How Does Free at Sea Compare to Celebrity’s All-Included Offer?

peachcreamsicle

Hey all! My partner and I recently sailed with Celebrity and were fairly pleased with their “all included” promo.  It was awesome having wi-fi (albeit, spotty and slow), open bar and all tips included.  

I’m now considering an NCL cruise, but am somewhat disappointed to see that you have to pay tips for their open bar?  Forgive my ignorance, but are the additional tips is just for bar tipping? Meaning there’s additional tips on the final day of the cruise? Thanks in advance for any clarification! 

Yes you pay tips at the end on your account.  I believe it's $20 a day per person.  It's probably less if you are not in Haven.  Plus you have extra tips to the staff at the end of the cruise if you are in Haven
But we also tip bartenders along the way at all the bars we go to.   We give a little extra to everyone. 

We sail all the lines so it all depends on what offers there are when you are booking.  We have a Princess cruise booked for the future and everything is included.  So no tipping added to our account at the end of the cruise.
It's been awhile since NCL had that promotion. 

55 minutes ago, peachcreamsicle said:

I’m now considering an NCL cruise, but am somewhat disappointed to see that you have to pay tips for their open bar?  Forgive my ignorance, but are the additional tips is just for bar tipping? Meaning there’s additional tips on the final day of the cruise? Thanks in advance for any clarification! 

NCL's "Free at Sea" isn't exactly "free."  For example, the beverage package is "free" but NCL makes you pay the cost of gratuities for the price of that package (a price that NCL makes up and that I suspect not all that many people pay for outright).  So the gratuities on the "free" pricey beverage package can really add up.  Same for the "free" specialty dining -- you pay the cost of the gratuities for the package (that's not a huge sum, though).  

And NCL has a Daily Service Charge (DSC) that is not included in the Free at Sea promo.  This is a per day-per person gratuity that is intended to benefit the crew -- the folks you see (like your cabin attendant) and the folks you don't (e.g., the people laundering your sheets and towels).  The amount varies by cabin category; the numbers are at the link below.  (Celebrity's "All Included" now includes Celebrity's equivalent of the DSC.) 

We sail both NCL and Celebrity.  Do the math, look at the ships and the itinerary, and decide what works for you.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-is-onboard-service-charge

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

(Celebrity's "All Included" now includes Celebrity's equivalent of the DSC.) 

I should add to my comment above that you are of course paying for all the "included" stuff as part of your cruise fare with Celebrity.  It's not "free"  -- it's just a question of when you are paying it.   (Celebrity has some "cruise only" fares that exclude the AI items.)

Whatever the cruise line, if it's "free" or "included" it's not really -- it's factored into the cruise fare.  So, as I said, do the math and decide what works for you.  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I should add to my comment above that you are of course paying for all the "included" stuff as part of your cruise fare with Celebrity.  It's not "free"  -- it's just a question of when you are paying it.   (Celebrity has some "cruise only" fares that exclude the AI items.)

Whatever the cruise line, if it's "free" or "included" it's not really -- it's factored into the cruise fare.  So, as I said, do the math and decide what works for you.  🙂 

Having it all paid upfront really relaxed me a lot more than I think my upcoming NCL will be for this reason. It is just mental, I know, but it's just over, done, paid for, I can add extra at the end if I want but there's not a tally rising day by day that has to leave me at the end.  Having crap internet that doesn't have a time clock on it is preferable to me than the feeling of a diminishing resource.. same thing. Kinda a game in my brain, but I am more on vacation with Celebrity's mode, I think, when it comes to to All Included, etc. 

5 hours ago, Lunesse said:

Having it all paid upfront really relaxed me a lot more than I think my upcoming NCL will be for this reason. It is just mental, I know, but it's just over, done, paid for, I can add extra at the end if I want but there's not a tally rising day by day that has to leave me at the end.  Having crap internet that doesn't have a time clock on it is preferable to me than the feeling of a diminishing resource.. same thing. Kinda a game in my brain, but I am more on vacation with Celebrity's mode, I think, when it comes to to All Included, etc. 

You can pay everything upfront on NCL as well. No need to wait until the end of the cruise to pay the DSC, you can roll them into final payment. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

I’m now considering an NCL cruise, but am somewhat disappointed to see that you have to pay tips for their open bar? 

Yes, the FAS requires gratuities for the open bar ($19.80/day) and the specialty dining package (much smaller.)  The gratuities are paid up front.  It's still worthwhile if you have more than 2 drinks/day, on average, but yeah, I'd prefer it all be baked into the cost.  Same with the DSC for that matter.  That is assessed on the ship but you can opt to pay it up front.  

That isn't going to happen because it's a bit of a bait and switch.  The "26 point type" cost is very inexpensive to get people to look further.  Then one realizes that cost is 1) for the cheapest sail-away indoor cabin and 2) the taxes, DSC, and grats really inflate the price.  I still find it a good value.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

I just stayed in suites on both lines. For Celebrity the AI package includes upper level drink package, unlimited internet, tips and an OBC included. They also have a specialty restaurant just for suites that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. On NCL it’s the lower cost drink package, x amount of internet minutes, 2 specialty dinners and a $50 shore excursion credit. Specialty restaurant breakfast and lunch only, no dinner. The cost of both was almost the same. If I were to book another suite I’d look at Celebrity first. Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You can pay everything upfront on NCL as well. No need to wait until the end of the cruise to pay the DSC, you can roll them into final payment. 

that is awesome to know! Thank you! = )

I have sailed a good bit on both lines…they are really different in on ship atmosphere.   Both have their positives,  to me they appeal to totally different audiences.  When my extended family sails, we always take NCL..they are all younger than the Bride and I.  When we go as a couple, we go Celebrity, hands down. 59 and 57 here.  

Don’t  get me wrong, I love the slides etc as much as anyone when I’m on NCL. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Specialty restaurant breakfast and lunch only, no dinner.

That’s just not correct as to all NCL ships. On newer builds, there is a dedicated Haven restaurant for guests in Haven suites, serving all three meals.  

• Like 1

Celebrity also only includes their “classic” drink package which has bottom shelf liquor where as NCL includes premium brands such as Grey Goose and Patron. If you order pina coladas all day and don’t care what they use then this doesn’t apply. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

That’s just not correct as to all NCL ships. On newer builds, there is a dedicated Haven restaurant for guests in Haven suites, serving all three meals.  

Yes, I know. I was comparing the last two sailings I went on. 

14 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Celebrity also only includes their “classic” drink package which has bottom shelf liquor where as NCL includes premium brands such as Grey Goose and Patron. If you order pina coladas all day and don’t care what they use then this doesn’t apply. 

I’m confused by this.  In suites, on Celebrity it’s the most expensive drink package. In suites on NCL it’s only the classic. There were several wines I wasn’t able to get on the NCL package. Also NCLs included package does not include any bottled water, sparkling or still. You have to pay extra for that.  Keep in mind I’m only comparing the suite inclusions and just offering my opinions on the two different experiences I had. Other peoples experiences may be different. 

Edited by RosieRoo

6 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

I’m confused by this.  In suites, on Celebrity it’s the most expensive drink package. In suites on NCL it’s only the classic. There were several wines I wasn’t able to get on the NCL package. Also NCLs included package does not include any bottled water, sparkling or still. You have to pay extra for that.  Keep in mind I’m only comparing the suite inclusions and just offering my opinions on the two different experiences I had. Other peoples experiences may be different. 

Agreed, if your paying Haven prices they should include the premium plus drink package which includes bottled water. I honestly don’t get excited for San Pellegrino it goes on sale here at the grocery stores for $1.65 a bottle so not really premium to us. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Yes, I know. I was comparing the last two sailings I went on. 

Except you didn't say that, nor mention that what your wrote about NCL suites and dining was not correct across the fleet.  And so folks like the OP here, who have never sailed on NCL, would have no way of knowing from your post that it was limited in its relevance.

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Except you didn't say that, nor mention that what your wrote about NCL suites and dining was not correct across the fleet.  And so folks like the OP here, who have never sailed on NCL, would have no way of knowing from your post that it was limited in its relevance.

Sorry I seem to have offended you. I was just writing about my own personal experience on my last two cruises, one on NCL and one on Celebrity. I never said anything about it being fleetwide for either cruise line. Didn’t realize my opinion was a reason to be attacked. 

Edited by RosieRoo

21 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

Hey all! My partner and I recently sailed with Celebrity and were fairly pleased with their “all included” promo.  It was awesome having wi-fi (albeit, spotty and slow), open bar and all tips included.  

You will be charged 18% gratuity on each drink even if you don't take the open bar package. In effect you're just paying it up front with the package.

Also, when I price out a Celebrity cruise it comes out way higher almost every time, even when I add in what I have to pay extra for on NCL. You're paying it in the cruise fare and then some on Celebrity. At least in my experience.

Edited by nferr

We haven't sailed Celebrity yet. Their 'deal' is better on paper, but it all depends on what is important to you. Every time we price check similar cruises for NCL & Celebrity, we always end up booking NCL. Still want to try Celebrity one of these days, but when it comes to paying for what we find value in, Celebrity is always higher because they give you more stuff - but it's stuff we don't want/need. So for us, no value add, just extra cost.

• Like 2

Having sailed many times on Celebrity, and looking forward to my first Norwegian cruise in October, it seems pretty much like a wash when comparing the "everything free" with the Norwegian "free at sea."  Celebrity includes the tips and has an internet browsing plan, not limited to a number of minutes.  The downside for Celebrity is the Classic drink plan limits drinks to $9, while Norwegian is $15.  The difference may be that Norwegian charges more per drink.  Not sure.  Other posters have said Celebrity offers only "bottom shelf" liquor.  I don't think so.  Surviving the week on Beefeater Gin, Absolut Vodka and Jim Beam isn't so bad.  They're not Well drinks.  Also, Celebrity includes coffee bar drinks in the package.  Norwegian does not.  You pay the gratuities on the Norwegian drink and dining packages.  No extras on the Celebrity drink plan, but no specialty dining is included either, and Celebrity specialty restaurants are pricey.  Some are $59 pp.  Also, the Norwegian $50 discount per port on excursions is something Celebrity does not do.  All this being said, the deciding factor for you may be the cruise fares, which are higher on Celebrity.  Once I return from my Breakaway cruise at the end of October I'll be able to report whether the Celebrity premium price is money well spent. 

• Like 2

I think the Celebrity plan is a much better value for me.

Celebrity:

- Drinks (includes Absolute/Beefeater/Kahalua/Tia Maria/ etc). Also includes specialty coffee and bottled/can water.

- Unlimited Basic Wifi: You can upgrade to premium for about $10 a day which gives streaming.

- Gratuity

NCL

-Drinks (you will pay additional $19.80 pp per day gratuity).  No specialty coffee. No water. 

- Specialty dining (number of dining based on length of cruise and cabin category). 20% Gratuity will be added based on value of meal. Example a $50 meal will add $10 pp. per meal

- $50 shore excursion (only good if you plan on taking the overpriced ship excursions).

- 3rd and 4th free (only good if you are sailing with 3 or 4)

-wifi (limited minutes).

Since most people elect to pay gratuity, having it included on Celebrity is a cost benefit of about $16 pp/per day. 

Of course, you will need to do the math based on your sailing and factor in price of cruise plus perks to see which of the two lines works best for you. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014