HAL Newbie - Norse Legends or Viking Sagas

fsufancc

Going to book a "bucket list" sailing for Me (65 healthy), Mrs Fan (64 healthy), my sister (71 some health issues) and SIL (70s healthy).

We are looking at the Aug 2023 sailings on the Rotterdam out of Amsterdam.  All of us are retired so we can choose either the Norse Legends (Aug 12) or the Viking Sagas (Aug 19). We will get 2 balcony/veranda rooms. This will be our only Norway trip for the foreseeable future and want to see Fjords and the sights

Just wondering what folks thought about each trip.  Thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.ab284043c30ea4237c71bdc80ab8e177.png

Since you are traveling a long distance to get to Amsterdam, I would take the longest trip possible. At minimum, I would take the 14 days and do a back to back, or Collector's Cruise if offered that way. 

If you really only want to do one of them, then flip a coin. Both are great itineraries. I'm partial to Alesund and Bergen, but also love Oslo and Stavenger. 

• Like 1

On the Northern Europe board there is a CC member who has given great advice about which ports are the ones to see.  My suggestion is to check out what he says about the different ports and then select your sailing.  

39 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Since you are traveling a long distance to get to Amsterdam, I would take the longest trip possible. At minimum, I would take the 14 days and do a back to back, or Collector's Cruise if offered that way. 

If you really only want to do one of them, then flip a coin. Both are great itineraries. I'm partial to Alesund and Bergen, but also love Oslo and Stavenger. 

Can't really do B2B due to pets and such. My sister is an attorney and can put clients on hold for a week, but probably not 2 weeks.  I think I am leaning for the Alesund/Bergen - Norse legends trip. Plus we will stay a few days in Amsterdam and see the city/countryside.

We have several cruises scheduled this coming year.  Boston to NE/Canada in October (RCCL) and an Alaskan inside passage next June (also RCCL). We are going to Whistler BC in Feb for our actual Anniversary (we were both long time Floridians, so snow is still a big deal). We were trying to work out an Australia/New Zealand trip and decided it was too complicated and decided to do the Whistler + Trip to Norway instead as a compromise.

One suggestion for your Alaska trip if you are only doing this one time go on a ship that does Glacier Bay.  It is well worth it and the other glaciers while 'nice to see' don't compare.  Just my 2. cents having been to Alaska 4 times on various ships.  

• Like 1

We did the Norse Legends cruise a few years ago, like you, we couldn't arrange to do both cruises.

Bergen and Alesund are wonderful towns to explore and the scenic cruising in the fjords is stunning.  Our only complaint was that it was too short.  Someday, we'll go back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

We did the Norse Legends cruise a few years ago, like you, we couldn't arrange to do both cruises.

Bergen and Alesund are wonderful towns to explore and the scenic cruising in the fjords is stunning.  Our only complaint was that it was too short.  Someday, we'll go back.

I think we are going to take the Norse Legends.  It seemed like the best for fjords and now several posters have confirmed that.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I would advise Norse Legends, too.

@StLouisCruisers My brother is the owner of Maull's BBQ (a St. Louis original).  I figured you might know the brand.  I think the Norse Legends is the way to go.

Thanks to all for the advice and help

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

I think we are going to take the Norse Legends.  It seemed like the best for fjords and now several posters have confirmed that.

@StLouisCruisers My brother is the owner of Maull's BBQ (a St. Louis original).  I figured you might know the brand.  I think the Norse Legends is the way to go.

Thanks to all for the advice and help

I do remember Maull's barbecue sauce.  It must be what my parents used while growing up.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.  After getting married in 1969 (tomorrow is our 53rd anniversary), we moved hither and yon with DH's career.  So I wasn't always able to purchase or use it.  You have to learn lots of new things when you change states.  It takes a while to get used to the new way of life.

• Like 1