requirements for sailing from Southampton, UK.

The Princess "Health Protocols" page states for fully vaccinated 18 and above, "Self-administered Antigen OR medically assisted PCR within 3 days".  Also it is stated on the same "Health Protocols" section CruiseHealth FAQ: Sailings from the United Kingdom - Updated 13 August 2022, under the "Vaccination and Testing Requirements FAQ #2 - It states "..... Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. ....". 

So just for confirmation I sent Jan Swartz's office an email and received a phonemail response that stated the new changes don't take effect until 9/6, so for our sailing we absolutely WILL HAVE to show a negative Covid test.  This contradicts everything on the Princess "Health Protocols" page.  In fact, it would be after 9/6 they could make the argument the rules change you need the Covid test proof for a "trans-Ocean" cruise.  Also why are we now using "trans-Ocean" versus "trans-Atlantic".  I have never seen a cruse sold as "trans-Ocean".  

This is our 40th Princess cruise and I have never been as frustrated with trying to prepare for a cruise.  You shouldn't need a flow chart and a law degree to determine what the testing requirements are.  This is our 5th post Covid cruise and previously it was easy to just go to Walgreens two days before, get tested and be done with it.  I thought with the self test and "Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate," again it would be easy.  Not so when the Princess representative doesn't read their own rules.  Confusion at it's best!

Shame on Princess .... It doesn't need to be this difficult.  Never mind you can get Covid on your travels to the port after your negative test.

Have you posted this on the roll call page? If not you should.

Thanks for the suggestion ...... There is plenty of "opinions" and confusion on this on the roll call page.  That is why I emailed Jan Swartz's office.  Princess could simply email everyone on that specific cruise and state in plain terms the requirements. 

• Like 2

If it helps, we sailed from Southampton on Emerald Princess Aug 13.  All we had to do was attest that we had taken a test within the past 3 days and that it was negative, as well as show proof of vaccination.  Our friends who boarded also experienced the same.  

I agree the wording pertaining to voyages beyond Sep 6 is confusing.  We will also be on the Enchanted crossing, and we are very glad we leave before the 6th! 🙂 

• Like 1

High C's, thanks for your reply.

Since you have first hand experience at Southampton, I think I am going to go with your input.  Pending my wife agreeing of course.  We will take the home test we have from the gov't and attest that we had taken it within the past 3 days and that it was negative, as well as show proof of vaccination and boosters.  Should work ........ I hope.  Was boarding in Southampton pretty straight forward? 

2 hours ago, cruiserdf said:

In fact, it would be after 9/6 they could make the argument the rules change you need the Covid test proof for a "trans-Ocean" cruise.  Also why are we now using "trans-Ocean" versus "trans-Atlantic".  I have never seen a cruse sold as "trans-Ocean".  

Because Princess offers TransPacific cruises as well as Transatlantic. I though the protocol on Trans Ocean cruises was quite clear - you need a proctored covid test regardless of sail date. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, cruiserdf said:

High C's, thanks for your reply.

Since you have first hand experience at Southampton, I think I am going to go with your input.  Pending my wife agreeing of course.  We will take the home test we have from the gov't and attest that we had taken it within the past 3 days and that it was negative, as well as show proof of vaccination and boosters.  Should work ........ I hope.  Was boarding in Southampton pretty straight forward? 

see first two paragraphs

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-southampton-cruises/

How are we to know if we're on one of the "other special itineraries"?

I don't really trust that we'd be contacted by an Ocean Navigator. Princess' track record isn't very good for something like this.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Alcairns said:

Because Princess offers TransPacific cruises as well as Transatlantic. I though the protocol on Trans Ocean cruises was quite clear - you need a proctored covid test regardless of sail date. 

Alcairns, can you direct me to where it states a a proctored covid test is required for a trans-Atlantic cruise from Southampton on 9/2/ 2022 when it is stated on the Princess "Health Protocols" section CruiseHealth FAQ: Sailings from the United Kingdom - Updated 13 August 2022, under the "Vaccination and Testing Requirements FAQ #2 - It states "..... Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. ....".?

Also is a Hawaii RT cruise from the west coast considered a TransPacific cruise?

On September 6th, we should see a total change to the FAQ's for all cruises, as all the current protocols will no longer be in effect.  Unfortunately, for those sailing prior to Sept 6th still need to filter through all of the confusion.

😬😬😬

Edited by LACruiser88

26 minutes ago, cruiserdf said:

Alcairns, can you direct me to where it states a a proctored covid test is required for a trans-Atlantic cruise from Southampton on 9/2/ 2022 when it is stated on the Princess "Health Protocols" section CruiseHealth FAQ: Sailings from the United Kingdom - Updated 13 August 2022, under the "Vaccination and Testing Requirements FAQ #2 - It states "..... Guests no longer need to provide a test certificate, however they will be asked to confirm that the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. ....".?

Also is a Hawaii RT cruise from the west coast considered a TransPacific cruise?

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-southampton-cruises/

03FECFF3-78DE-443F-BCC1-649CDE59C0AA.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, High C's said:

If it helps, we sailed from Southampton on Emerald Princess Aug 13.  All we had to do was attest that we had taken a test within the past 3 days and that it was negative, as well as show proof of vaccination.  Our friends who boarded also experienced the same.  

I agree the wording pertaining to voyages beyond Sep 6 is confusing.  We will also be on the Enchanted crossing, and we are very glad we leave before the 6th! 🙂 

High C,

I received another call today from the Princess Rep as a followup to her phonemail from yesterday.  She stated her answer yesterday was incorrect and the requirement is exactly as you experienced for your Emerald Princess sailing on 8/13 ... So all we have to do is attest that we had taken a test within the past 3 days and that it was negative, as well as show proof of vaccination.  All our booked cruises after 9/6 are 14 or 15 days non-trans-Atlantic or trans-Ocean until end of next year.  Hopefully the testing gets dropped by then.  Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alcairns said:

Alcairns,

Unfortunately what you are referencing here does not pertain to sailings from Southampton, UK prior to 9/6.  I did receive a followup call today from Princess correcting their phonemail message from yesterday.  They confirmed the information as written on the website for Southampton, UK sailings prior to 9/6 is correct.

Yes, clear as mud and don't bother asking Princess:

Website -> not needed, attest only

Chat -> added ArriveCAN.  I don't go anywhere near Canada

CVP -> medically assisted test needed as it's a TA

HOWEVER, on the other thread ppl post that they've received emailed confirmation that it attest only as well as not being asked at port. Seems to be received about a week before boarding.  Awaiting an email as I fly out Aug 30 to board Sept 2. I can test Aug 30th & still be within 3 calendar days. So yeah, confused. Awaiting emailed confirmation 

13 hours ago, cruiserdf said:

It seems you may be getting hung up on the protocols that take effect on Sept 6.  IF your cruise is Sept 2, those don't apply. 

If you look at the "Vaccination & Test Requirement by Region" link, you will see the following heading with a pretty easy to follow outline of requirements.  Instead of relying on my copy/paste I suggest you go to the actual link.   Hope this helps. 

Voyages Departing from the United Kingdom (through Sept. 5, 2022)

Vaccination Status

Definition by Country's Health Authority

Pre-Travel Test Type & 
When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated
18 and above

At least 14 days past completion of a primary vaccine series and no more than 270 days (9 months) from the date of disembarkation since receiving the last dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. A booster dose is required for guests 18 and older if the last COVID-19 vaccine dose in series is older than 9 months (270 days) from the date of disembarkation.

Self-administered Antigen OR medically assisted PCR within 3 days

Fully Vaccinated
5 to 17

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation.

Self-administered Antigen OR medically assisted PCR within 3 days

Not Fully Vaccinated*

Either not up to date or has not received a complete COVID-19 vaccine series. Please contact us to request a vaccination exemption to be presented upon embarkation.

Medically assisted PCR within 3 days

Medically assisted PCR within 3 days

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, cruiserdf said:

Alcairns,

Unfortunately what you are referencing here does not pertain to sailings from Southampton, UK prior to 9/6.  I did receive a followup call today from Princess correcting their phonemail message from yesterday.  They confirmed the information as written on the website for Southampton, UK sailings prior to 9/6 is correct.

My apologies! It does seem nonsensical that for a few weeks there will be no proctored testing then after the 6th it is back to proctored testing for transocean voyages.

14 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Maybe the folks who sell fake service animal certificates can provide a covid test certificate as well.

Cruiserdf doesn’t need one. Those of us sailing before 6th Sept from the U.K. just need to say they are negative when asked at boarding, according to the ‘current’ rules.

10 hours ago, Alcairns said:

My apologies! It does seem nonsensical that for a few weeks there will be no proctored testing then after the 6th it is back to proctored testing for transocean voyages.

Alcairns, no apologies necessary ....... and I agree that "currently" it appears the requirement may change to proctored testing for transocean / trans-Atlantic / trans-Pacific etc. voyages after 9/6.  Although since Southampton has been a "one-off" for some time on the testing rules, who knows what the future holds.  Or, as I use to tell employees to strap in because this could be worse than Dinsey's  Mr. Toads wild ride.  I look at my crystal ball every morning, but the poor thing is so foggy and cracked, it really is no longer reliable.  Regardless of the testing ... enjoy your cruise life!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, palolake said:

What does it mean to be contacted directly by an Ocean Navigator?

In my case, I received an email today (14 days before boarding) that spelled it out in clear concise wording. Printed off the email and stick it in my carryon