Registering Credit Card

mafig

I filled out all the pre-cruise information for my cruise on Oct. 29 about a month ago.  I did not fill out the Credit Card information because I had read it was not necessary and could be done on board.

However, I have not received my e-docs.  Whenever I go to MSC's website it tells me to check in at 20 days.  However, many people on my cruise have already  gotten their e-docs.  Today there was a post that said they had the same message (20 days) but after filling out their credit card information they received their documents.

So today I tried.  I filled out our Credit Card info.  It took for my husband, but it would not allow it to add me.  Then I tried putting in the same info. for me (we both use the same CC, but have our names on our cards) and it said "invalid".  

What should I do.???  There is a little check mark next to dh's name on "online check in".  

I really would just like to get me e-docs sooner (like most people) rather than later (and have to call).

There have been lots of issues with trying to register a credit card online. I was never able to register mine online for my January cruise, but had no issue getting my eDocs and boarding the ship. it was very easy to add my card at one of the kiosks once I boarded the ship.

Our on board credit card has never been billed in euros. 
I expect that depends on where you sail out of. 

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Also, try to use a card that doesn't charge Foreign Transaction Fees because the onboard accounts are billed in Euros.

55 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I don't know how I would tell what bank processed the charge, but the merchant description actually says Geneva, not Paris.

image.thumb.png.8e0ea9247aad6b2781d1f8097c3f726e.png

The merchant, or the beneficiary of your purchase is MSC Cruises Geneva. The MSC's bank used to be a French one.

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

I don't know how I would tell what bank processed the charge, but the merchant description actually says Geneva, not Paris.

image.thumb.png.8e0ea9247aad6b2781d1f8097c3f726e.png

We had been warned about the onboard account being charged by a foreign bank even on US sailings, so we made sure to use a card with no Foreign Transaction Fees.  However, looking back at the statement, the charges were in USD and not Euros.  So presumably they made the conversion and billed in the cardholders' default currency.  I looked at other charges that were made in Euros from a previous trip, and it clearly shows the billing made in Euros and the conversion rate.

10 minutes ago, mafig said:

If I recall the amount is very small, is it not?

It depends on the card. A typical foreign transaction fee might be 3% of the transaction amount. It gets you nothing, so best avoided by using a card that doesn't charge it.

Arguably the more expensive scenario, though, is if the merchant asks if you want a purchase made in foreign currency converted to USD on their side. Those conversion fees can be really high. A conversion done by your bank/card is at reasonable rates. But you do want to avoid the foreign transaction fee by using a card that doesn't charge one.

• Like 1