Best way to cancel and rebook a different cruise?

Clampram

We may cancel a Panama cruise on the Islander and change it to a Hawaii cruise next year. We haven't paid anything yet.

If I cancel the cruise online will our 2 FCDs be automatically returned to my account so I can use them to book the Hawaii cruise.

Or, should I call Princess to cancel and rebook in one call so they can automatically use our 2 FCDs?

Thanks for the advise!

48 minutes ago, Clampram said:

We may cancel a Panama cruise on the Islander and change it to a Hawaii cruise next year. We haven't paid anything yet.

If I cancel the cruise online will our 2 FCDs be automatically returned to my account so I can use them to book the Hawaii cruise.

Or, should I call Princess to cancel and rebook in one call so they can automatically use our 2 FCDs?

Thanks for the advise!

As far as I know you have to call Princess to cancel.  Since it’s before final payment you should get your FCC’s reposted to your account 

1 hour ago, spyro1952 said:

As far as I know you have to call Princess to cancel.  Since it’s before final payment you should get your FCC’s reposted to your account 

Correct. And if you only have single FCDs, the rep "should" be able to use them during your phone call. IIRC I've done that a time or 2.

A couple of weeks ago, I used the on-line chat feature to cancel a cruise. Our future cruise deposits posted immediately back to our accounts.  I was then able to use them to book a new cruise with my travel agent, who was able to get us better pricing than the Princess website and an additional $300 in shipboard credits. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

A couple of weeks ago, I used the on-line chat feature to cancel a cruise. Our future cruise deposits posted immediately back to our accounts.  I was then able to use them to book a new cruise with my travel agent, who was able to get us better pricing than the Princess website and an additional $300 in shipboard credits. 

This is news to me. And good to know. Thanks for the info.

Jim

• Thanks 1

I usually book the new cruise online first before cancelling the old one. Place the new cruise ON HOLD without paying a deposit. Then I call Princess. I cancel the cruise and apply the FCDs to the new cruise in the same phone call.

Look at the expiration date on your FCDs. If it is past the Book By date for the FCDs, then they will not be redeposited - they will be refunded, and you can't use them on a new cruise. In the past, I have sometimes been able to have them extended to apply to a new ON HOLD cruise - but not always.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

Last week, I was on Live Chat to cancel a cruise, “I was told only way to cancel was calling”.  I called to cancel the cruise, again “I asked if I could cancel through Live Chat and again I was told “no only by phone”.

5 minutes ago, phabric said:

Last week, I was on Live Chat to cancel a cruise, “I was told only way to cancel was calling”.  I called to cancel the cruise, again “I asked if I could cancel through Live Chat and again I was told “no only by phone”.

That's so crazy. I just did it about two weeks ago. Our cruise only had FCD's, no cash payments, so maybe that is the difference?

Edited by partybarbie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Clampram said:

Thanks for the advise!

You have to call in and have an agent cancel the booking and then your FCD's are re-posted to your profile.  But I would then look for a TA that offers a discount off the cruise fare instead of booking again with Princess.

ETA:  Forgot to say to check your FCD expiry dates and do not request the cancel until you request for an expiry date extension if indeed they are expired.  Otherwise, they are lost and you are refunded in cash to original credit card.

Edited by Steelers36

9 hours ago, partybarbie said:

We are on a TA in NOvember.  Its past final payment - but now I found a different TA that I think I might like better - I assume there would be a penalty if we switched now?  Am I correct

30 minutes ago, dave_k58 said:

We are on a TA in NOvember.  Its past final payment - but now I found a different TA that I think I might like better - I assume there would be a penalty if we switched now?  Am I correct

Yes, more than likely there’s a penalty. The amount depends on how far past final payment you are. 

1 hour ago, dave_k58 said:

You can't switch now. You would have to cancel the cruise and then rebook.

1 hour ago, dave_k58 said:

We are on a TA in November.  Its past final payment - but now I found a different TA that I think I might like better - I assume there would be a penalty if we switched now?  Am I correct

Both are on Princess?  They might be gentle with you since you are doing your own "move over" to another voyage.  It would help if the new one costs at least as much as the one you have now.