Coastal Kitchen Questions

slyster

37 minutes ago, slyster said:

It sounds like the best time to go is on the first night.  I'll try to do that.  We always eat in the MDR so that feels a bit different.  We love filet!  Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Look at the menus in the app as there are other nights that have some decent options.  Don't let any of us sway you one way or another.  Give it a try and come back and tell us what you think!  🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slyster said:

It sounds like the best time to go is on the first night.  I'll try to do that.  We always eat in the MDR so that feels a bit different.  We love filet!  Thanks for everyone's feedback!

The suggestion I've seen is - for first timers (like us, and it sounds like you) maybe lean towards going every night (unless you have affirmative other plans) and then use that to decide in the future. Lots of different reactions on this board.

1 minute ago, Bushdog said:

The suggestion I've seen is - for first timers (like us, and it sounds like you) maybe lean towards going every night (unless you have affirmative other plans) and then use that to decide in the future. Lots of different reactions on this board.

good point.  It's a 7 night cruise and we are probably going to have 2 or 3 specialty restaurant reservations too.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:57 AM, slyster said:

Do they have made-to-order omelets in CK?  I was going to check out wipe out cafe if WJ was crowded.

On Quantum for the last two weeks made to order omelettes are available in Coastal Kitchen. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 1:19 AM, slyster said:

I am super excited.  We have booked a GS on Allure next year and this is our second cruise in a suite (Radiance 5 years ago).  I have some questions about Coastal Kitchen:

1. Do they require reservations?

2.  Do you find your own seat or do they seat you themselves?

3.  Can you explain the breakfast set up?  Is it a buffet or do you order from a menu?  I would love to have made to order omelette.

4.  Is there a suggested dress code throughout the day? Especially dinner?  On par with the MDR?

5.  Anything else that makes CK unique to other dining venues on the ship?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1.Yes.

2. We always sat on our own.

3. Order from a menu.

4. On par with MDR maybe a little smarter and nice dress shorts although I never wore them other folks did.

5. Usually excellent service and the view is good if eating early with a window seat although we normally eat late probably about 20.30 plus it’s definitely quieter and has more ambience.

Having said that depending on the menu we also enjoy the MDR and also eat in there.

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Then your dinner menu will be different each nice. 

Okay thank you.  I actually looked at the app and I see the menus now.  The sailing isn’t until August 2023 but it doesn’t have the filet on night 1 like others have mentioned.  It has a grilled NY strip.  It looks like the filet mignon is on Day 3.  I will shoot for that.  Of course it may all change a year away LOL

5 minutes ago, slyster said:

Okay thank you.  I actually looked at the app and I see the menus now.  The sailing isn’t until August 2023 but it doesn’t have the filet on night 1 like others have mentioned.  It has a grilled NY strip.  It looks like the filet mignon is on Day 3.  I will shoot for that.  Of course it may all change a year away LOL

Definitely do not trust the app as far as menus go this far out. I recently had some not fully update until embarkation day. The app often shows you the menus for the current sailing even though you're logged into your future cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Definitely do not trust the app as far as menus go this far out. I recently had some not fully update until embarkation day. The app often shows you the menus for the current sailing even though you're logged into your future cruise.

Okay, thanks for that. 

On 9/7/2022 at 8:59 PM, OCSC Mike said:

4. I saw shorts at night on Harmony a few months ago, just like I see in the MDR.

5. Agree about the night one filet, it was excellent, but the rest of the dinners were only slightly better than the MDR (if that) IMO, not specialty restaurant quality.

Same, we did not find coastal kitchen to be really any better than the MDR.  Specialty restaurants are FAR better than Coastal Kitchen, and I'm surprised anyone would think to put coastal kitchen on par with those.

We really enjoyed having a cappuccino machine at our disposal, free alcoholic drinks in the evenings, being able to have a sit down breakfast, and a nice less hectic place to go and eat after boarding.  But the dinner food was mediocre at best, and it felt weird sitting in a more lounge like setting for dinner.  We ended up at the MDR after night 3.

41 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

Same, we did not find coastal kitchen to be really any better than the MDR.  Specialty restaurants are FAR better than Coastal Kitchen, and I'm surprised anyone would think to put coastal kitchen on par with those.

We really enjoyed having a cappuccino machine at our disposal, free alcoholic drinks in the evenings, being able to have a sit down breakfast, and a nice less hectic place to go and eat after boarding.  But the dinner food was mediocre at best, and it felt weird sitting in a more lounge like setting for dinner.  We ended up at the MDR after night 3.

Agree when we have access to coastal kitchen it’s good for breakfast and we also normally only in there for dinner about three times.

Still enjoy the MDR.