Ultimate Balcony Dinner?

LMADAMS91

On 9/8/2022 at 9:50 PM, LMADAMS91 said:

We're booked on the 2/4/23 sailing of Sky and I booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner as a surprise for my husband, but can't find a lot of information about it.  It sounds like there is a decent chance it may not happen unless things change between now and then but IF we get to do it...is there a set menu or do we have options? Are adult beverages included or do we need to order those to be delivered (we have the plus package.) My husband isn't much of a drinker but I like a glass or two of wine with dinner.. Are all courses delivered at once? Are the servers tipped separately at the end of the evening? Thanks for any info you could provide! 

We're on the 2-4-23 Sky sailing also.  What exactly do you mean when you say it might not happen?  I've not heard anything about it possibly not going on?

3 hours ago, candy4040 said:

We're on the 2-4-23 Sky sailing also.  What exactly do you mean when you say it might not happen?  I've not heard anything about it possibly not going on?

I've read on different threads that the UBD was booked but cancelled due to staffing/Covid....whatever reasons. I'm just talking about the dinner...not the cruise itself.  

• 1 year later...

We just did our first UBD recently on the Crown.  I don't know what is considered good and tipping is personal to everyone, I'll just give you our experience.

We tipped both of the servers $20 each.  They were excellent and it does seem to involve a lot of work for them, especially the one that has to keep running back and forth to get food.  They seemed really appreciative of the tips.  I did notice a charge to our folio of $19.80 a few days later and had to ask customer service what it was for since it was worded oddly.  They said it was the gratuity for the UBD.  I thought it was part of the price we paid before the cruise but I guess not.  We didn't remove the $19.80.  In the future we may not tip as much the night of since it seems we tipped about 54%.  It was a great experience though!

2 minutes ago, 2MellowCruisers said:

We just did our first UBD recently on the Crown.  I don't know what is considered good and tipping is personal to everyone, I'll just give you our experience.

We tipped both of the servers $20 each.  They were excellent and it does seem to involve a lot of work for them, especially the one that has to keep running back and forth to get food.  They seemed really appreciative of the tips.  I did notice a charge to our folio of $19.80 a few days later and had to ask customer service what it was for since it was worded oddly.  They said it was the gratuity for the UBD.  I thought it was part of the price we paid before the cruise but I guess not.  We didn't remove the $19.80.  In the future we may not tip as much the night of since it seems we tipped about 54%.  It was a great experience though!

Thanks, appreciate the info. Wonder if others have had the same experience.  I prefer to do my own tipping. 

4 minutes ago, 2MellowCruisers said:

It used to be included in the price.  But, in the last year, I’ve noticed they have been adding it on the folio at 18%.  Also, SD too.

So, we also won’t do as much as in the past.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ndolly said:

Thanks, appreciate the info. Wonder if others have had the same experience.  I prefer to do my own tipping. 

Our next cruise, when RS calls to go over the meal, I will ask if they are going to put the 18% gratuity on my folio.  Just so I know.

• 3 months later...

What happens if you pick a day and the weather is bad that night?  Does it get cancelled or rescheduled or do they try to do it inside the cabin instead of the balcony?  Just thinking about this for our Norway 2025 cruise.

12 minutes ago, FeliciaB said:

What happens if you pick a day and the weather is bad that night?  Does it get cancelled or rescheduled or do they try to do it inside the cabin instead of the balcony?  Just thinking about this for our Norway 2025 cruise.

We check the weather and if it’s going to be bad, we call RS and reschedule it for another day.

If it is a special day you chose, you can keep it and they’ll set it up inside. Whatever you want to do. NP

• Like 1

@FeliciaB, three of our UBDs have been in the cabin.  All of these were standard balcony cabins on either side of the ship.  When you are underway at sea, it can be darned windy on the balcony, and we just chose not to put up with that.  There is plenty of room in the cabin for them to set up the table next to the slider.  We leave the slider slightly open so that we can smell the fresh air and hear the ocean. 

When we enjoyed our fourth UBD we had an aft-facing balcony that was completely protected from the wind, and, so, that was a very pleasant experience.

• Like 3

I'd love to do this on our upcoming Hawaii cruise in early December on Discovery.

But it looks dismal for a couple of vegetarians.  Menu substitutions would be over the top ...  Does anyone have experience, as a vegetarian, with the UBD?

On 1/27/2024 at 3:13 PM, 2MellowCruisers said:

We have done the UBD 3 times and always tip the servers directly. I have never had any additional charges for gratuities added to my folio

7 hours ago, FeliciaB said:

We have always been fortunate enough to have the UBD on the balcony and always while sailing..  On our last cruise I checked weather and specifically chose a day as we were leaving Puerto Vallarta heading back to L.A. in April. Any other day would probably have put us indoors, so we got lucky on that one.

3 minutes ago, OccasionalSanta said:

Agreed.. I always suggest skipping lunch if you can.

I don't actually like being presented with too much food, must be my upbringing but I feel I have to eat everything on my plate !

4 hours ago, Freckles1983 said:

Can you do this on the emerald princess?  I can’t seem to find an option on the app

Yes Emerald offers it. I have it reserved on our upcoming trip. It’s on the website under extras and then food and beverage experiences.

We are considering doing this for the first time, when we board Enchanted.

Hoping the odds are that the ship is pulled in, not backed in, at St. Thomas to enjoy the wonderful view, and possibly some sunset!!!!   

I am quite sure that the Captain would be oblivious to my request !

I have become quite good at enjoying the best of what is there and leaving some....

I, too, hate waste...  and try to make sure that nothing is wasted at home... The two of us often split larger entrees when we dine out.   (Did this every single time on our last vacation...  partially because the incredibly high cost there...  never went hungry.)

But, in this case...  Eat, Drink, and enjoy!!!

9 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

We have done the UBD 3 times and always tip the servers directly. I have never had any additional charges for gratuities added to my folio

I was surprised by the odd charge which is why I went to guest services.  This was our first Ultimate Balcony Dining but we have done specialty dining in the past and the gratuity is baked into the fee paid so I wanted to question what the odd charge was.  This is what they told me.  I'm glad you were not charged additional but that was our experience.

13 hours ago, Freckles1983 said:

Can you do this on the emerald princess?  I can’t seem to find an option on the app

It's available on every Princess ship.

You don't book it via the app. It's via the Cruise Personalizer on the website.

The app doesn't include all the options available on advance.