Moving back to P&O from NCL

Trimone

Since Covid we have cruised twice with NCL, both European cruises, we have thought the atmosphere lacking some what, some how not the same, we have done about 10 previous cruises with them, that gave us a thought about going back to P&O?

I glanced at some pages on here, and it appears a lack of customer care by them are we doing the right thing?

Any feedback grateful  

36 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Since Covid we have cruised twice with NCL, both European cruises, we have thought the atmosphere lacking some what, some how not the same, we have done about 10 previous cruises with them, that gave us a thought about going back to P&O?

I glanced at some pages on here, and it appears a lack of customer care by them are we doing the right thing?

Any feedback grateful  

I think the lack of customer care criticism relates primarily to the Head Office.  

The service on board is excellent.

• Like 4

Well none of this pretty squabbling is going to help the OP!  I agree with Wowzz it's the onshore customer service and the dodgy website letting P&O down at present.  The cruise experience for most recently reporting has been good and a lot of the negativity we read has been from cruises taken some time ago.  

Regarding NCL compared to P&O the one certainty is the pricing onboard will be better value.  Take no notice of others and go with a  open mind, enjoy yourself.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Trimone said:

How dangerous is it going for the early bird? Also if they choose your dining time can it be altered?

Which ship and date are you looking at ?  If its Iona or Arvia there are pitfalls which can be explained, there's also a huge price differential for some cruises for select.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think the lack of customer care criticism relates primarily to the Head Office.  

The service on board is excellent.

I have to agree with wowzz. We have been on two P&O cruises in the last year. There were some minor issues on both but linked to Passenger Locator forms. Reception staff were a bit overwhelmed by people needing help. Generally these are no longer required (a few destinations may still need them but not many). Other than that, the bar, restaurant and cabin staff all brilliant. We are off on Azura on the 15th and can’t wait.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

I have to agree with wowzz. We have been on two P&O cruises in the last year. There were some minor issues on both but linked to Passenger Locator forms. Reception staff were a bit overwhelmed by people needing help. Generally these are no longer required (a few destinations may still need them but not many). Other than that, the bar, restaurant and cabin staff all brilliant. We are off on Azura on the 15th and can’t wait.

We had 3 P&O cruises last year, one Celebrity this year. RCI next week and Britannia in October.  We like NCL as well

No real complaints about any of them. Go with an open mind. If you hate it. Cross it of the list for next time. Some of the negative comments are fron folk who haven't cruised for yonks.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Which ship and date are you looking at ?  If its Iona or Arvia there are pitfalls which can be explained, there's also a huge price differential for some cruises for select.

Azura in the canaries A311A, works out about £2k for a balcony? Is the superior worth the extra, also I couldn’t stand not being able to eat when I want too?

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

Azura in the canaries A311A, works out about £2k for a balcony? Is the superior worth the extra, also I couldn’t stand not being able to eat when I want too?

Deck C has much larger balconies half covered half open. Superior have a larger interior including a sofa plus a large balcony which is totally uncovered. 

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

18 March 2023 - a deck C midship balcony is currently £2,738 with £110 OBC so to guarantee the C deck balcony with any time dining you are looking at a difference of £630 to guarantee it.

The early saver starting figure is between £1998 and £2098 for the standard balcony so position of the cabin makes little difference to the price. Again the deluxe has a difference of £720.

In your case if the mealtimes are a deal breaker then it is a risk regarding anytime dining.  There is normally a little flexibility on the allocated dining on a saver but there is no certainty you can change.  Having said that we have been lucky on all but one occasion in our allocation and have had freedom dining allocated on all but one cruise in recent cruises, however I'm told this is most likely to our registered preferences with P&O over a number of years.  

The current promotion which is running ends on 5 September. This could mean a better offering may commence on 6 September but it could also herald more price changes either up or down.  Overall it depends on how much of a gambler you are, either for the dining option or a possible new offer to your advantage. Hope that helps,.

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Deck C has much larger balconies half covered half open. Superior have a larger interior including a sofa plus a large balcony which is totally uncovered. 

But you’ll get thrown out because C deck is isolation zone aft at the moment 

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought mid aft was the quarantine zone?

I thought it was aft on D deck so there you go. Investigate and don’t book a cabin in a quarantine area. I’d be wary of any cabins 700 plus. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

The OP was thinking of an early saver.  Apart from his dining needs it presumably would miss the quarantine zones as P&O would be in charge of the allocation.  Under those circumstances perhaps the deck D deluxe balcony would be his best option if he can overcome his worries on dining.

For the very big mark up between select and saver for this cruise it would be essential to know exactly which areas of the ship to avoid with quarantine cabins.  As far as I am aware no P&O ship has quarantine cabins mid forward or forward, unless of course anyone can advise me differently  ...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Trimone said:

How dangerous is it going for the early bird? Also if they choose your dining time can it be altered?

On two occasions when we booked early saver we didn't get the dining we requested (freedom).  On both occasions we spoke the Maitre D on embarkation day and were able to change to our preferred choice.  On one occasion we did have to wait 2 days for this to be sorted, but it was a Christmas & New Year cruise on Oriana.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Hmmm, not so sure about that. 

Hmmm  I am, 1st sitting was always full, 2nd sitting not so. At least that was our impression over 3 cruise lines, P&O, Princess and Celebrity.

In fact Princess on Sapphire and Diamond had an extra 1st sitting in one of the 4 freedom restaurants, but it reverted to freedom afterwards.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Hmmm  I am, 1st sitting was always full, 2nd sitting not so. At least that was our impression over 3 cruise lines, P&O, Princess and Celebrity.

In fact Princess on Sapphire and Diamond had an extra 1st sitting in one of the 4 freedom restaurants, but it reverted to freedom afterwards.

John, you are up late !

You have much more experience than I do, so will withdraw my comment. 

Obviously it is a personal choice,  but we would hate first sitting.  Having to leave a sunny bar in order to get ready for dinner is a total anathema!   

• Like 1