Haven Dinner Question

TampaGambler

17 minutes ago, Lunesse said:

I have not been on NCL yet, but I can think of two situations. People who want to cruise but are trying to lessen their Covid chances by eating in the same place with the same folks as much as they can, which the Haven would allow for, right? Or, mobility issues, if that is part of why they are in Haven, to have a smaller radius of where they need to get to, and how.  Or both. The layout certainly seems to make it a bigger logistics thing on NCL than other lines, but if other lines do it, maybe there's just an expectation of it being possible?  

You'd need to read this entire thread to catch Graphic Guy's drift. I've gone back and forth (in this thread) on going to the restaurants vs. having it brought to the Haven....well I should say it being acceptable to eat a MDR or specialty restaurant meal in the Haven Restaurant. 

Your concerns that you bring up are two really valid reasons, however I'd also suggest those individuals could eat in their room. The butler would set everything up and no one would disagree that, that is a Haven perk (unless they're clueless to the Haven). 

Will I be among those that ask for a completely different dish be brought to the Haven Restaurant from another restaurant? No. Will I ask for the slight alterations - an extra lobster tail, more shrimp than normally served, ask the Haven Restaurant to serve me crab cakes in the morning, instead of at night? Yes, I will definitely be doing that. 

@graphicguy, when we eat at Shanghai it'll be either a butler bringing me the meal to my room (last cruise it was a two hour line) or we'll go to the MDR for that aforementioned chicken cordon bleu. I'm not going to ask it to be served in the Haven Restaurant. I just don't think it's a big deal if someone wants a different item - there have been plenty of reasons thrown out here as to why it is. IF someone pre-arranges it (morning for dinner, night before for breakfast, night before for lunch), then I don't see the big deal.

I suppose I see the variety idea which is why my husband does want to eat in other restaurants...surprising, because I'm normally the one who wants variety. I just figure if I'm on a ship, my meals are already included. Why on earth would I purchase additional meals? I would do what you're doing with the AMEX and those loyalty perks from NCL. Someday I'll be a fancy Platinum too! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Exactly.  It is indeed a “big deal” for a server to go from deck 16 (where the Haven Restaurant is) to the Specialty Restaurants or MDRs on deck 6 or 7 (this was on Getaway).  Obviously, the Haven does not share a kitchen or prep area with any of the other dining areas.

Just imagine how that would work if you requested something from the MDR in the Haven.  REquest made.  HAven kitchen calls MDR or Specialty Restaurant to place the order.  Haven Waitstaff goes 9 or 10 decks down to pick it up (whenever it’s ready), brings it 9 or 10 decks up to the HAven restaurant to serve you.  That’s the definition of precocious.

You better be bringing not one or two, but a fist full of Benjamins to the Haven wait staff if they accommodates your request.

Or, you can just go to the MDR to dine and get what you want.

Which makes more sense?

Again, if you want something from the MDR, why not go to the MDR to dine?

See post #86.  The wait staff are not the ones doing this.  

14 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Just possible I might not use all my Specialty Dining dinners this trip, but it will be worth it😊

We actually left our Cucina/Moderno voucher "on the table", electing to eat in the Haven instead. We used our one Free at Sea specialty dining credit at Wasabi for a sea day sushi lunch. We had lunch in the Haven on embarkation day, but stopped at the American Diner close to closing to get a shake and take-out lobster/shrimp roll for sailaway. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 8:05 AM, pcakes122 said:

As far as the employees that work in the Haven, I have been told multiple times by  crew members that working in the Haven is a "status" job on the ship and those positions are highly-desired (perhaps because they see it as an opportunity for better tips?)  So nobody is really forced to work in the Haven against their will, and special requests are, again, to be expected in the Haven.

THIS

a thousand times THIS.

i've said this in other threads, but hospitality jobs such as these, particularly within the filipino community (who comprise a major percentage of the haven workforce), are indeed status jobs... not just on the ship, but within their families and the broader community. this is why @cruiseny4life got unsolicited pretzel rolls and why haven staff will generally fetch you whatever you want and deliver wherever you want. not because you're overbearing and insistent, but because they consider it a great honor to do so. hospitality and customer service is in their blood and they would feel like they had not performed their jobs properly if they didn't fulfill a reasonable request.

NCL has (apparently) empowered and encouraged them to do so at every turn, and NCL has presumably defined "reasonable requests" during haven training... which is why other guests should not get their knickers in a twist when somebody asks for something special. if the staff can't do it, they will tell them so and usually apologize profusely. (if it truly affects service negatively for other guests, that is NCL's problem, as has been pointed out by others.)

On 8/24/2022 at 10:18 AM, graphicguy said:

I just don't understand this need or want to order something from a restaurant in a different part of the ship and eat it in the Haven?  How does this make the dining experience better than going to the MDR to get what you want?

somebody is a vegetarian who really enjoys the indian food at the buffet, while wanting to eat with their haven traveling companions. they paid for haven accommodations and benefits and they want to enjoy the ambiance of the haven restaurant... with their friends and their partner.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:40 PM, graphicguy said:

them's fightin' words! 😀

i would say if it's used interchangeably, it's being used incorrectly.

it has indeed fallen into popular usage, which is different than saying it's correct or should be tolerated. there are lots of things that have fallen into common usage that are incorrect. people frequently say they want a "couple books" or a "couple oranges" or whatnot... they drop the preposition. that's wrong, but it's commonly accepted. what they really want is a "couple of books" or a "couple of oranges."

so, if one doesn't care about the destruction of the english language, chomp away.

of course,  there's a difference between communication and speaking the king's english. more people might actually understand "chomping at the bit" because most people have never heard of "champ" as a verb.

this is one of those things, like the oxford comma and specialty restaurant meals delivered to the haven, about which people will continue to disagree. but the derivation of the phrase "champing at the bit" does provide a very big clue as to which came first, chomp or champ, and which is "correct." horses don't typically chomp... they champ. that's a specific word for what horses sometimes do with their bit. that's where the expression comes from.

but if there's anything i've learned in this thread, it's that just because somebody else does something that's frowned upon, doesn't mean that you have to, too. if that principle applies to specialty meals, it certainly can apply to specialty words.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 12:58 PM, Sand and Seas said:

We will be eating in Specialty restaurants also and usually are too full to enjoy dessert right after dinner.

I believe I've read here on CC that it's not unusual to ask for your dessert to be sent to your room?   I'm in 'the don't want to make a big fuss category, but if the Specialty restaurant can ask the night butler to deliver our desserts to our room for an after show late night treat we would love it.   Or, we could ask for a late night dessert from the Haven placed in room.   What would you suggest?

(We are about to have our 2nd Haven cruise of about 40 NCL cruises.  Didn't use the Butler at all on that first cruise and that was fine with us.  After this 2nd Haven we will happily be back to our regular cruising.)

We started the habit of having the butler pick up our dessert from the restaurant and deliver it. It was a wonderful treat to have later in the evening and nobody batted an eye. Just tell your dinner server what you want and ask to have it delivered to your room. They will handle calling your butler. I used to be very shy about asking for things, but our last cruise was in the garden villa. With the staff’s encouragement, we got over that shyness REAL quick!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just imagine how that would work if you requested something from the MDR in the Haven.  REquest made.  HAven kitchen calls MDR or Specialty Restaurant to place the order.  Haven Waitstaff goes 9 or 10 decks down to pick it up (whenever it’s ready), brings it 9 or 10 decks up to the HAven restaurant to serve you.  That’s the definition of precocious.

You forgot to add that they have to press the elevator button (or are they actually running up and down 9 or 10 flights of stairs in your scenario?)

I reiterate my point made earlier that I hope people who feel the way you do understand that the same thing happens when you order room service.🤦‍♀️

14 hours ago, Lunesse said:

I have not been on NCL yet, but I can think of two situations. People who want to cruise but are trying to lessen their Covid chances by eating in the same place with the same folks as much as they can, which the Haven would allow for, right? Or, mobility issues, if that is part of why they are in Haven, to have a smaller radius of where they need to get to, and how.  Or both. The layout certainly seems to make it a bigger logistics thing on NCL than other lines, but if other lines do it, maybe there's just an expectation of it being possible?  

That's exactly our situation.  We will have 4 specialty dinners due to FASUP.  We'll try having one in the Haven restaurant with a day's advance notice and see how it goes.  There's always in-suite dining of course.

Stop the non sense.  Haven prices are incredibly high and you should have some leeway on service.

The day NCL stops having a butler serving cabins deck 12 forward and deck 9 aft on Dawn Class ships or deck 16 forward on BA Class ships and deck 10 aft because of where the pantry is will be the day it is not ok to request something special on a seven day jaunt of gluttonous adventure for thousands of dollars, for your convenience, of course.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Lunesse said:

I see where you’re coming from.  The flip side of that, the Haven Restaurants are smaller, and would be more difficult to maneuver if you are using some sort of walker or scooter to get around.  I would suggest a better solution to be to have your meals served in your cabin in those scenarios.  It’s offered by your Butler and that would eliminate the limited mobility issues.

That also begs the question, why cruise on a huge ship if you can’t navigate it given limited mobility? That’s an entirely different topic, though

8 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

You forgot to add that they have to press the elevator button (or are they actually running up and down 9 or 10 flights of stairs in your scenario?)

I reiterate my point made earlier that I hope people who feel the way you do understand that the same thing happens when you order room service.🤦‍♀️

I see what you’re saying.  Still, you’re talking about serving from a kitchen that’s 20 feet away from the Haven Restaurant vs serving from one that is 10 decks away.

Again, if you want something from the MDR menu, it’s infinitely easier to just dine in the MDR, or as I suggested earlier, get your Butler to serve your meal in your cabin.  That way, you can order your meal(s) in advance and have your Butler able to fetch it and bring it.  That way, you’re not turning the Haven wait and kitchen staff topsy turvy.

Edited by graphicguy

Boy…do I really want to go down this road of comparing the words or phrases using “chomp” or “champ”?  Tempted, but no!  LOL!

Interesting stating that Haven jobs are desirable.  I thought so, too.  I surmised the same reasons as everyone else.  Better tips, more “prestigious”, etc.

That is, until I talked to a bartender at Syd Norman’s on my last Haven (Getaway) cruise last month.

He opted out of being a bartender in the Haven.  True, he was quite good.  But, he said he made more tips at Syd Normans because he served way more guests.  Plus, since he worked the outside bar, he had a much better attitude and view during his work shifts, putting him in a much better mood.

Interesting take.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You'd need to read this entire thread to catch Graphic Guy's drift. I've gone back and forth (in this thread) on going to the restaurants vs. having it brought to the Haven....well I should say it being acceptable to eat a MDR or specialty restaurant meal in the Haven Restaurant. 

Your concerns that you bring up are two really valid reasons, however I'd also suggest those individuals could eat in their room. The butler would set everything up and no one would disagree that, that is a Haven perk (unless they're clueless to the Haven). 

Will I be among those that ask for a completely different dish be brought to the Haven Restaurant from another restaurant? No. Will I ask for the slight alterations - an extra lobster tail, more shrimp than normally served, ask the Haven Restaurant to serve me crab cakes in the morning, instead of at night? Yes, I will definitely be doing that. 

@graphicguy, when we eat at Shanghai it'll be either a butler bringing me the meal to my room (last cruise it was a two hour line) or we'll go to the MDR for that aforementioned chicken cordon bleu. I'm not going to ask it to be served in the Haven Restaurant. I just don't think it's a big deal if someone wants a different item - there have been plenty of reasons thrown out here as to why it is. IF someone pre-arranges it (morning for dinner, night before for breakfast, night before for lunch), then I don't see the big deal.

I suppose I see the variety idea which is why my husband does want to eat in other restaurants...surprising, because I'm normally the one who wants variety. I just figure if I'm on a ship, my meals are already included. Why on earth would I purchase additional meals? I would do what you're doing with the AMEX and those loyalty perks from NCL. Someday I'll be a fancy Platinum too! 

Different people and their different opinions are what make these threads interesting.  Or, did I really mean infuriating?  (J/K)!

I’m “chomping” at the bit to respond to some threads, but I try to pick my battles.  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, UKstages said:

so, if one doesn't care about the destruction of the english language, chomp away.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Boy…do I really want to go down this road of comparing the words or phrases using “chomp” or “champ”?  Tempted, but no!  LOL!

It could of been fun. 😈

"Could of" vs. "could've" is always fun on a forum.

Since it's Cruise Critic, let's do "boat" vs. "ship". 

Since it's NCL, let's do "tip" vs. "gratuity" vs "service charge". 

We've already done "pants" vs. "shorts" vs. "long pants" vs. "short pants" vs. "trousers" vs. "sweatpants" vs. "yoga pants". 

How about "Free at sea" vs. "Fee at sea"? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Different people and their different opinions are what make these threads interesting.  Or, did I really mean infuriating?  (J/K)!

I’m “chomping” at the bit to respond to some threads, but I try to pick my battles.  

LOL!  There are many times I start to type a response in a thread, think to myself "Just because I CAN respond doesn't mean I SHOULD respond", and close the window.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, The Shrike said:

LOL!  There are many times I start to type a response in a thread, think to myself "Just because I CAN respond doesn't mean I SHOULD respond", and close the window.

Oh man…..ain’t that the truth!!!!!!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to state that I did not order food from outside the Haven in the Haven Restaurant on my trip that ended yesterday! We did make a few customizations based on what was on the Haven menu and made some special requests the day prior to a meal so we could have some yummy crab cake Eggs Benedict and a filet with our steak and eggs. I did find the morning serving of crab cake smaller than the evening portion, but with the same proportion of crab to breading (it was like 95% crab)!!! 

The only curveball (apparently) is when I ordered Swiss Cheese for my burger. After eating the restaurant manager, the lovely Dusan, apologized for the wait as they had to go "downstairs" to get Swiss Cheese. The server never told me that was the delay, just that the food was being prepared. Had I known, I would just selected a different cheese. Needless to say, I felt a bit bad after being told someone had to go in search of my Swiss....but, it appeared everyone else's meals came out with no delay due to my extreme (unknown) request. 

Happy Haven'ing everyone!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Coming back to state that I did not order food from outside the Haven in the Haven Restaurant on my trip that ended yesterday! We did make a few customizations based on what was on the Haven menu and made some special requests the day prior to a meal so we could have some yummy crab cake Eggs Benedict and a filet with our steak and eggs. I did find the morning serving of crab cake smaller than the evening portion, but with the same proportion of crab to breading (it was like 95% crab)!!! 

The only curveball (apparently) is when I ordered Swiss Cheese for my burger. After eating the restaurant manager, the lovely Dusan, apologized for the wait as they had to go "downstairs" to get Swiss Cheese. The server never told me that was the delay, just that the food was being prepared. Had I known, I would just selected a different cheese. Needless to say, I felt a bit bad after being told someone had to go in search of my Swiss....but, it appeared everyone else's meals came out with no delay due to my extreme (unknown) request. 

Happy Haven'ing everyone!

Next up in Haven Land Escape - June 2023. 

On 8/24/2022 at 4:09 PM, skeeter195 said:

I keep hearing the same thing over and over which I must correct.  

The waiters in the haven are not running to different restaurants on the ship.  Being a waiter or waitress involves a lot more than just taking orders and serving food.  If something needs to be picked up from another kitchen or dining room on the ship this is done by runners.  

I'm glad someone said this.  I don't KNOW the above to be true, but, I assumed it was. 

We sailed on the BA last November. First time in the Haven. My wife ordered an omelette with salsa on the side. Our waiter told her that they did not have any but they would find some. She told the waiter not to worry about it and forget the salsa. The waiter insisted that she should get the salsa. Approximately 5 minutes after her omelette arrived the salsa arrived. All the waiter said to her was that they found it in another restaurant. That is what I call exceptional service. 
   The next day we showed up approximately 10 minutes after the Haven had closed for breakfast. We were walking out when we were stopped. We were asked what we would like. No menu. We told them not to worry about it and that we would go to O’Sheehans to eat. We could not get out the door. A table was set up for us outside. Our order was taken and it arrived within fifteen minutes. Everything about the Haven and the restaurant was amazing. 

• Like 5

On 9/13/2022 at 8:47 PM, CruiseAF said:

Those who ask for all those crazy requests from the MDR, making the runner go all over the ship after working 12 hours. That’s fine. Good for your. You deserve it. You paid for it. You earned it! Enjoy the spit! 

the runner's job is precisely as you described... "going all over the ship... fulfilling those crazy requests." you personally may not feel comfortable with this, you may feel it violates some unwritten rule about the treatment of your fellow humans, but it is not inhumane to make a request that NCL has determined can be fulfilled by said runner. 

whether or not they have been working 12 hours is an entirely different issue! if indeed they have been working 12 hours and if you feel that is inhumane, then, by all means, organize a labor action or encourage the staff to negotiate new rules for their contract. but it's probably not best to chastise others who are making requests that NCL has encouraged them to make. one need only look at post #121 to see how far haven restaurant employees are willing to (over)extend themselves to please their guests.

the thrust of most comments here has been about whether it is unseemly or impolite to make such requests or if these requests would tax the haven staff and lead to inefficiencies and poor service for other diners.

i just got off the joy and i'll tell you what is highly inefficient about dining in the haven restaurant.... drink service. there is no bar in the haven restaurant! EVERY drink has to be laboriously fetched from a bar which is reached by walking down a long flight on a spiral staircase. up and down the waiters (or runners) must go to get every cocktail. yes, there is an elevator located nearby, but they don't use it. they bring trays of drinks up that damn flight of stairs all day and night long. that's crazy pants!

all this talk of somebody occasionally being asked to go to the local to get a raspberry swirl cheesecake brownie and not a word about the hundreds of drinks a day that have to be balanced precariously on a tray and delivered slowly as the server/runner walks up those damn stairs.

where is the outrage?

these folks spend far more time fetching drinks than they do food from an MDR! 

On 9/13/2022 at 11:07 AM, cruiseny4life said:

The only curveball (apparently) is when I ordered Swiss Cheese for my burger. After eating the restaurant manager, the lovely Dusan, apologized for the wait as they had to go "downstairs" to get Swiss Cheese. The server never told me that was the delay, just that the food was being prepared.  

interesting. it does say right on the menu that cheese substitutions for the "brie burger" are encouraged or welcomed or whatever (not the exact wording). so, presumably, they should be prepared for that. i ordered a burger three or four times last week and always ordered it with swiss cheese... no problem and no noticeable delay. and i heard others ordering the burger with american cheese and cheddar.

i was told something else that  i found surprising. my traveling companion wanted eggs with her steak at lunch. we figured that wasn't really a special request since "steak and eggs" is on the breakfast menu. and "steak" is on the lunch menu.

turns out, they break down the kitchen after every service. at least that was what we were told. the kitchen is apparently provisioned anew for every meal service. so, even if they have eggs leftover from the morning breakfast service, they will have been removed from the kitchen before lunch and only the food items needed to prepare lunch are brought in.

this is in keeping with the haven maitre d's insistence that you give him a day or so for any special requests, but the whole thing seems kind of crazy. don't you need eggs for the seafood fritto misto batter? or is that already pre-made and brought in when they provision?

Edited by UKstages