Tote bags

Traveller94

Hi Oceania Cruisers. We’re on our first cruise with Oceania and I didn’t bring a tote bag because we’ve always gotten a canvas(ish) type of bag of varying quality on other lines and I saw that listed as an Oceania amenity with a picture of a canvas bag on Oceania’s website or brochure. We are serval days in to our cruise in a Penthouse and still don’t have a bag, so I asked our stateroom attendant for one today. He told me he would ask his supervisor for permission. He later came back and handed my husband a bag that seems to be made out of a bathrobe. It was very kind of him, but I’m just looking for the regular canvas bag from the Oceania marketing materials to take on shore, to the pool, etc. What am I missing? Did they get rid of them? Am I not qualified to get one despite them being list as one of our cabin amenities? What is the robe bag thing? I don’t want to keep bugging the attendant if they don’t exist or I shouldn’t get one, but I would like one if it’s a regular, easy thing. That’s for your input!

On Riviera in February, we asked our butler about the lack of a tote bag in the suite. He told us there was a supply issue, but he would see if he could find us one. We had one later that day. Wonder if there's still a supply issue, and they only give them out upon request?

• Like 1

The “bathrobe” tote bag was given in the cabanas (when O had cabanas😢). The bag was filled with O swag, beach towels, hats, visors and sun products. 

They were also given (pre Covid, not sure about now) to the upper suites filled with the same goodies and often placed on lounges on the balcony. 

5 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

On Riviera 12/13-23/21 Concierge A4 we received the :

• Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag

The tote bag was for A4 and up. So not given to B1 thru G.

The OP is in a PH  does that count 🤔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

The OP is in a PH  does that count 🤔

PH would indeed be "A4 and up", on Riviera, as opposed to B1 thru G. The dividing line is the "lowest" A gets one and the "highest" B does not.

• Haha 1

On our cruise on Marina in May-June, we didn't receive one either (we were in a PH). I asked our butler, and he said they were unavailable because of a supply issue.

• Thanks 1

We were on Sirena in an A3 stateroom last month.  We did not receive a tote bag and when we questioned our room steward, we were told that due to supply line problems we would not get one.  We are disappointed with Oceania management that 1) we did not receive the package that we paid for 2) we had to ask the room steward for an explanation 3) Oceania management has not considered that we, the customer, are not worthy of an explanation or any attempt to make some other accommodation.  

To me the tote bag is no big deal, but I don’t expect to be short changed by anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shank63 said:

We were on Sirena in an A3 stateroom last month.  We did not receive a tote bag and when we questioned our room steward, we were told that due to supply line problems we would not get one.  We are disappointed with Oceania management that 1) we did not receive the package that we paid for 2) we had to ask the room steward for an explanation 3) Oceania management has not considered that we, the customer, are not worthy of an explanation or any attempt to make some other accommodation.  

To me the tote bag is no big deal, but I don’t expect to be short changed by anyone.

Edited by HilsTas

I knew cruise critic could help! Thank you for solving the mystery of the missing tote bag (and strange bathrobe bag!) It is a bit disappointing that the website still lists them if they know they don’t have them. I understand the brochures, but the website is an easy fix and then I would have brought one. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Currently on the Riviera.  No totes bag a3. Don't see anyone carrying on.

Carrying on - as in making a fuss 😡

OR

Carrying one - as in having one in their possession   😀

• Haha 8

On Regatta in April (PH) we did get one.  It was nice to have onboard but I do wonder what I'm supposed to do with the mountain of Princess, Marriott Timeshare, Celebrity, etc, etc, etc tote bags occupying a corner of my closet.  

Realizing they may have become scarce, and not wishing to further add to my pile, I placed our April bag into our luggage this morning.  It's perfectly serviceable as is of reasonable quality (let's be real here it's nothing I'd spend actual money to purchase) and suffered very minor wear only around the ship and a couple shore excursions over the course of 18 days.

Perhaps a better solution would be stock the bags at a nominal price of say $5.00 in the gift shop and offer guests a $5.00 gift shop credit to be spent as they like (I'm guessing the bags cost for less than this in volume).  It would be a win / win.  Guests who actually want the tote would get it for "free", guests who prefer something else could spend it on regular priced trinkets or bobbles. 

• Like 3

We were recently on Sirena and also expected tote bags, based on it being listed as an amenity in our personalized materials sent to us after payment.  I asked at Reception and two different people there said they didn't give away tote bags.  When I shared more details about the amenities list they said they didn't know anything about tote bags.  After further discussion, they told me to talk with the Future Cruise Consultant.  The FCC told me to talk with Reception because they handle the "regular tote bags".  The FCC did share that "loyalty bags" are given when one reaches different levels based on number of cruises taken.  Guess we get "loyalty bags" when we hit our 10th cruise.  #8 is this Fall.  We don't use the tote bags while in ports because we don't like to advertise that we are tourists.  All of our cruise line bags have come in handy at home for a variety of reasons though. 😉        

I think some O staff need to read the brochures  LOL

Oceania need to update their online perks if they are out of stock or no longer going to supply them  to A cabins & above

That said  we take our own bag as I like the compartments mine has

I always leave the one in the closet  ..I did give one to a person on one of our tours as she forgot to pack  one  & was in a B cabin

• Like 1

I did ask the concierge tonight. He told me Oceania was out of tote bags and pens fleet wide because of supply chain issues. He said it was a problem for all cruise lines, not just Oceania. He didn’t indicate it would be corrected any time soon.

So, pack a tote bag and pen, just in case.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jondfk said:

On Regatta in April (PH) we did get one.  It was nice to have onboard but I do wonder what I'm supposed to do with the mountain of Princess, Marriott Timeshare, Celebrity, etc, etc, etc tote bags occupying a corner of my closet.  

Realizing they may have become scarce, and not wishing to further add to my pile, I placed our April bag into our luggage this morning.  It's perfectly serviceable as is of reasonable quality (let's be real here it's nothing I'd spend actual money to purchase) and suffered very minor wear only around the ship and a couple shore excursions over the course of 18 days.

Perhaps a better solution would be stock the bags at a nominal price of say $5.00 in the gift shop and offer guests a $5.00 gift shop credit to be spent as they like (I'm guessing the bags cost for less than this in volume).  It would be a win / win.  Guests who actually want the tote would get it for "free", guests who prefer something else could spend it on regular priced trinkets or bobbles. 

I'm with you, we have a ton of these, and in addition to that my wife was in Education Administration so she attended many conventions and seminars with SWAG, chief among them the tote bag. Over the last 10 years or so anytime I've had a garage sale I put them out in a box for free, still haven't got rid of them all. Kept the best though. I guess I better throw one or two in the luggage for Sept. 

• Haha 3

I just looked on Oceania's website and it looks like they have removed references to the tote and replaced with "variety of amenities" at least on our cruise in a PH. We have accumulated quite a few totes, so we can bring. And will now also pack some pens for our October trip - or grad some from teh pre-cruise hotel. That is definitely good to know! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, SombraDeLuna said:

...Guess we get "loyalty bags" when we hit our 10th cruise.  #8 is this Fall. ...    

FYI we just got off our 10th cruise last week. The loyalty bags and caps appeared in our cabin on day 8 or so of our 10 day cruise. Assuming this is typical timing, the loyalty bags are more handy for 'future use' than the anniversary cruise itself. Also ours are messenger-style bags (not totes).