Returning to USA after Montreal cruise.

vacation 2011

We were there in July.  We stayed at the Hotel St Sulpice which is walking distance to the port and all of the old town attractions.   The arts district is also a good area to stay in with easy access to art museums and China town.  

we used the hop on one morning to orient ourselves and I would recommend doing so.

I did not see care rental near the port but contact the agencies and see if they will deliver one to you.  I assume most car rental is done at the airport 

I have driven that route numerous times in the past - easy peasy

Edited by Mary229

Several car rental companies (at least in the U.S.) will come to pick you up.  Call the different companies you have an interest in and find out if pick-up at the port is available.  Alternatively, see if you can book a hotel in Montreal which will have a cruise port pick up and arrange for the car from the hotel.  You should be able to find out which Montreal hotels might have pick up at the port on this Cruise Critic forum:  East Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Community

Just start a new thread there.

Finding a decent price on a one-way International rental car is a real challenge!   You might want to consider taking the daily direct train (it leaves Montreal at 8am) to Boston.   There are also air options although many prefer to avoid airlines these days.

Hank

• Like 1

Just checked Amtrak.    www.amtrak.com 

The Adirondack (New York to Montreal) has still not re-started.

Never have I seen a Boston to Montreal run. 

(One would think with all the funding Amtrak just got and the fact that it is in their preferred area of the country, they would get going with that route again)

WOW!  I just assumed train service had been restored.  I imagine all the COVID entry restrictions, ArriveCAN fiasco, and all that is COVID are not helping our wonderful North American train service :).  I guess there is always Greyhound.

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

WOW!  I just assumed train service had been restored. 

Agree.  Not understanding after their billions in tax money Amtrak received.

Here in the South where it is one train a day, they are running them only 5 days a week (Crescent) or not at all (Silver Meteor).  LOL.  And blaming the virus.  LOL.  Something is not adding up. 

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

WOW!  I just assumed train service had been restored.  I imagine all the COVID entry restrictions, ArriveCAN fiasco, and all that is COVID are not helping our wonderful North American train service :).  I guess there is always Greyhound.

Hank

Your guess would be wrong.  Greyhound closed in Canada over a year ago.  https://news.greyhound.ca/

Edited by boulders
  • Haha 2

Greyhound is still selling tickets for Montreal to Boston travel, 8:00 AM to 4:40 PM, stops in Burlington and White River. Stay on the ship, vacation 2011. Zaandam would have you back in Boston in week.

• Like 1

This from Greyhound Canada:

Greyhound Lines, Inc. (USA) will continue to operate cross-border express services on the following routes when the border reopens:

Toronto to New York - Toronto to Buffalo - Montreal to New York - Montreal to Boston - Vancouver to Seattle

Greyhound Lines, Inc. (USA) is a separate entity from Greyhound Canada. This announcement has no impact on Greyhound Lines’ operations within the United States.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

If you do wish to rent a car it appears to be possible but you would want to start the process early.  An Expedia test search indicated a price of $300 to $400 per day with Avis.

Roy

That’s not bad considering one can easily get from Montreal, with stops, in a single day.   I don’t know when they are traveling but rates may decrease after Labor Day.  BRW, is that CAD or USD?