Regents Seven Seas - Gratuity

Ksedmom

On 12/9/2022 at 5:33 PM, jessandarnie said:

We have cruised a number of other cruise lines, we really appreciate ( at a substantial cost way above others), what Regent offers us..one total cost up front, knowing that we are not paying  out for additional expenses, e.g, tours, alcohol, dining, taxes and importantly gratuities.   Yes we are from Australia where we are not accustomed to tipping. We also are paying a lot more to cruise with Regent, we can do this in AUD $ here, then everything is taken care of. It is comforting know Regent Seven Seas values their crew and rewards them accordingly.
When we have cruised with other lines, we are subject to extra costs which are generally in USD, our exchange rate can vary,  between 50% to generally 80%  on these additional expenses. This has been and is always a consideration whenever we head to USA, we don’t have a unlimited budget consequently we always have to take this into account when we travel.

There are lots of opinions and viewpoints to this story.

We are also from Australia…like you we cruise RSSC for what it provides, all inclusive costs.

It is a relief to go on a cruise knowing we will not incur further expenses in a cocktail or 2, nice restaurants, choice optional tours, and gratuities. What is it that we then could feel that we should offer more in tips…. like some of you do on here.

If the system doesn’t work, RSSC would not work like this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jessandarnie said:

We are also from Australia…like you we cruise RSSC for what it provides, all inclusive costs.

It is a relief to go on a cruise knowing we will not incur further expenses in a cocktail or 2, nice restaurants, choice optional tours, and gratuities. What is it that we then could feel that we should offer more in tips…. like some of you do on here.

If the system doesn’t work, RSSC would not work like this.

There is zero pressure to tip an additional amount. The fact that some people do doesn't mean others need to. Tipping is neither required, suggested nor prohibited. 

I just look at it like a restaurant that already has the service charge included in the bill...I will tip extra as I know I will be back there in the future and I want them to do well...but no one expects it.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

There is zero pressure to tip an additional amount. The fact that some people do doesn't mean others need to. Tipping is neither required, suggested nor prohibited. 

I just look at it like a restaurant that already has the service charge included in the bill...I will tip extra as I know I will be back there in the future and I want them to do well...but no one expects it.

Excellent summation, PC.  I'm sure someone else will have to repeat the same message about 6 times a year, as newbies sign on for the first time and others...will just want to whip that poor horse to death...once again.

😉🐴

Also, those new to Regent should note that the Spa staff are not Regent employees.  They are employed by a different company, independent of Regent.  As a result, you will be asked to sign a bill when you check out of the spa.  It will include an automatic gratuity (I believe 18%, but I could be wrong).  There is also a line to allow you to add an additional gratuity, if you wish to do so.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:33 PM, cwn said:

+1 besides the comment card praise leads to a chance for improved position and pay raise which are permanent vs a one time cash in hand tip.

You can do both

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

The Spa services are very overpriced .

No drying machine for nails. No disposable toe separators. Limited nail polish. Ridiculous!

Is this Mr Stanley or Mrs Tanley who is concerned about the color selection, the toe separators (which I don’t really like,  I have little toes) and no drying machines(these days many places don’t have them because the  polish is quick dry and some folks are concerned about the UV lights and cancer). 

Totally, agree on the price comment!  

Tanley.  

9 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Ok, so now I will add to my “list” nail stuff…no way can I do a cruise with just a carry on! ☺️will explore on shore services for mani/pedi.

What I often to do on long cruises is find a nail place in a port if we have along stay in the port. Not only is it cheaper (and maybe better), you get the experience of "bonding" with the local women.  It is culturally interesting.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 4:08 PM, irishwitchy said:

Since tipping is included, just hand out stickers.  Funny,  I worked in tech and did have stickers on my laptop,  but since I retired,  I don’t really see the need for them.  

Could someone please explain this?  Are stickers a code word for something else or are stickers like the bits of paper 5 year olds get for play or in cereal boxes. Would adults like stickers better than tips? I must be missing something. Thanks

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

Could someone please explain this?  Are stickers a code word for something else or are stickers like the bits of paper 5 year olds get for play or in cereal boxes. Would adults like stickers better than tips? I must be missing something. Thanks

I don't understand it either. It makes sense if done in conjunction with a tip/mention on the survey. We often go shopping for the crew if they can't get off the ship and need something or we meet up with them ashore and buy them a round or two of drinks.

32 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I don't understand it either. It makes sense if done in conjunction with a tip/mention on the survey. We often go shopping for the crew if they can't get off the ship and need something or we meet up with them ashore and buy them a round or two of drinks.

On our last Splendor cruise (TA), we tipped our room stewards, butler and various other staff, and also contributed to the Staff Fund. We also brought some local candy from Savannah and gave them to stewards and butler.....we were told that in their culture (sorry....can not remember countries they were from) that having candy given to them is almost "sacred" and very much appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Please be prepared that if you purchase anything additional (e.g. bottle of wine, special cocktail, special event), you will be given something to sign which includes a line for a gratuity.  It was a surprise to us.  

Just now, Knottheads said:

Please be prepared that if you purchase anything additional (e.g. bottle of wine, special cocktail, special event), you will be given something to sign which includes a line for a gratuity.  It was a surprise to us.  

We order from the Connoisseur Wine List on occasion as well as a Lagavulin.  Yes, something to sign but nowhere is there a line for gratuity. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

We order from the Connoisseur Wine List on occasion as well as a Lagavulin.  Yes, something to sign but nowhere is there a line for gratuity. 

Interesting.  We are currently onboard the Grandeur - two nights ago and last night we ordered a bottle from the list and today we attended the special wine lunch.  When we were asked to sign, all three receipts had a gratuity line directly above the signature line.  We had excellent sommelier service last night (in Prime 7), so we chose to add one, but we did not enter anything for the other two receipts.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Knottheads said:

Interesting.  We are currently onboard the Grandeur - two nights ago and last night we ordered a bottle from the list and today we attended the special wine lunch.  When we were asked to sign, all three receipts had a gratuity line directly above the signature line.  We had excellent sommelier service last night (in Prime 7), so we chose to add one, but we did not enter anything for the other two receipts.  

Would you be comfortable posting a picture of this gratuity line? I believe you but it would put the issue to rest.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Would you be comfortable posting a picture of this gratuity line? I believe you but it would put the issue to rest.

That would be helpful.  We were on Grandeur in December and indulged in wine off the specialty list (whatever Regent calls it) twice(both times in Prime 7.)  Don't remember a gratuity line, but by that time evening merriment had been had. 

We have been on Regent more times than I can count. In fact we cruised it back when it was Radisson. We have never tipped anybody onboard. We never use the Spa, where tips are mandatory, which is not run by Regent. When you pay your fare for a Regent cruise, you ARE tipping. Many other lines don’t include tips in their fare, but add them on in some fashion. Regent’s program is more honest

On 2/4/2024 at 6:42 AM, Pcardad said:

I didn’t notice a tip line on Grandeur last month. I guess what I really mean is I don’t remember seeing one. Once I get onboard I become blind to such things. 

On 1/14/2024 at 6:36 PM, mrstanley said:

The Spa services are very overpriced .

Yeah, For years I've had a masseuse come to our house and give both DW and me massages for about the same as one massage on RSSC.