Oasis cruise 8/28 - 9/4, the good, bad, and ugly.

GWM907

3 hours ago, mmcgann11 said:

We, too, were on this cruise. OP pretty much has it down -- we had MTD and never made it to dinner in the MDR. Staff was great, but a lot of issues with overcrowding. I rated the cruise as a 7.5 on a scale of 10. First time we've been on one lower than 8.5.

Going to be tough sell for us to sail on anything larger than Quantum class -- two excellent sailings on Anthem for us to date -- going forward.

What time was your MTD reservation?  Or if not reserved, what time were you trying to get in?

I’m on Allure presently and there’s 1 person hiding behind the pole by the kitchen door and the eggs, pancakes, etc station that takes orders for fresh made eggs and omelets.  Unlike the Anthem the omelet stations which at times may be 2-4 at any given time is not readily advertised on Allure. I had to ask and was told whom to see. 

I sailed Oasis in September  ‘21 and can’t recall if there was one or not. Will find out in October sail. 

Also, these stations on Anthem are converted to pasta stations at lunch. Don’t know if same at dinner. 

prior to that pandemic, the MDR on Oasis class and the Q class had a buffet area that had a couple of omelet maker and at lunch pasta stations.  Keep asking if they will ever bring it back.  Unknown at this time. 

As a solo I’ve had good performance in the turn around time i the MDR especially if I have a show to attend. 

Allure has probably the best production show in the fleet—mamma Mia. 
Filled to capacity when I attended on Tuesday.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mets123 said:

I was on the Oasis both in May and June. I agree 100 percent about the Windjammer, it was like that back then. Sorry to hear it hasn't changed. But if Raja is still in charge up there, then it explains a lot. He has no people skills.

Compared to Anthem (our other RCCL experience) we were not impressed with the Windjammer back in May. I actually liked it a lot more for a late dinner (we'd go some days for a 'snack' after regular dinner) than lunch. Was a zoo.

They designed it, supposedly, smaller, because the expectation is that people will use the other offerings. Turns out that I think they underestimated people preferring the convenience of the buffet.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GWM907 said:

MDR - Very hit or miss. The quality of food seems to have gone downhill. I realize food is subjective so this is simply my opinion. The service however was definitely inconsistent. Some courses came out too fast while others took forever. We had traditional early seating. By the time we left the dining room the lines for MTD were unbelievably long. I mean from the entrance of the dining room as far back as they could go and then around the elevator areas. I would suggest you avoid MTD. RCCL seems to have a big problem handling it.

We sailed Oasis back in May (2nd sailing for the season out of Hoboken, I believe) and did MTD and had to battle every night to get seated. Had to argue all nights but 1 to get our wait staff (whom we liked very much). We were delayed, too. Worth mention, I made reservations each night. 

We're sailing again leaving 9/11. In this case as we're in a Suite we're going to be at CK, but I will push my Wife in the future to do traditional early or late seating. MTD was a headache. BTW, I don't even completely blame the folks managing it. They had people show up extra early and demand to be seated in certain areas, etc... But this worked poorly, regardless. Not consistent with previous experiences on Anthem.

2 minutes ago, mets123 said:

We've been on the Anthem at least 15 times. The Windjammer there is great. They really got their act together.

Definitely a superior product vs Oasis (based on my experience on both).

I was on this same cruise.  We had 5:30 dining and our food, waiter and assistant waiter were all great.  Had breakfast once in the Solarium Bistro and it was pleasantly easy to find a table since not too many people were in there.  While we were eating lots of people started coming in.  Found out that Windjammer was so crowded they were sending people to the Bistro.  Glad we go there when we did.  We did the Windjammer twice for breakfast...both on sea days which I think makes a difference.  We had no problem finding a table for 10.  I was disappointed that there was no omelet station...I had read beforehand on CC that was the case.  I'm not a fan of the scrambled eggs that are put out and would definitely prefer the omelet station.  We were actually very happy that the garage was full.  So much easier to get out when parked street level.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nelblu said:

I’m on Allure presently and there’s 1 person hiding behind the pole by the kitchen door and the eggs, pancakes, etc station that takes orders for fresh made eggs and omelets.  Unlike the Anthem the omelet stations which at times may be 2-4 at any given time is not readily advertised on Allure. I had to ask and was told whom to see. 

I sailed Oasis in September  ‘21 and can’t recall if there was one or not. Will find out in October sail. 

Also, these stations on Anthem are converted to pasta stations at lunch. Don’t know if same at dinner. 

prior to that pandemic, the MDR on Oasis class and the Q class had a buffet area that had a couple of omelet maker and at lunch pasta stations.  Keep asking if they will ever bring it back.  Unknown at this time. 

As a solo I’ve had good performance in the turn around time i the MDR especially if I have a show to attend. 

Allure has probably the best production show in the fleet—mamma Mia. 
Filled to capacity when I attended on Tuesday.

So would you and the OP and Sunshine recommend the UDP for the bigger class of ships?Hope to be on one soon..First time on the big ships!!

2 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

So would you and the OP and Sunshine recommend the UDP for the bigger class of ships?Hope to be on one soon..First time on the big ships!!

I have never done the UDP on any ship.  I guess it depends on how much you like the menus for various specialty and if worth the extra $$$. 

If we buy a dining pkg we usually get the 3 night pkg or do the BOGO as there are certain dinners in MDR that we look forward to.  Sometimes we order the Chops Filet in the MDR for $16.95.   We are not izumi people, except the hibachi.  

Playmakers has decent menu for lunch but once a week is enough for me.  We did not try portside bbq but heard it was average, nothing to rave about.

CP 150 is a great place.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Donsyb said:

What time was your MTD reservation?  Or if not reserved, what time were you trying to get in?

7:30. We arrived promptly at 7:25 an they were seating the 6:45 reservations, with a line running back past the elevators.

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I did one of the 11 night sailings last January.   They are nice itineraries.  We love cruising that time of year.  

We were supposed to but the covid surge last Christmas scared my wife. She said do whatever I want which is wife speak "we're not going".

• Like 1