What Power Adaptors do you take for Australian Power Cords

Matkai

I quite like that there are more and more USB outlets, and it means we just pack one phone charger plus extra cables instead of all the extra paraphernalia. Every bit helps when having to pack light. 

The outlets on Coral Princess were fine for fast charge. There was also a USB socket in one of the bedside lamps, but it was slow charge. It is still horses for courses though, as a Majestic Princess mini only has a single USB in a bedside lamp. There are AU/China, US & Euro sockets, and we will just add a powerbank to create 2 x USBs, and have something to keep our phones charged in transit or in an emergency.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:09 PM, Ozwoody said:

Hi Matkai

The cruise ships home based in Australia for Princess and P&O have a single Aussie power point outlet at the desk area, and I believe two USB outlets.

But I still take my travel power board below, it is an approved unit for cruising. Aldi's have them on sale every so often.

Their great as they have plug adaptors for use around the world and 4 usb sockets, and the extension cord allows me to be flexible locate it on the desk.

regards

Adapter.gif.c50bf65f002fd492dfb2c4b14f3e78ad.gif

They are on again.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:33 AM, arxcards said:

Have you got yours back for the 2nd cruise, or are they keeping it for the whole journey?

They are keeping it for the whole journey. No point in giving it back, they'd only confiscate it again when we went through security to get back on the ship.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, losfp said:

I don't trust the built-in USB ports anyway. There's no easy way to know what power they provide, if it's enough for fast charging etc... and they tend to break easily.  Good in an emergency, but I prefer to use my own multi-port USB charger anyway - something for frequent travellers to think about.

We have AU to US adaptors which we use in the US sockets for our fast chargers. They work well. Luckily I was able to get a second one i  the Rocks after they confiscated my Aldi adapter. 

25 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Bought one of the Aldi travel power boards today. Looks like a high quality item, very sturdy, unlike the flimsy all-in-one item I had previously. Thanks to the CC members who alerted it was available, as those Aldi specials only last a couple of days.

They are great and have served us very well on many trips and cruises. Just don't take them through the OPT!

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Neither had I until this cruise. It was very strange. 

The exact same Aldi travel adaptor wasn't even questioned in Brisbane when we boarded Coral in June.

If it says clearly in the terms and conditions that you can take a basic power board that does not have surge control, then can't you escalate this with someone on the ship who has some authority?  I can see that some crew members just think "electrical item - prohibited!" , but you should be able to negotiate your case with someone who actually looked properly at this specific powerboard.

On 9/14/2022 at 9:40 AM, losfp said:

I don't trust the built-in USB ports anyway. There's no easy way to know what power they provide, if it's enough for fast charging etc... and they tend to break easily.  Good in an emergency, but I prefer to use my own multi-port USB charger anyway - something for frequent travellers to think about.

Not to mention all USB’s in Hotel, Airport, Ship etc are completely at risk of data 

On 9/14/2022 at 9:40 AM, losfp said:

Absolutely! Not to mention Those oh-so-handy USB power charging stations in the airport, hotels, ships etc may come with a cost you can’t see. Cybercriminals can modify those USB connections to install malware on your phone or download data without your knowledge.

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

If it says clearly in the terms and conditions that you can take a basic power board that does not have surge control, then can't you escalate this with someone on the ship who has some authority?  I can see that some crew members just think "electrical item - prohibited!" , but you should be able to negotiate your case with someone who actually looked properly at this specific powerboard.

Been there, done that! They copied the travel adaptor instruction manual/spec sheet and sent it to their onboard "experts" who still claimed it was a "fire hazard".

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Been there, done that! They copied the travel adaptor instruction manual/spec sheet and sent it to their onboard "experts" who still claimed it was a "fire hazard".

They may be right. Not that you can check ATM, but do these specs match your unit? A universal board should say something like 100-250V, 50 - 60hz.

aldi_adaptor.thumb.jpg.af2cb86753e54ec20d76ae72ba7cbd50.jpg

20 hours ago, arxcards said:

They may be right. Not that you can check ATM, but do these specs match your unit? A universal board should say something like 100-250V, 50 - 60hz.

aldi_adaptor.thumb.jpg.af2cb86753e54ec20d76ae72ba7cbd50.jpg

No, all the documentation mentions is that it doesn't convert voltage or mains frequency. Plus that it can charge devices via USB up to 3.1A in total.

Obviously I can't check the adaptor itself until I get it back.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, all the documentation mentions is that it doesn't convert voltage or mains frequency. Plus that it can charge devices via USB up to 3.1A in total.

Obviously I can't check the adaptor itself until I get it back.

Only transformers can convert, while most travel powerboards just deliver the available power and can handle most voltage and current - but are labelled as 100-250V, 50-60hz

The one pictured isn't rated for a US 60hz cycle. Not to say it can't handle it, but it hasn't been certified.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Only transformers can convert, while most travel powerboards just deliver the available power and can handle most voltage and current - but are labelled as 100-250V, 50-60hz

The one pictured isn't rated for a US 60hz cycle. Not to say it can't handle it, but it hasn't been certified.

You'd expect an adaptor that has plugs for the US, as well as EU, UK, and Australia, to be able to handle all the types of power in those countries. I've used mine in the US, France, Spain, Australia and NZ, and on several cruise ships including Coral Princess in June. 

Very strange!

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

The one pictured isn't rated for a US 60hz cycle.

Just checked the Aldi one I purchased this week:

Specifications are AC 110 to 240V, 50 - 60 Hz, 2400W Max

USB/USB -C output DC 5V, total 4.5A max

There is a note that says that using the device in countries with 110V, not to exceed 1100W

So looks like Aldi have upgraded a little from the one pictured above.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

Just checked the Aldi one I purchased this week:

Specifications are AC 110 to 240V, 50 - 60 Hz, 2400W Max

USB/USB -C output DC 5V, total 4.5A max

There is a note that says that using the device in countries with 110V, not to exceed 1100W

So looks like Aldi have upgraded a little from the one pictured above.

Cool. Thanks. That is a fair upgrade from 720W.

The picture I posted was from 2019, but some here have owned them that long. 

The cruise lines main concern used to be that the system has problems coping.. Boards having  "surge protection", apparently cause issues.  That, coupled with staff not being able to identify what is what, makes it easier for a blanket ban on anything with a cord.

15 minutes ago, Big Kev said:

The cruise lines main concern used to be that the system has problems coping.. Boards having  "surge protection", apparently cause issues.  That, coupled with staff not being able to identify what is what, makes it easier for a blanket ban on anything with a cord.

The other concern is that cheap Chinese boards are easily prone to damage and melt when overloaded.

It isn't the cruise line that is applying a blanket ban, but terminal security. They have nether the time nor the skills to separate the good from the bad.

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

The other concern is that cheap Chinese boards are easily prone to damage and melt when overloaded.

It isn't the cruise line that is applying a blanket ban, but terminal security. They have nether the time nor the skills to separate the good from the bad.

However I requested that Princess check our Aldi travel adaptor onboard during the second sea day - no terminal security there! They still claimed it was a fire hazard!