Save A Sea Turtle Experience Excursion Robbery.

BallFour4

5 minutes ago, mar214 said:

When we book excursions, we leave our good watches, jewelry, etc. in our ship's safe. We travel with only essentials, such as minimal cash, etc. No one can ever plan for robberies, but at least leave the good stuff on the ship. It's bad enough to lose a phone or a camera, but we try to minimize what we take on an excursion. A cheap watch from Target works great. 

I see cruisers every cruise walking around the port area and excursion stops with their S&S card still around their necks like they're walking around on Lido.

Keeping the good stuff in the safe and not drawing attention to yourself can help minimize the loss, but if bad guys are tracking an excursion group then there's only so much you can do sadly.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Amazing. We are in our last day at sea and met another person in the Diamond and Plat line at Guest Services that was part of the excursion. 
 My cruising experience goes back to the Mardi Gras in 76 and twenty years here on Cruise Critic. My wife and our friends were on the elevator from Deck 0 to the Lido with the first woman that shared this. We have no value in fabricating what she shared. Did she make it all up? Dunno. 
 I do know it was discussed again today from another source. 
 So, for the skeptics, sure, your right. I didn’t monitor the boards here on our last day. We return to Galveston Terminal One tomorrow and I step off my first cruise. I made all the stuff up about past cruises also. Go search my reviews from decades ago. 
 We did a new excursion with a sandbar stop to see stingrays and starfish. We elected not to go into detailed questioning to a woman in tears over loosing her cash and passport. My bad. 

C0742979-FE6E-4C43-A3EF-91974F879B9C.jpeg

CCF784C4-F2F0-4272-B810-E5409CA38230.jpeg

It sounds like everyone was safe and not harmed. Count your blessings. Life is so ephemeral and fleeting.  

Just now, mz-s said:

I see cruisers every cruise walking around the port area and excursion stops with their S&S card still around their necks like they're walking around on Lido.

I don't understand how that is an issue. Could you please educate me how this would affect any outcome?

A SS is of no value. It's obvious who is a tourist and who isn't, at least I stick out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

It sounds like everyone was safe and not harmed. Count your blessings. Life is so ephemeral and fleeting.  

True. Headed to the steakhouse for our last dinner. We haven’t had a vacation since November when we cruised the Breeze with four other couples from church. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I don't understand how that is an issue. Could you please educate me how this would affect any outcome?

A SS is of no value. It's obvious who is a tourist and who isn't, at least I stick out like a sore thumb. 

To me it just makes someone even more of a target.

• Like 4

This is why I never do Mexico.  Once was enough and I have not returned.  

That’s not to say other ports aren’t exactly safe, but my $$$ is not going to be spent in Mexico until they get their act together with regard to safety, which I am guessing will not be in my lifetime.  

And yes, I realize that’s like saying I’m not visiting Miami because Cleveland has safety problems.  Don’t care.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tweak89 said:

I would think a robbery of this size involving tourists would be newsworthy.  Maybe the person the OP ran into that related the story was misunderstood??

Tourists get robbed every day, unless there are injuries or really valuable goods stolen I wouldn't expect a big news story frankly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Tourists get robbed every day, unless there are injuries or really valuable goods stolen I wouldn't expect a big news story frankly.

Agreed, but 27 tourists at one time is fairly newsworthy compared to the normal purse snatching of a single tourist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BallFour4 said:

We elected not to go into detailed questioning to a woman in tears over loosing her cash and passport. My bad. 

11 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

I would think a robbery of this size involving tourists would be newsworthy.  Maybe the person the OP ran into that related the story was misunderstood??

I’m wondering why the OP posted in the first place. They had absolutely no information and did not ask one question so what was the motive to post without information. Maybe the woman in tears actually had a bad experience or maybe she was a good actor. They don’t know. Or as stated by another, maybe they misunderstood. I can’t imagine making a post with so little to say. But I see they are a prolific poster so maybe this happens a lot. Many people either like to be the first to post something or just like to stir things up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tweak89 said:

Anything that happens on a weekend rarely gets immediate coverage unless it is something really big or of National importance. Assuming this is true, I would expect it to be reported on the cruise websites and mainstream news sites by Tuesday, if not sooner. 

I just saw a report by a few on the Carnival Sunshine of a man overboard alert. Some said they found an abandoned boat, but did issue a MOB alert.  That normally makes mainstream news, but there is nothing online yet. Since it was posted by more than one person currently on the ship, I assume it is true, but can’t provide a “valid” source.

If the passenger overboard on the Sunshine is true, it likely will take precedence in the news. Hopefully the alert was an error or the passenger will be found. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

On Carnival Sunshine now and the Coast Guard just released the ship to sail on to Charleston. The boat found was a known empty vessel by the Coast Guard and there was no man overboard THANK GOODNESS!

We are currently all in our cabins waiting for security to scan all guests S&S cards to complete the safety procedures. 
The crew has done an amazing job accounting for all passengers and crew. They have kept all of us updated every few minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JustForPleasure said:

On Carnival Sunshine now and the Coast Guard just released the ship to sail on to Charleston. The boat found was a known empty vessel by the Coast Guard and there was no man overboard THANK GOODNESS!

We are currently all in our cabins waiting for security to scan all guests S&S cards to complete the safety procedures. 
The crew has done an amazing job accounting for all passengers and crew. They have kept all of us updated every few minutes. 

Great news. 

I do wonder why the Coast Guard would not tow a “known empty vessel” to a port or otherwise identify it so that does not occur in the future. Or worse, have a ship hit the boat.  Do they just let them drift until they wash ashore or sink?

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

So far removed from Carnival, they sell tickets to it directly on their website...

How many times do people here champion the benefits of booking excursions through Carnival? Now that somebody reports an issue however, the tour is so far removed from Carnival it might as well be in a different galaxy! Incredible

So what is the point...is it the Internet's fault too?

Many times people champion the benefits of benefits of booking excursions through a cruise line. If your point has any merit what-so-ever, I'm sure you can show one example where it was claimed that one of those benefits would be safety from crime while not on the ship.

You go find it...we'll wait.

PS...nobody said anything about so far removed it was in a different galaxy. Why so much over the top drama in your description? Is it to hide that you really don't have facts? Can't simply just admit that it happened OFF the cruise and leave it at that? Tis but a scratch, Black Knight?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

If the passenger overboard on the Sunshine is true, it likely will take precedence in the news. 

Was on an MSC cruise in May  2019 and had a crew member overboard. Circled the area for a day and missed our stop in San Juan. No mention on national news. Not surprised if Cruise lines downplay bad news.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, audcc77 said:

This is why I never do Mexico.  Once was enough and I have not returned.  

That’s not to say other ports aren’t exactly safe, but my $$$ is not going to be spent in Mexico until they get their act together with regard to safety, which I am guessing will not be in my lifetime.  

And yes, I realize that’s like saying I’m not visiting Miami because Cleveland has safety problems.  Don’t care.  

I had friends just stay onboard. 

Mexico is so close. For me, not going to a cruise with a Mexican port would cross out a lot of options. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I’m wondering why the OP posted in the first place… Many people either like to be the first to post something or just like to stir things up.

Please copy and paste any of my posts from the past two decades where I “stirred things up.” 
 Sorry I don’t have a chair hog or rum runner report for you. I didn’t embellish anything, I merely posted what was shared with my family. 
 Since you have a burning desire for hard hitting news I’ve attached a lounger swine photo. 

47E249EA-D049-4B09-82BA-6404960E115E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1