"Are We Mad?" - a not quite live review of our Alaskan, Transpacific, Comedy, and Papua New Guinea cruises

A very wet arrival, with Pacific Adventure riding shotgun to keep the media away.

NSW Health hasn't yet uploaded a covid status for Splendor, so I hope all is well.

327715308_download(20).thumb.png.2cab568da0025bd0d894dfc21089de2d.png

I hope it wasn't too bumpy when the ship took a shortcut through South Head 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We are home!

The Carnival Splendor docked at the OPT this morning, we debarked, made it to the airport, boarded the plane with all our luggage, arrived safely in Coffs Harbour despite gale force winds, and drove home to Grafton. 
The washing machine is on and we'll repack our bags as we drive to Brisbane tomorrow morning to board the Pacific Encounter. 

We didn’t buy any Internet access on the ship and I’ve been a bit slack with my writing but I promise to post the next episode (Junea) tonight and hopefully another one tomorrow before we sail. Hopefully I get lots of writing done during the comedy cruise and can post more episodes on Tuesday which is turn around day.

I’ve got so much to tell you: an encounter with a bear, lost luggage, our tablemates on Carnival, a Japanese landmark, FIL's funny turn, the tablecloth saga, rumours of murders on board… STAY TUNED!

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

A very wet arrival, with Pacific Adventure riding shotgun to keep the media away.

NSW Health hasn't yet uploaded a covid status for Splendor, so I hope all is well.

327715308_download(20).thumb.png.2cab568da0025bd0d894dfc21089de2d.png

I hope it wasn't too bumpy when the ship took a shortcut through South Head 😉

We had a fairly smooth sailing as the Pacific Ocean was true to its name rather than it’s reputation. There was a little bit of motion in the ocean last night and a few bumps this morning. Now I know why! 🤣

Edited by Sparky74
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

We are home!

The Carnival Splendor docked at the OPT this morning, we debarked, made it to the airport, boarded the plane with all our luggage, arrived safely in Coffs Harbour despite gale force winds, and drove home to Grafton. 
The washing machine is on and we'll repack our bags as we drive to Brisbane tomorrow morning to board the Pacific Encounter. 

We didn’t buy any Internet access on the ship and I’ve been a bit slack with my writing but I promise to post the next episode (Junea) tonight and hopefully another one tomorrow before we sail. Hopefully I get lots of writing done during the comedy cruise and can post more episodes on Tuesday which is turn around day.

I’ve got so much to tell you: an encounter with a bear, lost luggage, our tablemates on Carnival, a Japanese landmark, FIL's funny turn, the tablecloth saga, rumours of murders on board… STAY TUNED!

Can’t wait! We have all been glued to our computers waiting for the next episode! It’s more gripping then any Netflix drama 😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Part 8

Sunday on the Eurodam 

Early in our marriage the differences between DW and I were sometimes a source of frustration but we’ve come to realise that it’s OK not to be the same, that's how God made us. For example DW requires more sleep than I do and is a bit of a night owl while I am very much a morning person. 

A number of years ago this was pushed to the extreme. We’d had a busy week in the lead up to the local show and hadn’t got any baking done. Arriving home at about 8:30pm, DW decided to start baking as entries needed to be delivered to the showgrounds the next day. Meanwhile I went to bed for sleepy time. As she crawled between the sheets at about 2am I disturbed and awoke. So I got up and turned the oven back on and proceeded with my baking. Are we mad?

So, it’s little surprise that I'm up early the next morning to complete my exploration of the Eurodam while DW remains snoring in bed. Then I’m ready for breakfast so I head to the dining room. DW will eat later at the Lido Marketplace. 

The food and service on the Eurodam was fantastic but my one disappointment was that this morning they seated me alone for breakfast. I’m a sociable person, which is a nice way of saying that I can talk the leg off an iron pot, and I enjoy meeting people. Had I known I’d be seated alone I would have brought a book to read. I'll make sure to ask to share a table next time. 

Seeking to occupy myself while waiting for my breakfast to arrive, I examine the side plates. I was much taken by these plates the previous night with their blue and white patterns. There are four unique designs and they all have the HAL logo incorporated (you could even say "hidden") within them. Turning a plate over I discover that it’s "Royal Delftware". Well, that makes sense! We're sailing on HOLLAND America. Who else includes a review of the crockery in their cruise report? Am I mad? Later DW will photograph each of the four plate designs for inclusion in her multi volume photo book. Is she mad too?

The day includes talks by both Kurt, the Naturalist and also Ryan, the Cruise Director and Travel Director. On this trip the CD isn’t much concerned with announcing that bingo is about to commence or organising a hairy legs competition. HAL is a little more refined and as we’re sailing to Alaska the cruise is about the destination and the ports of call rather than the ship itself. 

Ryan is a very interesting person to listen to. Throughout the cruise he presents a series of illustrated talks about Alaska. It transpires that he has scripted over 200 such talks which are presented by CDs throughout the HAL fleet. An American by birth, he met his Ukrainian wife while they were both working on a HAL ship. They made their home (for when they’re not at sea) in Kiev but had to flee due to the Russian invasion. He recounts that the roads were so congested that they had to walk the final 40km into Poland. His wife is currently awaiting paperwork so she can join him and resume working on the ship.

Later in the afternoon I drag DW to what she begrudgingly admits to be an informative talk on "how to use your binoculars" by Kurt, our fully clothed naturalist. We had brought two pairs of compact binoculars with us from Australia and whist not particularly powerful, they were to prove better than the naked eye. If we return to Alaska for a subsequent cruise in the future, I will certainly consider investing in a decent pair. 

It’s easy to lose track but today is Sunday and HAL has included a self-led church service before dinner. We arrive at the venue before the appointed time and take our seats in the congregation. Despite there being several other ministers (both retired and active) present, somehow I end up being nominated to lead the service. HAL has provided hymn books but no piano so we sing acapella with the congregation choosing favourites as well as sharing favourite Bible verses and their own experiences. A number of the group have experienced the trama of losing a baby during pregnancy or soon after being born. It was a moving time of worship and sharing. 

After "church" the fellowship continued as Doug and Joanie invited us to share dinner with them and another couple, Jim and Glenda. They had also previously pastored churches but now Jim, who has a PhD, teaches courses in Marriage and Families around the world. 

We linger over dinner chatting with our new friends and end up one of the last parties to leave the dining room. There are not many activities on the ship tonight, certainly nothing of great interest to us so we head back to our cabin for sleepy time. Tomorrow we will dock at Juneau where we will embark on our much anticipated helicopter ride and dogsledding on the glacier. Or will we?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Part 8

Sunday on the Eurodam 

Early in our marriage the differences between DW and I were sometimes a source of frustration but we’ve come to realise that it’s OK not to be the same, that's how God made us. For example DW requires more sleep than I do and is a bit of a night owl while I am very much a morning person. 

A number of years ago this was pushed to the extreme. We’d had a busy week in the lead up to the local show and hadn’t got any baking done. Arriving home at about 8:30pm, DW decided to start baking as entries needed to be delivered to the showgrounds the next day. Meanwhile I went to bed for sleepy time. As she crawled between the sheets at about 2am I disturbed and awoke. So I got up and turned the oven back on and proceeded with my baking. Are we mad?

So, it’s little surprise that I'm up early the next morning to complete my exploration of the Eurodam while DW remains snoring in bed. Then I’m ready for breakfast so I head to the dining room. DW will eat later at the Lido Marketplace. 

The food and service on the Eurodam was fantastic but my one disappointment was that this morning they seated me alone for breakfast. I’m a sociable person, which is a nice way of saying that I can talk the leg off an iron pot, and I enjoy meeting people. Had I known I’d be seated alone I would have brought a book to read. I'll make sure to ask to share a table next time. 

Seeking to occupy myself while waiting for my breakfast to arrive, I examine the side plates. I was much taken by these plates the previous night with their blue and white patterns. There are four unique designs and they all have the HAL logo incorporated (you could even say "hidden") within them. Turning a plate over I discover that it’s "Royal Delftware". Well, that makes sense! We're sailing on HOLLAND America. Who else includes a review of the crockery in their cruise report? Am I mad? Later DW will photograph each of the four plate designs for inclusion in her multi volume photo book. Is she mad too?

The day includes talks by both Kurt, the Naturalist and also Ryan, the Cruise Director and Travel Director. On this trip the CD isn’t much concerned with announcing that bingo is about to commence or organising a hairy legs competition. HAL is a little more refined and as we’re sailing to Alaska the cruise is about the destination and the ports of call rather than the ship itself. 

Ryan is a very interesting person to listen to. Throughout the cruise he presents a series of illustrated talks about Alaska. It transpires that he has scripted over 200 such talks which are presented by CDs throughout the HAL fleet. An American by birth, he met his Ukrainian wife while they were both working on a HAL ship. They made their home (for when they’re not at sea) in Kiev but had to flee due to the Russian invasion. He recounts that the roads were so congested that they had to walk the final 40km into Poland. His wife is currently awaiting paperwork so she can join him and resume working on the ship.

Later in the afternoon I drag DW to what she begrudgingly admits to be an informative talk on "how to use your binoculars" by Kurt, our fully clothed naturalist. We had brought two pairs of compact binoculars with us from Australia and whist not particularly powerful, they were to prove better than the naked eye. If we return to Alaska for a subsequent cruise in the future, I will certainly consider investing in a decent pair. 

It’s easy to lose track but today is Sunday and HAL has included a self-led church service before dinner. We arrive at the venue before the appointed time and take our seats in the congregation. Despite there being several other ministers (both retired and active) present, somehow I end up being nominated to lead the service. HAL has provided hymn books but no piano so we sing acapella with the congregation choosing favourites as well as sharing favourite Bible verses and their own experiences. A number of the group have experienced the trama of losing a baby during pregnancy or soon after being born. It was a moving time of worship and sharing. 

After "church" the fellowship continued as Doug and Joanie invited us to share dinner with them and another couple, Jim and Glenda. They had also previously pastored churches but now Jim, who has a PhD, teaches courses in Marriage and Families around the world. 

We linger over dinner chatting with our new friends and end up one of the last parties to leave the dining room. There are not many activities on the ship tonight, certainly nothing of great interest to us so we head back to our cabin for sleepy time. Tomorrow we will dock at Juneau where we will embark on our much anticipated helicopter ride and dogsledding on the glacier. Or will we?

Love it. Well worth the wait. It's amazing how God works to bring people together 🥰.

Delft dinnerware is very impressive!

The Juneau expedition I am waiting with baited breath. I always declare you wont get me on a helicopter, yet I am toying with that very expedition/excursion for our once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. 

Roll on Part 9. Thanks for entertaining us all.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

We are home!

So with no internet on ship, did you enjoy the break? did you manage in ports to connect etc? i'm not planning on buying internet on any of our next cruises as I figure in ports i will find connections if I want to check emails???? Rather spend the money on excursions.

15 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

So with no internet on ship, did you enjoy the break? did you manage in ports to connect etc? i'm not planning on buying internet on any of our next cruises as I figure in ports i will find connections if I want to check emails???? Rather spend the money on excursions.

When we got home yesterday I sorted through the 175 emails in my inbox. I deleted most of them after a cursory glance. I really need to unsubscribe from some lists. 
I enjoy being disconnected from my devices while at sea but the cruise lines are making it more difficult as they want passengers to use their app. I keep resisting this change but it’s getting more and more difficult. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

When we got home yesterday I sorted through the 175 emails in my inbox. I deleted most of them after a cursory glance. I really need to unsubscribe from some lists. 
I enjoy being disconnected from my devices while at sea but the cruise lines are making it more difficult as they want passengers to use their app. I keep resisting this change but it’s getting more and more difficult. 

So do you actually have to be connected to wifi for  the app? I don’t think I was aware of that?? On our June cruises I took internet as we had obc. 

37 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Love it. Well worth the wait. It's amazing how God works to bring people together 🥰.

Delft dinnerware is very impressive!

The Juneau expedition I am waiting with baited breath. I always declare you wont get me on a helicopter, yet I am toying with that very expedition/excursion for our once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. 

Roll on Part 9. Thanks for entertaining us all.

Helicopters are awesome for ultimate sightseeing, and some of our best travel memories. As long as it is affordable, we suss these out for most of our trips now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

So do you actually have to be connected to wifi for  the app? I don’t think I was aware of that?? On our June cruises I took internet as we had obc. 

For Princess, you need a wifi capable device to connect the app to the ship features, but you don't need internet. In a sense, the wifi is connecting you to the ship, while paying for the internet extends your connection from the ship to satellite to shore so you can access your emails, messenger, websites etc.

Edited by arxcards
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Helicopters are awesome for ultimate sightseeing, and some of our best travel memories. As long as it is affordable, we suss these out for most of our trips now.

I was the most fearful flyer hence rarely flew til I married Frank! So I’m very proud of myself for going on big planes. Little ones never lol. Helicopters!!! I always said if I need medical trip in one just let me die lol but I’m getting so tempted by this excursion!!! That I’m willing to be brave “I think” lol

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

The pattern is available free online or for $1.99 you can download a printable PDF. 
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/20-minute-duck-amigurumi

Just a little alert to Aussies wanting to use the US pattern. What Americans call 'sc' (single crochet), we call 'dc' (double crochet). Mark's wife Catherine would know this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Princess app is reasonably good however it is not necessary for cruising.

We had no prob using the app, and enjoyed the features of ordering and locating each other lol but do you need internet to run it? We had internet last time but not planning to have it fir 28 day cruise 

2 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

We had no prob using the app, and enjoyed the features of ordering and locating each other lol but do you need internet to run it? We had internet last time but not planning to have it fir 28 day cruise 

You don't need internet to run it. The app connects with wifi intranet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

You can also find your companions from the big screens by the lifts. We didn't use the app on board (didn't have internet) but certainly didn't feel disadvantaged without it. The only drink we had we ordered Direct from the bar (we're old fashioned folk) 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jean C said:

You can also find your companions from the big screens by the lifts. We didn't use the app on board (didn't have internet) but certainly didn't feel disadvantaged without it. The only drink we had we ordered Direct from the bar (we're old fashioned folk) 😊

Handy to know re locating Frank lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1