Is royal up only determined a few days before sailing?

mcatmcat

This is just a question, not a criticism of anybody.  I have NO experience with the Royal-Up program.  However, I have read a few posts in this forum and other cruise social media sites where people have been told that they were awarded their Royal-Up only to find out closer to embarkation day that the decision was reversed.  Is that true/possible?  If true, I'd not trust the program. Getting my wife's and my hopes up and then dashed is just not worth it to me.  I don't like disappointment, had enough of it in my life.  

No, I haven't read every post in this thread, so if this has been discussed/answered, excuse me.  And no, I'm not whining, just stating fact.

1 hour ago, BruceinPA said:

Similarly, I've seen references in comments to looking through room inventory to see exactly how many grand suites, junior suites, balconies, etc. are still available. Where/when is that information available?

I don't know if there's a more efficient way of doing it, but if you go to RC's site and pretend like you're making a new booking you can usually see what rooms are left in a particular category.  The issue is that for some cruises/categories you'll get to the page where you pick your room type and it will only allow for a "guaranty" room (i.e., you don't get to select your room).  In that case I have no idea how you'd find out how many of those rooms are left.  But if they let you pick your room you just go through the deck plans and count 'em up...

Just now, Ret MP said:

😟

We didn't mind. We were upgraded to a large Oceanview balcony from an outside room with royal up. It was just startling to be in the check in line and pull up out set sail pass and it be totally different from what we put on our luggage. Lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmiGirl826 said:

We didn't mind. We were upgraded to a large Oceanview balcony from an outside room with royal up. It was just startling to be in the check in line and pull up out set sail pass and it be totally different from what we put on our luggage. Lol

Well then, you probably handled it much better than I would have!

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

This is just a question, not a criticism of anybody.  I have NO experience with the Royal-Up program.  However, I have read a few posts in this forum and other cruise social media sites where people have been told that they were awarded their Royal-Up only to find out closer to embarkation day that the decision was reversed.  Is that true/possible?  If true, I'd not trust the program. Getting my wife's and my hopes up and then dashed is just not worth it to me.  I don't like disappointment, had enough of it in my life.  

No, I haven't read every post in this thread, so if this has been discussed/answered, excuse me.  And no, I'm not whining, just stating fact.

I've been trying to read as much as I can about this program, and I can't say I've seen any stories exactly like that.  But I did see one person state that there was some kind of error and the upgrade that they were told they won was not the upgrade that they actually won.  It was still an upgrade- and a good one- but somehow they had led this person to believe that they had won an even better room.  Otherwise everything I've seen is either people who legitimately got the upgrade or were confused because they received an e-mail that said something like "you haven't won yet but you still might" and then just never did.

On that last point- perhaps I haven't read the same posts you're reading, but I've seen a lot of posts where people's bids went from "pending" to "submitted" (or vice versa) and it gave them false hope.  I think as long as you understand that nothing is final unless/until they charge your card it doesn't really matter what the website says about the status of your bid...

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:21 AM, crusnbee said:

I canceled. I am one of those that only wants to unpack once.

Heck I'll wait until after dinner to unpack.  I have already bid and canceled on this cabin 3 times already, so when we were still eligible to bid today, I entered another bid. So this  is as hopeful as I can get since we leave on Wednesday to go down to Galveston. Fingers crossed.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:41 PM, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Does logging into my credit card account all the time to see if the charge has "hit" count?

I count on Hubs as he knows every time our CC gets charged automatically...no joy yet!  But he's caught me a couple times....LOL

With the greater possibility of cancellations due to positive covid tests I would guess they're waiting until much closer to sailing to give some of the upgrades. Plus, seems that the ships are sailing at 100% capacity so the cancellations may be the ONLY reason for some to get upgraded.

i have a different question. i booked a neighborhood guarantee room and then put a bid for an ocean view and large ocean view cabin. I’m wondering what cabin would i get if i didn’t put in a bid. If I took off by bids would I find out my regular neighborhood balcony gty. cabin sooner?  I just don’t want a Central park cabin on the 14th floor. Depending on what neighborhood cabin I get may not need to bid up.

The 9/11/22 (Sunday) recent 6 day cruise on the Allure, I was notified on the Thursday before that my Junior suite bid would be reviewed “on board” just prior to sailing.

The next day (Friday) I received notice that I had been upgraded, a full 2 days before sailing.  

We have been on 8 cruises in the past 12 months

and have won a bid 3 out of the 5 times we have placed a bid. Just to note; in all cases our bid was considered “weak” on their little bid meter.

There doesn’t seem to be any real rhythm or reason as to the if and when to the process. Good luck and have fun….

Edited by RRTcruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully we'll hear something this next mid week, we sail Monday next.  But we'll be out of pocket until then, doing business along our route.  Our bids have all been weak.  But we won the first one we did.  Seems like we found out the week before then too.

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, RRTcruiser said:

The 9/11/22 (Sunday) recent 6 day cruise on the Allure, I was notified on the Thursday before that my Junior suite bid would be reviewed “on board” just prior to sailing.

The next day (Friday) I received notice that I had been upgraded, a full 2 days before sailing.  

We have been on 8 cruises in the past 12 months

and have won a bid 3 out of the 5 times we have placed a bid. Just to note; in all cases our bid was considered “weak” on their little bid meter.

There doesn’t seem to be any real rhythm or reason as to the if and when to the process. Good luck and have fun….

Might mean not many are trying to Royal Up, people are satisfied with the cabin and location they booked. People may feel they paid enough for the "New Norm Cruising" and don't want to spend anymore money. Just my opinion since the cruise line is accepting "weak" bids.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 3:56 PM, EmiGirl826 said:

How did it work for your luggage if the old room was on your tag? 

On 9/12/2022 at 10:47 AM, mcatmcat said:

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if royal u is determined like 2-3 before boarding or it can happen anytime after you made the bid for a room. 

Thanks

Our cruise is 10/14, placed a bid on 9/1 and updated it on 9/16. On 9/26 it was accepted.