Star officers refuse to attend CC Meet and Greet

MagnoliaBlossom

I have no idea if the 2022 officers are the same as my 2020 officers. Probably more details in our roll call but short of it is this was back when Star was having Azipod issues that had been ongoing for some time on multiple itineraries.  A few days before our cruise left, NCL sent out a press release that they were putting Star in drydock to fix the problem after the next cruise returned. At the officer Q&A people asked about this, and the captain and engineer both said there were no problems, never been any Azipod issues, and that corporate was lying and didn't know what they were talking about.  Other passengers asked about problems they had with their previous leg of the itinerary and the captain made fun of him and said maybe he should cruise on a ferry if he wanted to complain. Just a shockingly bad leadership. A big part of our trip was going around the cape of South America, and the captain skipped it and stopped short by about 10 minutes saying conditions weren't as preferred.....and when asked in the Q&A said he doesn't have to explain his decisions to passengers.

The crew was great as normal.

Edited by pghflyer

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’ve never cruised so I could interact with the ship’s officers. I really don’t care if I was see them or interact with them TBH. I’d much rather they attend to the matter of operating the ship. 

The officers being discussed here are the hotel staff under the direction of the General Manager. Their job is to attend to the needs of the guests...it is an entirely different set of officers that actually operate the ship.

...stuff you learn from interacting. 

4 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Star was my last cruise before pandemic and their officers were the worst and most disrespectful we have encountered. Lied, yelled, and insulted guests at every interaction.  This thread doesn't surprise me at all, even if COVID was all resolved.

Alex, I'll take things that didn't happen for $1,000.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

So the term for manager is officer?

Technically, the only "officers" onboard are the deck and engine ones.  The hotel supervisors were given "officer" ranks when NCL stopped the entertainment subsidy for the deck and engine officers.  In the past, the deck and engine officers were given a subsidy to buy drinks for passengers, as a way to get them to interact.  Then, after 1990, when officers were restricted by law on their alcohol limits, officers started not interacting with passengers.  Passengers complained that they "never saw officers anymore", so NCL gave the hotel supervisors uniforms and rank, so that passengers would always "see" officers.  Other lines followed suit.  These days, the ship's top five:  Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Staff Chief Engineer, and Hotel Director, along with deck and engine watchstanders (those who actually operate the ship), have a zero tolerance for alcohol, at any time they are signed on the vessel (so they can't even drink ashore).

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

25 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

The officers being discussed here are the hotel staff under the direction of the General Manager. Their job is to attend to the needs of the guests...it is an entirely different set of officers that actually operate the ship.

I don’t care if they are chief officers in charge of pealing onions. I have no interest in interacting with ship officers. Don’t go out of my way to avoid it, not bent if it doesn’t happen. Just my opinion. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

Glad to amuse you @ChiefMateJRK just sharing a single experience from 2-years ago FWIW

I appreciate when they take the time to engage, but it wouldn't lessen my enjoyment at all if I see none of them. I don't walk around looking for the hotel or restaurant managers when I go to those establishments either.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Then, after 1990, when officers were restricted by law on their alcohol limits, officers started not interacting with passengers. 

1989: Exxon Valdez

1990: Officers restricted by law on their alcohol consumption

Coincidence?  I think not!!    It sounds like Hazelwood "ruined" it for everyone.

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

1989: Exxon Valdez

1990: Officers restricted by law on their alcohol consumption

Coincidence?  I think not!!    It sounds like Hazelwood "ruined" it for everyone.

Of course there's a link.  After OPA 90 (Oil Pollution Act of 1990) prompted by the Valdez, the USCG pushed the IMO to establish alcohol limits on all mariners.  While the senior officers and watchkeepers on cruise ships are prohibited all alcohol, it is not prohibited for all mariners, just that the limit is 0.04, or about half of what most states in the US consider OUI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I hate to inform you of this, but Alex's cancer finally did him in.

So, it should be Ken, I'll take things that didn't happen for $1000. (and I say Ken and hopefully not Mayim.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I don’t care if they are chief officers in charge of pealing onions. I have no interest in interacting with ship officers. Don’t go out of my way to avoid it, not bent if it doesn’t happen. Just my opinion. 

You say that you don't care, yet you clicked on, read, and posted in a topic about it. Seems like there is some level of care...

5 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Troll alert!! 😉😎

19 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Star was my last cruise before pandemic and their officers were the worst and most disrespectful we have encountered. Lied, yelled, and insulted guests at every interaction.  This thread doesn't surprise me at all, even if COVID was all resolved.

Boy…I almost want to know what brought that on.  But, I’m probably going to be very sorry for asking.