Have you celebrated a special day aboard with a special dinner?

rkacruiser

Nine years ago tomorrow, aboard the Eurodam, I began my 7th decade of life.  My traveling companion and I celebrated the day with a special dinner that took place that evening in the Pinnacle Grill.  A menu, preparation, and service experience by Johnnie Boer.  It was my first experience with a deconstructed dining experience.  It was a memorable dinner.  Food served was good.  Dishes on which the food was served was different--black.  (Black seemed to be the color theme from the service ware to the uniforms of the Stewards.)  Wines were excellent.  The final course was a deconstructed Apple Pie.  What a mess of ingredients!  At the very end, a traditional small cake with a candle and a confectionery greeting was served to "save" the evening.  By then, Nadine and I had no room for a second dessert.  We took it back to our stateroom and enjoyed it the next day.  

What has been your experience?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Happy Birthday, RK!

The above sounds like a hard act to follow, but I hope today will be an especially good day.

Thank you for your birthday wishes!  It has been a decent day thus far with cards, e-mails, and phone calls (no robo calls for a change--so far).  Even received a call from my Minister which was a surprise.  Never got one from any Minister on my birthday.  

I celebrated my 60th as well as my 70th on a cruise.  My 80th?  TBD.  

No fancy dinner tonight.  Chef RKA will prepare a steak and a Baked Potato.  Wine will be a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc:  Villa Maria, my favorite white wine.  

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Happy Birthday Bob.We are in our 9th.decade of life .

I cebrated my 30th and 70th.on cruises .

Thank you very much, Lenny!  It's been a decent day for me with contacts from people with whom I often don't hear.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 3:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thank you for your birthday wishes!  It has been a decent day thus far with cards, e-mails, and phone calls (no robo calls for a change--so far).  Even received a call from my Minister which was a surprise.  Never got one from any Minister on my birthday.  

I celebrated my 60th as well as my 70th on a cruise.  My 80th?  TBD.  

No fancy dinner tonight.  Chef RKA will prepare a steak and a Baked Potato.  Wine will be a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc:  Villa Maria, my favorite white wine.  

I was away for my birthday and I want to wish you a happy belated birthday. If we ever meet the apple pie is my treat!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 6:50 AM, Mary229 said:

I was away for my birthday and I want to wish you a happy belated birthday. If we ever meet the apple pie is my treat!

Thank you!  Apple Pie:  homemade?  😀

My steak dinner was disappointing.  My grocer did not have any sirloin steaks and I bought a round steak.  Disappointing to say the least.  Neither Worcestershire Sauce or A-1 helped.  Supposed to have been USDA Choice.  I am finding that the "Choice: designation to have changed.  I would rank this steak as the level below Choice.  But, the Baked Potato and the wine was good.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My steak dinner was disappointing.  My grocer did not have any sirloin steaks and I bought a round steak.  Disappointing to say the least.  Neither Worcestershire Sauce or A-1 helped.  Supposed to have been USDA Choice.  I am finding that the "Choice: designation to have changed.  I would rank this steak as the level below Choice.  But, the Baked Potato and the wine was good.  

Actually give me a shout if ever in our woods, we are both pretty good cooks. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Top of the round steak can be tough as nails.  Short cut of the round is another story.  It is one of the tastiest steaks out there and tender too.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Top of the round steak can be tough as nails.  Short cut of the round is another story.  It is one of the tastiest steaks out there and tender too.

I think mine was a Top Round Steak.  When I was the grocery basket pusher for my Mother as a youngster, I know that she avoided Round Steaks and told me why.  I forgot my lessons, but, it has been so long ago.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I think mine was a Top Round Steak.  When I was the grocery basket pusher for my Mother as a youngster, I know that she avoided Round Steaks and told me why.  I forgot my lessons, but, it has been so long ago.  

I don’t even know why they try to sell round steaks.  Inside “hotel” top of the rounds are good if slowly roasted whole and thin sliced for roast beef.  I used to roast a 24 lb top and then thin slice it.  They are really good if slow smoked on a bbq.  The short cut comes off the soft end of the top round.  It is tender and, for my money, has the best beef flavor of any cut of beef.  I use them for Steak Diane.  You must get at least a choice grade if not prime.  

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...