Ultimate Balcony Dinner?

LMADAMS91

We're booked on the 2/4/23 sailing of Sky and I booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner as a surprise for my husband, but can't find a lot of information about it.  It sounds like there is a decent chance it may not happen unless things change between now and then but IF we get to do it...is there a set menu or do we have options? Are adult beverages included or do we need to order those to be delivered (we have the plus package.) My husband isn't much of a drinker but I like a glass or two of wine with dinner.. Are all courses delivered at once? Are the servers tipped separately at the end of the evening? Thanks for any info you could provide! 

1 hour ago, LMADAMS91 said:

We're booked on the 2/4/23 sailing of Sky and I booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner as a surprise for my husband, but can't find a lot of information about it.  It sounds like there is a decent chance it may not happen unless things change between now and then but IF we get to do it...is there a set menu or do we have options? Are adult beverages included or do we need to order those to be delivered (we have the plus package.) My husband isn't much of a drinker but I like a glass or two of wine with dinner.. Are all courses delivered at once? Are the servers tipped separately at the end of the evening? Thanks for any info you could provide! 

It's been happening on Regal, FWIW. 

It's a set menu, the assistant maitre 'd will come to your cabin a day before and go over the menu. You have a choice of mains, ie steak, lobster or steak and lobster. They'll make subs within reason. We order a ribeye instead of a filet mignon, for instance. 

Appetizer,  salad are set - crab cake and walnut/pear salad. Dessert is a specialty chocolate bersy thing only available via UBD.

It includes half bottle of champagne, one pre-dinner cocktail, flowers you keep,  and a photo (ship's photographer will come and take several, you then choose one next day). 

Bread and butter, petit fours also included.

It's served course by course, there's a waiter ans assistant waiter. They're unobtrusive,  wait in the hall while you're eating, check-in periodically..

They'll come around 15 minutes before start time to set up the table - linens, China, silver, flowers,  etc.  Take a couple battery or solar tea lights to help set the mood.

It's a truly lovely experience and one of the best values on-board... it is a ton of food, truly.  

Enjoy!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

It's been happening on Regal, FWIW. 

It's a set menu, the assistant maitre 'd will come to your cabin a day before and go over the menu. You have a choice of mains, ie steak, lobster or steak and lobster. They'll make subs within reason. We order a ribeye instead of a filet mignon, for instance. 

Appetizer,  salad are set - crab cake and walnut/pear salad. Dessert is a specialty chocolate bersy thing only available via UBD.

It includes half bottle of champagne, one pre-dinner cocktail, flowers you keep,  and a photo (ship's photographer will come and take several, you then choose one next day). 

Bread and butter, petit fours also included.

It's served course by course, there's a waiter ans assistant waiter. They're unobtrusive,  wait in the hall while you're eating, check-in periodically..

They'll come around 15 minutes before start time to set up the table - linens, China, silver, flowers,  etc.  Take a couple battery or solar tea lights to help set the mood.

It's a truly lovely experience and one of the best values on-board... it is a ton of food, truly.  

Enjoy!!!

Are you saying we should provide the tea lights or they bring them?

4 hours ago, LMADAMS91 said:

Are the servers tipped separately at the end of the evening? 

We are not from a nation of big tippers,  but we gave our two servers large tips at the end of the evening !

They were excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

Are you saying we should provide the tea lights or they bring them?

As noted, you would need to take them should you want them. We usually bring a couple battery or solar "candles" or tea lights, it's adds to the ambiance. We use them in the cabin for low level lighting, ambience, etc Suggestion, not need. We also always have a small Bluetooth speaker and play some soft background music. Again, suggestion, not need. 

As to tipping, we come from a land of no tipping,  or at best rounding up a tab.. (service charge is automatic where we come from).  We've personally found the experience and service so much more than expected that we do tip.  It's entirely at your discretion.  We tip them individually,  others may do a lump sum that's then split by the wat staff, and others may not tip additional.  Your choice..

Enjoy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have made several changes to the set menu when doing the UBD. I don't eat pears and DH does not eat nuts, so we get plain salads. We always ask for broccoli instead of asparagus. We're not fond of the dessert and have asked for something else. Once it was a raspberry creme brulee. Another time they were able to serve us flourless chocolate cake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, reedprincess said:

As noted, you would need to take them should you want them. We usually bring a couple battery or solar "candles" or tea lights, it's adds to the ambiance. We use them in the cabin for low level lighting, ambience, etc Suggestion, not need. We also always have a small Bluetooth speaker and play some soft background music. Again, suggestion, not need. 

As to tipping, we come from a land of no tipping,  or at best rounding up a tab.. (service charge is automatic where we come from).  We've personally found the experience and service so much more than expected that we do tip.  It's entirely at your discretion.  We tip them individually,  others may do a lump sum that's then split by the wat staff, and others may not tip additional.  Your choice..

Enjoy. 

Thanks for all the suggestions and info.  

• Thanks 1

@LMADAMS91 The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is the best dining experience on Princess.  I love the fact that two servers are dedicated to us.

Just to give a bit more info, here is a standard UBD menu.  Admittedly, this is a pre-pandemic menu, but I would be surprised if the current version is much different.

358051776_UBDp1.thumb.jpg.cbb8a1baba7fa55c865951fc87927348.jpg

811507568_UBDp2.thumb.jpg.b0f54c6cc9e42de4d7e3e27a55c23373.jpg

We have never deviated from the standard menu, but I have read multiple reports here on Cruise Critic where dietary restrictions or personal preferences have been accommodated.  On this very conversation there have been reports of diners swapping out the Champagne and the dessert.

I have to say, however, that I love the dessert even though I am not much of a chocolate lover.

IMG_4011.jpg.f4c28f04f621ba2bcdb889b25dcdb8f8.jpg

I apologize for my poor photography skills.

The last thing the servers bring to you--"Friandises" in the menu--as they wish you a good evening is one thing that seems to vary from ship to ship.  I have seen Petit Fours and I have seen cookies.  By the time they deliver this, we have been stuffed.  So, we eat them over the next few days.

Since, we are noshing on cookies or petit fours for a few days, we always tend to schedule our UBDs early in the cruise.  Also, the floral centerpiece that they bring with the table will last for several days.

Have a great cruise, and Bon Appetit.

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

@geoherb  thanks for the pics - If we get to do this, I need to remember to ask that kiwi not be plated on the canapes ... wife is highly allergic

Yes it is prudent to advise of all allergies.  It looks like they used the Kiwi Fruit as a garnish on @geoherb's UBD.  On another ship or cruise, they may garnish with something else.  Also, somebody who is highly allergic to shellfish probably should not sit at a table where shrimp are served on the canapes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fishin' musician said:

The finest meal I've ever had on a ship!  We were sailing out of Athens on our anniverary, surprised the Mrs.  Almost as much as the Alaska trip in the youtube vid in my signature (snuck the kids onboard).

That’s great!  I love to surprise my DH all the time. Even where we are going. 
UBD and extra b2b’s, etc.  So much fun!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XBGuy said:

@LMADAMS91 The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is the best dining experience on Princess.  I love the fact that two servers are dedicated to us.

Just to give a bit more info, here is a standard UBD menu.  Admittedly, this is a pre-pandemic menu, but I would be surprised if the current version is much different.

358051776_UBDp1.thumb.jpg.cbb8a1baba7fa55c865951fc87927348.jpg

811507568_UBDp2.thumb.jpg.b0f54c6cc9e42de4d7e3e27a55c23373.jpg

We have never deviated from the standard menu, but I have read multiple reports here on Cruise Critic where dietary restrictions or personal preferences have been accommodated.  On this very conversation there have been reports of diners swapping out the Champagne and the dessert.

I have to say, however, that I love the dessert even though I am not much of a chocolate lover.

IMG_4011.jpg.f4c28f04f621ba2bcdb889b25dcdb8f8.jpg

I apologize for my poor photography skills.

The last thing the servers bring to you--"Friandises" in the menu--as they wish you a good evening is one thing that seems to vary from ship to ship.  I have seen Petit Fours and I have seen cookies.  By the time they deliver this, we have been stuffed.  So, we eat them over the next few days.

Since, we are noshing on cookies or petit fours for a few days, we always tend to schedule our UBDs early in the cruise.  Also, the floral centerpiece that they bring with the table will last for several days.

Have a great cruise, and Bon Appetit.

I love the fact that Princess state that the champagne is French ! It cannot be called champagne if it is not French !

But, in forty years of marriage,  my wife tells me that the two best dinners of our marriage were on an over ocean  restaurant in the Maldives, and our Balcony Dinner on Sky Princess leaving Antigua. 

And the UBD was considerably cheaper than the Maldives !

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I love the fact that Princess state that the champagne is French ! It cannot be called champagne if it is not French !

For three of the four UBDs that we have enjoyed were were served Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne.  One time, though, they brought a Prosecco.  Apparently, they did not have any more of the half-bottles of the Nicolas Feuillatte.  I was fine with it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LMADAMS91 said:

Look on the Princess.com Personalizer.  You can book it there.  You get a half bottle of champagne and each get a cocktail.  It costs $100.
Not sure on the tip though. We're thinking of doing this too!

2 minutes ago, JudiinMt said:

Where are you finding the Ultimate Balcony Dining for dinner?  We LOVE that option but all I see in my cruise personalizer is for the breakfast.

I've been looking regularly for our trans pacific cruise next month.

It's under Dining Options on the personalizer.

13 minutes ago, JudiinMt said:

Where are you finding the Ultimate Balcony Dining for dinner?  We LOVE that option but all I see in my cruise personalizer is for the breakfast.

I've been looking regularly for our trans pacific cruise next month.

Onboard services
Food and beverage experiences

move down

UBD  right before

UBB

@JudiinMt Did you find it?

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1